RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2015, 09:01 AM   #1

Slide Out Lubricant????

Ok, I have done research on this topic where I have found a bunch of different "opinions" about what lubricant to put on your Slide out's.

The problem is that the information is general. I"m looking for the following:

1). Best type of lubricant for the Slide Out Gasket (Silicone, Lithium, Waxed Based, etc..)
2). Best type of lubricant for the Slide Out Mechanism, Gears, Rollers (Lithium, Grease, etc...)

I would imagine on the gasket you would want something with silicone or wax based in it to ensure the gasket keeps it elasticity/rubber consistency. And for the mechanism I would think you would want to put a Lithium based (dry) coating every once in a while to keep the gears lubricated but not caked in gunk that could attract dirt/dust/bugs.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ryan K, Texas.

knotthead79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2015, 01:05 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ryan-
We use commercial slide out lubricant on our slides; it is available at WalMart and RV Dealers. Spray it on. For the seals we use the trick that we learned from the "RV Geeks" which works well. Take a look at their video at:
Keeping the mechanism clean and lubricated is what I focus on; the seals I do once or twice each year. Hope this information helps.
Frank

Old 10-03-2015, 01:23 PM   #3

As far as the mechanism, try this stuff.

Boeshield T-9 | Corrosion Protection and Waterproof Lubrication

Kinda like the Frank's Red Hot Sauce. I use that S$1$ on everything.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:42 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
The baby powder idea I've heard about before. It is OK to use and would not hesitate to use it for the rubber gasket. There are some products that also penetrate into the gasket and also do wonders for the ability to slide and that is the Aerospace product called 303. Here's why i like it.

We have had a real issue with one window in the main area. We just could not move the window. I could open it but the DW could not. We did all the usual with WBGO. First the replaced the gasket. That didn't help. Next they suggested a silicone base llubricant and that's didn't work. So they referred us to Lippert and they said that the window is out of warranty. I REALLY complained when they told me that. They did decide to send out a new window which we got yesterday.

In the mean time somebody here on these forums suggested using the 303 stuff. I had a gallon of it but just never though about using it on the window gasket. I did take the gasket out and cut two inches off. It still was very hard to move. I had tired baby & talcum powder, bees wax, Vaseline, silicone spray (3 different kinds) and nothing worked for more than 10-15 minutes. Then I tried the 303 and it worked. It's been good for the last month. I was impressed.

So that's what I use on my slide gaskets. It will not harm the rubber and on the window it worked better than anything else that I tried.

Now the slide mechanism. With the Schwinteck slide which WBGO uses they recommend CRC Industrial Lub with PTFE. I got two spray cans delivered for $20. WBGO says that the amount of current needed to move the slide in and out was reduced by 30% following the lube. Only the gibs and the plastic rollers are lubed. There is a very good video on line which describes exactly how to do it.

TeJay
Old 10-03-2015, 03:20 PM   #5

I agree with using 303 on the slide seals. I've tried a few different silicon types but nothing does the job like 303.
If it's rubber or plastic, 303 it. If it's metal, T9 it.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:32 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
dennis45,
I've never heard of T9. 'll have to look into it. I'm always up for a better product and I know they are like flies they always coming out. Just need to see if they actually work or if they are just another can of snake oil and a lot of advertising.

I've been wondering if snakes do produce any oils??? Maybe there is a real use for it??

TeJay
Old 10-03-2015, 03:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
dennis45,
I've never heard of T9. 'll have to look into it. I'm always up for a better product and I know they are like flies they always coming out. Just need to see if they actually work or if they are just another can of snake oil and a lot of advertising.

I've been wondering if snakes do produce any oils??? Maybe there is a real use for it??

TeJay
I have been using it for about a year on all things metal but where I really see a difference is the basement door latches and locks. These have always been a PITA to keep working smoothly but, giving them a shot of this stuff every 4-5 months seems to do the trick.
I have a whole collection of spray lubes and this is a hit, IMHO,,,,
Old 10-03-2015, 10:28 PM   #8

Thank you all for the recommendations. I did learn however I'm not in tune with all the acronyms, any thanks again.

Ryan K, Texas
Old 10-06-2015, 09:51 PM   #9

Fluid Film

Love Fluid Film

Ziggy319 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out