Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Slide questions

We have a 2007 Monaco Cayman XL. When we were bringing in the large curbside slide it jammed which led to a sheared bolt. We were able to free the slide and used a 1" wrench to fully extend both ends of the slide to their stops. Before replacing the bolt I found the square tubing was wallowed out so we cut off the end and drilled it for a new #8 bolt. The new bolt was installed so the shank was inside the shaft with no threads in the shaft.
Now here are the questions: Question 1: After completing the repair I found that with the slide fully extended flush to the front and rear stops, the front of the slide was extended approximately 1 1/2" farther out from the side of the coach than the rear. We then adjusted the rear of the slide outwards by adjusting the rear stop on the slide. This brought them even.
Someone has now told me this may have been a mistake because the factory may have had it this way on purpose. Does it sound like I should have not adjusted the rear stop? The slide has always pulled in against the side equally on both ends. But I cannot attest as to whether it has always extended equally or not. This could have been a preexisting condition.
Is it possible the square tubing had enough play (wallowing) to allow the turn needed to bring in the front of the slide after the rear slide had bottomed out against the stop?
I have no idea if the previous owner adjusted these stops
Question 2: The manual says one of the causes of failure of slides can be drag on the slides and you need to eliminate drag by lubricating the slides. What products (name them for each please) do you use on the rails, the gears, the rubber seals, and the bottom of the slide where the rollers slide?
Thanks. Learning a lot from the forums. Just like going back to school each evening.
johnsong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #2

Not a Monaco owner, but I use Spray Liquid Silicone on our slide components (all of them). Have had no problems ever. The reason for Silicone instead of grease, oil, or WD40 is Silicone doesn't hold dirt and debri as easily.

As to adjusting your, slide, if it were me, I would run the slide in and see if A: it binds, B: it comes all the way in and seals completely. If everytnig works OK, I would leave your changes, if not, I would try to place the slide stop back where it came from, and try the slide again. That said, I have seen many sldies that looked "cocked" when extended (our current bedroom slide included), but seal perfectly when brought in. Good luck.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
johnsong3 -- I think you`re ok on question #1 -- It`s not hard to get the slide back in time, just have to know where adjustment is -- The only thing you need to use any lube on, is to use a silicone spray on the rubber wipe seals -- Don`t put any type lube on the gears,rails, & rollers -- The rollers are meant to roll, & if you oil them or the rail, they will tend to slide instead of roll -- When they slide, they could develop a flat place on them, & then they would need to be replaced --
If you have jacks, & not air leveling, it`s important that you extend & retract the slides before leveling -- I know alot of you will say that`s BS, but with the 3 point jack system that Monaco uses, it`s very easy to twist the coach body out of square, thus the slide opening is also not square -- Air leveling not so much -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote