RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2019, 09:16 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Slide out Seal Replacement

Hi guys!

I have a 2000 Diplomat w/twp slide outs (bedroom and kitchen). Can the slide-out seals be replaced without removing the slides? How hard of a job is it?

Bob Jones - 2000 Monaco Diplomat
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2019, 09:49 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
The hard part is getting the new seals in place using the butt of a screwdriver and the sore hands and fingers afterwards.

WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:35 PM   #3

I replaced seal on my full wall slide took a few hours. Cutting the corners properly took the most time. You want the top seal to be wider and cover the side seals, study your old seal corners before removing.

Get some thetford seal conditioner spray it helps a lot getting the new seal back on. I went back with the seal with totally encapsulated metal inside cant remember the vendor tho.
Jon_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:38 PM   #4

Is the seal you are talking about the closed seal or opened seal? Or are they one in the same?
Old 01-01-2019, 11:46 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit12 View Post
Is the seal you are talking about the closed seal or opened seal? Or are they one in the same?
It looks like there are two of them, a hollow rubber seal when the slide is closed up around the inner facia and an external wiper-type seal on the outside. The outside one is the one I am thinking of.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
It looks like there are two of them, a hollow rubber seal when the slide is closed up around the inner facia and an external wiper-type seal on the outside. The outside one is the one I am thinking of.
I have a small leak while driving. There is a thin rubber strip that is folded over near the top toward the front of the slide. I am thinking that this is the leak?
Old 01-02-2019, 06:37 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here is a good source for replacement seals and their install video.

https://rv.steelerubber.com/

Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:22 PM   #8

I have only 1 seal its shaped like a T with 2 bulb seals and 1 wiper in center. The wiper needs to point out when slide is open and reverse to point in when slide retracted. I get on roof and make sure the top seal is pointing in the full length otherwise the slide will not retract fully on top. I know there are ways to help the seal reverse automatic but im good with what im doing for now. I believe my nee seal is steelerubber now seeing the video.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:33 PM   #9

The reason for the 2 bulb seals is one bulb seals When the slide is retracted and the other bulb seals when slide extended. This makes a complete water tight seal when fully in or out. If its leaking water when retracted id say the bulb is not seating fully possibly due to wipers not pointing towards coach or slide mis alignment. Its amazing the wiper can keep the slide from fully retracting. So make sure all wipers are pointing towards coach as first check.

This may not apply to all slides as there are several ways to design the seals but is how my coach is.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:55 PM   #10

To make the wiper seal flip like it is suppose to buy some of the coarse looking
tread tape , like for stairs or boats etc .
Put this up and down on the sides and across the top , approx. mid way in

It will work

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:20 AM   #11

Thanks Ray i know and have some of the tape for it already. Just need to put it on. Ive heard it will wear the seal over time is my only concern.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:51 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Well, I just woke up to quite a bit of water all along the couch on the front slide :(

Kind of hoping for a confirmation on my original post, can the seals be replaced without removing the slide? Ie, can I do it in situ at my location or am I going to have to bring it in to a shop?

I'd prefer to do it myself for obvious reasons.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:58 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, it can be replaced. I replaced my flush floor slide seal, put slide out about 18 inches so I could work from both sides. I had to lock the slide spring and remove it from the slide, leaving it attached to the coach wall and placed it on the roof. I made a short bar with curve on end to help push the seal on the coach. Takes time, but my time is free!
Good luck,
John G
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:36 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJScepter View Post
Yes, it can be replaced. I replaced my flush floor slide seal, put slide out about 18 inches so I could work from both sides. I had to lock the slide spring and remove it from the slide, leaving it attached to the coach wall and placed it on the roof. I made a short bar with curve on end to help push the seal on the coach. Takes time, but my time is free!
Good luck,
John G
Thank you!

With respect to my slides, is there only one seal (the outter one) or is there also a wiper seal on the top? What I'm trying to do is line up all the seals I will need ahead of time. From the sounds of it, I need ZML-6705 and possibly some other seals?

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, seal, slide, slide out