Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Question Slide RETRACTION during severe weather

Didn't have this question with my other MH's because it was always slides in first. However, now having a Monaco product let's say it's the middle of the night and weather conditions such as high winds or heavy rain require you to retract the slides. Do you go thru the correct procedure of starting the engine to air up and bring in the levels first or do you just bring in the slides?
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2009, 04:57 PM   #2

Tell you what, had a major storm hit us with no warning, golf ball size hail and heavy wind and rain. All I could think of at the time was to pull the slides in and hope for the best. There was no time from me to even think about airing up and all. Think if I had taken to time to do so the results would have been more damage than I had. Saved my slide toppers or what ever you call the awning above the slides for sure and who knows what else. My guess is the motorhome would have been a little more stable without the three point jacks down but maybe not. Would rather not be caught off guard like that again. $17,000 in hail damage.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Under the circumstances, I would think you would OK to do it in an emergency. I would then, go through the normal retraction and extension procedure when all is clear.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We do pull in out slides when it get very windy. Mainly because the flapping of the top sail will keep us awake all night if we don't.

Every time we have done this we have pulled in the slides "as is". No starting up - no inflating - nothing.

Right or wrong, it seems to work OK.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:50 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Danes Are Coming View Post
We do pull in out slides when it get very windy. Mainly because the flapping of the top sail will keep us awake all night if we don't.

Every time we have done this we have pulled in the slides "as is". No starting up - no inflating - nothing.

Right or wrong, it seems to work OK.
I agree. I may be all wrong, but it seems with a three point system (if that's what you have) there should be very little racking when level on the jacks. So retracting the slides shouldn't be a concern. I have always retracted my slides first before dropping jacks and airing up (3rd Monaco) and have never had a problem. I do however follow procedure to extend the slides.

Once level, I have retracted, then extended my slides several times during storms and never touched the jacks or air, .. just the slides. They work smooth as silk.

2008 HR Endeavor (DIP) PDQ
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:56 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just happened yesterday, to talk to the main tech who works for BAL. They make the cable slideouts on my coach. It is their opinion that Monaco's procedure when using thier slides with my chassis is all backwards. I was told to level first, then put out the slides and do the opposite when closing them.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:35 PM   #7
JDT

I at least raise my jacks before bringing in the slides as I figure it would be the torque on the chassis from the jacks that might cause a problem. Just takes a turn of the key. Usually I follow the Monaco procedure but I admit I have done it this way more than once in the past 4 years when it was inconvenient to air up.

Jim
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:25 PM   #8
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I'll stick with the manufacturer's recommendations regarding the slides. They built the coach and have designed the slides to work a certain way so I figure they are the experts.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote