RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2017, 01:18 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Slide Out Draft / Draught

Hi folks - last question (I promise!)

You've been so helpful with everything it's been amazing. OK, I got a large propane tank now connected in-line and I have heat - which is really, really nice.

I've now been tracking down and taking care of how heat escapes, picking off the obvious things as I come across them. I fixed the heater plenum under the fridge as it was leaking a lot of heat. I put some cardboard behind the shower vent (at the bottom of the shower) as I believe it's less of a vent and more of an access point in case you need to get to the plumbing. So there's two big ones right off the bat. The single largest remaining leak is the kitchen slide-out. It really leaks a lot of cold air. I'm trying to get more efficient with my propane and this seems to be the 'big daddy'.

My dad says just stick a blanket under the couch. I would agree but I'm wondering if there is a better way. This is on a 2000 Diplomat. Is there a better way to seal up the slide-out for the kitchen? I seem to have little to no issues with the bedroom slide out. As always, your experience is invaluable!

Bob Jones - 2000 Monaco Diplomat
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2017, 01:27 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Bob,

I don't have an answer to your question, but would encourage you to KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS! That's how we all learn more about these rigs. I have learned so much from the talented guys on this forum through questions like yours, so keep the questions coming!

Jim

zo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:56 PM   #3

Many years ago, I helped my next-door neighbor work on his thesis in architectural-design. He wanted to identify (and hopefully mitigate) most of the heat-leaks in the average tract-built home. Fortunately, he used my new-built house as the 'test sample', so I got the benefit of anything he came up with.

Anyways, he/we found that stopping an air-leak made at least as much of a difference as adding actual insulation thickness. I don't remember the details, but seems moving air can transfer a lot more BTU's than simple conduction.

Probably why Eskimos can stay warm in an igloo made of ice/snow - as long as it's sealed up.

Hope this helps.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:19 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Try taking out the bottom drawers in the kitchen and see if you can look under the slide while it is in the out position. I did this and saw daylight !!! So when I need to keep the coach warm I close the kitchen slide.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:46 PM   #5

Slide out side walls and top should seal via 'gaskets/seals'-----replace any bad seals and/or make adjustments to slide out so it seals tightly

Floor flush slides (slides that drop down into floor when extended ----ride up and over floor when retracted)
They have a 'gasket/seal' across bottom but it only seals when retracted.
When extended the front edge of slide should drop down into opening and have a sealing affect (any foam gasket would rip/tear --wear out quickly, A thin rubber one MIGHT hold up longer but could not be very thick or would affect how slide fit --could be a lip at front edge)
Mine doesn't have any type of seal on front edges....slide drops down in opening and fits tight. Side wall/Top closes tight against seals.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:16 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Vent at bottom of shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Hi folks - last question (I promise!)

. . . I put some cardboard behind the shower vent (at the bottom of the shower) as I believe it's less of a vent and more of an access point in case you need to get to the plumbing. ......
The vent at the bottom of the shower in our coach is used as the return air vent for the basement. I don't know whether this is the case in your Diplomat but if I have understood correctly, this is a fairly common practice in RVs with basement heat. By closing off this vent you could be compromising the efficiency of your basement heating.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:16 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarwiebe View Post
The vent at the bottom of the shower in our coach is used as the return air vent for the basement. I don't know whether this is the case in your Diplomat but if I have understood correctly, this is a fairly common practice in RVs with basement heat. By closing off this vent you could be compromising the efficiency of your basement heating.
That's a good point. I closed it off because nothing but cold air came out of it. However, I just un-covered it just in case. Any idea on how I could tell if I have basement heat? I'm pretty sure my Dad had mentioned that it didn't have it but I'm not certain...

Old 12-12-2017, 04:21 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Old-Biscuit , yes when the slide is open on the kitchen side there is a rubber type seal that sticks up and is supposed to contact the bottom of the slide but it is mostly worn away. I should probably put it on my list to do, but most things like that for a beaver are hard to find.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:43 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
That's a good point. I closed it off because nothing but cold air came out of it. However, I just un-covered it just in case. Any idea on how I could tell if I have basement heat? I'm pretty sure my Dad had mentioned that it didn't have it but I'm not certain...

That hole is an entry point for any pests (four, six, or eight-legged) that figure out how to get into the storage bays. Iím strongly in favor of covering it with a tight-fitting metal screen.
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:59 PM   #10

I have seen some coaches with furnace units that have basement heat via your under floor ducting, you might take a look in the storage bay directly under your furnace, the ones I saw had manual slide type doors to open in cold weather conditions.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:45 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
That hole is an entry point for any pests (four, six, or eight-legged) that figure out how to get into the storage bays. Iím strongly in favor of covering it with a tight-fitting metal screen.
I'd be lying if I said that I didn't see some tiny little turds in there so at some point something was in there (with 4 legs). I have since re-covered it with a piece of cardboard under the factory louvered cover as a lot of cold air comes in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
I have seen some coaches with furnace units that have basement heat via your under floor ducting, you might take a look in the storage bay directly under your furnace, the ones I saw had manual slide type doors to open in cold weather conditions.
I'm quite certain this unit does not have heated bays I'm pretty sure Dad said they weren't and I've been all through them now and see no signs of heat or ducts or anything of that nature.

At this point the primary source of cold air/heat loss appears to be the kitchen slide out. The carpet in front of that slide is always cold and there is often a draft coming up from behind the couch. The couch appears to sit on a ledge and under that ledge is a large gap where cold air seems to come from. I'm going to need to focus more on that slide now that all the little spots seem to be done.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:45 PM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
I'd be lying if I said that I didn't see some tiny little turds in there so at some point something was in there (with 4 legs). I have since re-covered it with a piece of cardboard under the factory louvered cover as a lot of cold air comes in there.
I should have been more clear. If you remove the louvered piece from the shower base and look beneath the shower, I'll bet you see a hole in the floor that runs down into the storage bay below. Mine is directly below the shower p-trap, and the p-trap cannot be removed/replaced without the clearance provided by that hole, which is probably about the size of one of the floor tiles. That is the one that I would screen over. While you have the louver removed, look around with a flashlight to see if you can inspect the holes where the drain pipes go down through the floor. Those are another entry point for pests. I stuffed the gaps with steel wool and then covered it with spray foam.
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:52 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
i saw someone who pushed in pool noddles around the out side of slide out
to seal it
Old 12-15-2017, 12:04 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Bob, I just replaced my bottom seal in the kitchen slide out. If it is the same as mine, I could help you. Extend the slide and look the seal meets the slide floor. I was getting the same draft as you this spring and found where the seal was curled inward and had a set to it where it wouldnít touch the bottom of the slide. I was able to flip it outward with an awl with a right angle end by just hooking it behind the seal and rolling it outward as I ran the length of the seal.

That seal was too long from since new to be able to flip when extending the slide. And after 10 years it wasnít soft enough to spring up against the slide.

Take a look at you seal to see if it is the same.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out