Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2009, 09:01 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Slide out appears to be fixed..At Last!

The DW and I picked up our coach today after two weeks at the shop. The main slideout which is cable driven, had a frayed outside top corner cable and the housing for the motor, chains, and cable blocks was somewhat mangled and scarred from being taken apart so many times. Rick of Rick Johnson's RV Service replaced the cable adjusted the slide cable blocks and repaired the bottom of the gingerbread box that housed all the workings. The biggest thing he did was to manufactuer a plastic wedge, about six inches square and two thick, that is now attached to the bottom outside right back corner of the slideout. It can be seen when your back is to the coach looking up at the bottom of the slide when it is out. This block lifts the outside back right corner as the slide comes back in keeping it from hanging and scraping the top of the basement door, (there was some paint damage which Rick repaired) which in turn strained the cable causing it to eventually fray. It also keeps the slide when in, from shifting up and down when going down the road also putting strain on the cables. What else can I say, except he did a great job. I am now sure we can make a long trip and be able to use the slide many times instead of just two without a failure.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2009, 09:01 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Slide out appears to be fixed..At Last!

The DW and I picked up our coach today after two weeks at the shop. The main slideout which is cable driven, had a frayed outside top corner cable and the housing for the motor, chains, and cable blocks was somewhat mangled and scarred from being taken apart so many times. Rick of Rick Johnson's RV Service replaced the cable adjusted the slide cable blocks and repaired the bottom of the gingerbread box that housed all the workings. The biggest thing he did was to manufactuer a plastic wedge, about six inches square and two thick, that is now attached to the bottom outside right back corner of the slideout. It can be seen when your back is to the coach looking up at the bottom of the slide when it is out. This block lifts the outside back right corner as the slide comes back in keeping it from hanging and scraping the top of the basement door, (there was some paint damage which Rick repaired) which in turn strained the cable causing it to eventually fray. It also keeps the slide when in, from shifting up and down when going down the road also putting strain on the cables. What else can I say, except he did a great job. I am now sure we can make a long trip and be able to use the slide many times instead of just two without a failure.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:07 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congratulations Gramps. I am still waiting for the second set of parts from Monaco although I have found that StagParkway in Dallas sells the cables to dealers. I have ordered two cable assemblies as spares at a cost of $28 + freight. Will keep in unit. Also have found that my assemble will shift at least 1/2" to the outside when extending the slide and therefore will scrape the metal framing assembly. Am going to have dealer center when they get the new parts from Monaco.

Again congrats and many happy miles

Regards

UFO Chassis
Lash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:05 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is nothing stiff to align the slide while moving in or out. The only thing it has is the tension of the eight cables. The bottom cables that pull (extend) the slideout have to be tight to flush up the floor, too loose and the bottom of the slide will not flush up against the wall going out. If you get that part right and the slide is really tight against the wall, then the slide becomes harder to retract. The top pulls ahead of the bottom (because it has to come up as well as in) Because of this hard to adjust give and take system, Rick has come to the conclusion that to try to prevent frayed cables, it is is best to not try to make the wood trim covered sides of the slide frame snug up against the wall all the way down to the floor when extended. The slideout floor goes flush enough but the slide is not perfectly parallel with and completly tight against the coach wall. Just have to live with it I think.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lash:
Congratulations Gramps. I am still waiting for the second set of parts from Monaco although I have found that StagParkway in Dallas sells the cables to dealers. I have ordered two cable assemblies as spares at a cost of $28 + freight. Will keep in unit. Also have found that my assemble will shift at least 1/2" to the outside when extending the slide and therefore will scrape the metal framing assembly. Am going to have dealer center when they get the new parts from Monaco.

Again congrats and many happy miles

Regards </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you purchase directly from Stagparkway or did you go through a dealer?

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:19 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mark:

Had to purchase from a dealer as StagParkway is distributor only. I went thru my local Monaco authorized worksite which is Action RV in Conroe,Texas. Delivery was within two days of order.

Regards

UFO Chassis
Lash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lash:
Mark:

Had to purchase from a dealer as StagParkway is distributor only. I went thru my local Monaco authorized worksite which is Action RV in Conroe,Texas. Delivery was within two days of order.

Regards </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Lash

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote