Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2011, 07:08 AM   #1

Grand Design Owners Club
Slide out Adjustment

I have a slide-out that does not quite fully seal in one bottom corner. This is the road side living room slide and is the largest slide on the coach. It is an electric gear type mechanism which seems to be working well. This slide goes out and then settles down into the floor to make it pretty flat when extended. The front corner does not completely seal at the bottom leaving a half inch gap between the seal and the wall. I can see the adjustment for the back end of this slide in the storage area. The front seems to be a closed compartmented spot above the gas tank which looks to be tough to get to. Right now I"m peering in through the gas filler door the other side is closed off to the wheel well area.

Has anyone had to make adjustments on this slide??? Whats the best way to get at it??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #2

I have the same issue on my 04 beaver monterrey same side and slide, hope someone can help, I think it's a adjustment?.
Rfw1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Open the slide about half way, then measure the distance between the side of the slide & side of coach on both ends -- Should be within a quarter inch of each other -- If not, you can adjust the slide by removing the bolt/shear pin & moving the slide manually,or with the switch, till the holes match up again -- If, or when you break a shear pin/bolt, you`ll have to realign the slide using this method -- I`ve broke 3 on a 07 Camelot, & carry spare bolts -- The one over the fuel tank is a bit tough -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I had to adjust that slide on my 07 Knight. The front stop adjusting screw was behind the front tire up on the floor bottom, there is a flat plastic cover that is held on with some sheet medal screws. It is a long reach but I have long arms and I could reach it.
bborc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:04 AM   #5

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
Open the slide about half way, then measure the distance between the side of the slide & side of coach on both ends -- Should be within a quarter inch of each other -- If not, you can adjust the slide by removing the bolt/shear pin & moving the slide manually,or with the switch, till the holes match up again -- If, or when you break a shear pin/bolt, you`ll have to realign the slide using this method -- I`ve broke 3 on a 07 Camelot, & carry spare bolts -- The one over the fuel tank is a bit tough -- Bill Willard
Bill would it be possible to leave the front end alone and adjust the back end to even this up?
Old 06-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
You can adjust either end -- Pull the bolt where the square tube connects to the gear, & adjust it a half turn till the holes match,reinstall bolt, & test slide -- Make sure the nuts are tight on the all the bolts, & motor mounts -- They work loose, & the slide will not work right, cause the bolts to break , & motor/gear housing damage -- If the holes in the square tube has elongated, you can take the tube out, cut it off, & redrill it -- Bill Willard
Old 06-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I reinforced the square tubes by cutting pieces of the tubes & slipping the larger piece over the smaller, & vice versa, then redrilling them -- The tubes are not that hard to remove - The first picture is the front, & 2nd the rear -- Bill Willard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide-out gear 001.jpg
Views:	3727
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	10998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide-out gear 002.jpg
Views:	2087
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	10999  

Old 06-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #8

Grand Design Owners Club
thanks guys I'm going to have some time this week to take a look at this. I also notice what looks like an adjustable link near the motor on the shaft going to the front end of the slide. One side is slotted and and held together with two bolts. This looks like another way to adjust the front shaft and gear.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
If your slide rack and gear is made by Lippert, they have adjusting instructions on their website.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:42 AM   #10

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
If your slide rack and gear is made by Lippert, they have adjusting instructions on their website.
thanks Bill, I looked at their instructions and I was correct. That is an adjustment plate with the bolts and slotted plate. This should make adjustment fairly easy.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for this useful information. I have an 04 PST, with right slide not fully seated across entire bottom when closed. It is tight across the top. I've been wondering how to adjust it. When I purchased the MH, the slide was higher at one end than the other when open. I successfully adjusted four rollers (one just aft of the sink (adjustable from under the cabinet, another further outbound, adjustable from basement bin below it), one under the cabinets about three feet forward of the first (adjustable from the inside; I had to remove the floor panel of that cabinet), and one under the J-lounge (adjustable from underneath, behind the RF wheel). That leveled it pretty well, but did not change the closed position. I don't know if further adjustments would help pull the bottom in, and I'm reluctant to adjust further without more information.
late starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:52 AM   #12
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Late Starter sounds like you have the same rollers as on my slide. The two inside the cabinets will adjust the height when closed, but first look outside for a limit bolt that stops the slide from coming in at the bottom. Should be one front and back that can be adjusted and may be on the track itself. If you have those adjust them first. If that does not do the job, then adjust the rollers down to raise the slide bottom up when closed.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a set of instructions on the power gear site..

Sometimes it is easier if you adjust the gears instead of the slotted plate (Depends on how much adjusting you need)

If you inspect the gears you will see a spring pin on each side,

Run the slide out and then run it back in till the top JUST starts to come in. Say about an inch. Then run it back out just till it starts to move.

The idea is to have it out as far as possible BEFORE it starts to sink down and to have tension on the gears in the direction you do NOT wish to move the slide.

Go out and pull the pin on the "Too far out" side.

now tap the gear sideways (Tap the end of the shaft) till it comes free. Let it turn a tooth or two "IN" and tap it back into place... Replace the pin and see if it comes in properly now. You may need to do this more than one time.

Each time the slide should come in a bit more on that end. May take a few tries.

While down there inspect all bolts at the ends of the SQUARE SHAFTs (2 shafts, 4 bolts) you may need to replace one or more.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:57 AM   #14

Grand Design Owners Club
Thanks for all the advice. I have mine adjusted and working well now and sealing tight in or out. I hope the advice here can help others who may have the same problems.