Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2014, 07:41 PM   #1

Slide cover

Has anyone had the slide cover come out of the channel that holds it against the coach? Do I need to take it in to be fixed or is it something g we can do ??
Cindycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #2

That's a good question. I was going to start a new one asking how hard is it to change your slide out awning covers. Mine are on a 2007 cayman 38' 3 slide outs. They are starting to tear at end fixed to M/H. Previous owner did temp fix with good old duct tape. He told me when I bought it a month ago that the slide out covers needed replacing!

Hurk
Hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:52 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Fellow next to us had an awning company replace his. He is extremely frugal so either it was cheap or it was overly complex as he normally does the work himself.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:07 PM   #4
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayleross View Post
Has anyone had the slide cover come out of the channel that holds it against the coach? Do I need to take it in to be fixed or is it something g we can do ??
Never had that happen. I think Carefree metal segmented covers slide into the channel afixed to the moho. If it has con=me out of the channel it sounds like the female channel has spread open and will have to be either reshaped or replaced.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:07 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Best to have someone who knows how to replace then do it.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:16 PM   #6
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayleross View Post
Never had that happen. I think Carefree metal segmented covers slide into the channel afixed to the moho. If it has con=me out of the channel it sounds like the female channel has spread open and will have to be either reshaped or replaced.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:30 AM   #7

Ours is a 2004 Dynasty. Probably time for replacement or at best an adjustment. Thank you for your reply.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:48 AM   #8
JFC

Monaco Owners Club
I've replaced two of the four on my 2007 Scepter. The Carefree has a pocket sewn in it that a plastic rod fits in and this fits into the channel on the coach. On mine, the thread Carefree used to create the pocket rotted out from sun and exposure, while the awning fabric itself was still intact I've read that some folks have been successful in removing the awning and having it re-stitched by an upholstery shop. Neither of the two service shops that replaced mine would do this, it was strictly replace with new.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Gayleross -- If you have Carefree slide awnings, it`s not a hard job to remove/replace the covers -- The metal covers will have a pin or screws at each end holding them on, & on the longer one`s, a latch in the middle -- Extend the slide all the way out, take the metal cover off -- On one end, dosen`t matter what end, take both hands & unroll the cover untill the channel is straight up, & then clamp the roller with the clamp pictured -- Take a drill & open up the channel about an inch -- You can then get to the polly rod - Pull the rod out of the channel, & the awning rail at the same time -- That`s it -- One man operation taking it off, two replacing it -- I purchased the oil filter wrench at Harbour Freifgt -- My wife & I replaced our four awnings in about two hours, & we`re 80 years old --If you need new covers, go to the web site stonevoss.com -- He`s very helpful, & knows his business -- Bill Willard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clamp.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	75890  
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:31 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
If you need new covers, go to the web site stonevoss.com -- He`s very helpful, & knows his business -- Bill Willard
Bill,

I can't get through to that site. Do you have a different address?

Bill's method is the easy way to do it. If your fabric is starting to tear or come loose, replace it now while it's easy. I didn't realize how bad mine was getting, and it suddenly tore along the whole length, releasing all of the spring tension in the roller. So my repair will be quite a bit more work as I attempt to wind the spring back up. Learn from me and replace the fabric before this happens to you!

Looking at the Carefree site, it seems like you have to go through a Carefree dealer to get replacement fabric. I was about to contact my dealer, but want to check out Bill's suggested site first.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:45 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I put an extra S in the address -- Try stonevos.com -- He has a Monaco product, & will lead you thru any problem you may have -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
I put an extra S in the address -- Try stonevos.com
Thanks! Looks interesting.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:38 AM   #13

Oh Boy! I think we can handle this. I'll let you know. Thank you so much!
Old 10-07-2014, 05:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFC View Post
I've replaced two of the four on my 2007 Scepter. The Carefree has a pocket sewn in it that a plastic rod fits in and this fits into the channel on the coach. On mine, the thread Carefree used to create the pocket rotted out from sun and exposure, while the awning fabric itself was still intact I've read that some folks have been successful in removing the awning and having it re-stitched by an upholstery shop. Neither of the two service shops that replaced mine would do this, it was strictly replace with new.
This is exactly what I'm doing right now on our 2007 Endeavor. I did the first one this spring and the other three covers are sitting in the garage awaiting help from a couple of younger neighbors. Total cost of having the four re-stitched is $120.

Not a hard job if you have help. Extended the slides, removed the roller covers, inserted a cotter pin to lock the roller, removed the hex head bolt from one end, had my two friends hand me the roller up on top of the bus, slid the awning out of the channel on the roller and then slid the other end of the awning out of the channel on the roof. Removal of the three slide toppers took a little over an hour. Anticipate it will take 1.5 hours to replace them.

After looking at the cost of replacing the covers, I figure I saved enough to pay for the diesel to get us to Arizona!
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide