Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2018, 11:27 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Slide Topper (Awning) material - Stone Vos or ToughTopAwnings?

I will be needing to replace the Slide Topper or Awning on my coach in the near future. I have the Carefree Omega toppers on my coach.

I saw Youtube Video from RV Geeks recently where they recommend the material from ToughTop Awning Carefree Omega Awnings

I also know that Stone Vos company is highly recommended. RV Awnings & Slide Toppers From Stone Vos

I have not contact either company yet - I thought I would ask here first, who has experience with either company and what product do you recomend.
__________________________________________________ ___________
Tough Top Awning has a 15 oz and 18 oz fabric. This is their product literature:
Our 15oz Heavy Duty Fabric is a Pre-Stretched material designed specifically for Slide Toppers, Window Shades and Over the Door Awnings. It's design is for heavy rains and high winds.

Our 18oz Coated Vinyl is a special type of industrial grade vinyl designed to be a little thick but with its coated properties it has give to the fabric. We primarily use this on the main pull-down awnings and deep Carefree Omega Awnings. Any awning that has a depth of over 55” the fabric will need to give with the wind in order to not damage hardware.
__________________________________________________ ___________and

Stone Vos has "Migliore" a 19 oz PVC material with 6 year warranty.

Migliore is a poured poly vinyl ( PVC ) that weighs 19 ozs. It is the heaviest vinyl topper fabric in North America. Its qualities are numerous, including an incredible grab tensile strength of 750 lbs x 655 lbs, a cold crack rating of minus – 30 degrees and it is also specially treated to prevent Mildew and protect against UV Rays. Because it is a poured vinyl it will never delaminate. It is an all around perfect vinyl for cold weather and snow as well as warm weather and high winds.

Thanks
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2018, 11:46 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Thumbs up Stone VOS

Having ours done at Stone VOS on October 3 along with one slide getting a set of guardian plates. Getting the Migilore Vinyl toppers on all four slides.
mbedtelyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:50 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Did you price around - or just go with Stone VOS based on their reputation or product specs (or perhaps because you wanted to have the "guardian plates" installed at the same time)?
Old 08-30-2018, 01:59 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
StoneVos by reputation, experience, and just the nicest people in the world. Chris and Ingrid truly help us all
Old 08-30-2018, 02:19 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Haven't tried the other, but can't imagine how they could be better than StoneVos or their their customer service
Old 08-30-2018, 02:34 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have bought parts from Stone Vos (Ingrid) before, and they are great.

And the guys at RV Geek (via their YouTube video) say ToughTopAwnings are great to deal with too.

However my goal is not to be needing Customer Service.

So my goal is to get the best product (material) and not need CS.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:37 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I highly recommend the high-quality acrylic fabric from Stone Vos.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:45 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Stone Vos -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:57 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just sent four slide toppers back to Stone Vos at my cost. No idea why they made them wrong even though I sent them every measurement they asked for, even the old fabric measurement even though the printed instructions said they didn't want them. But then they asked for them anyway.
They varied from 1/2" to 2" too long.
Since it was their mistake I feel I shouldn't have had to pay the $85 return shipping. They also misaddressed the shipment but it only delayed the shipment two days. They also tried to ship me a box but thought I was in Canada and I'm in Vancouver WA.
I also purchased from Tough Tops for my last rig. They fit just fine, but the last time I checked their website they wouldn't provide fabric for Girard awnings.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:03 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I just sent four slide toppers back to Stone Vos at my cost. No idea why they made them wrong even though I sent them every measurement they asked for, even the old fabric even though the printed instructions said they didn't want them. But then they asked for them anyway.
They varied from 1/2" to 2" too long.
Since it was their mistake I feel I shouldn't have had to pay the $85 return shipping.
I also purchased from Tough Tops for my last rig. They fit just fine, but the last time I checked their website they wouldn't provide fabric for Girard awnings.

Curious why an extra 1/2 to 2” would matter. Don’t they have spring tension to control how far out they roll?
Old 08-30-2018, 04:17 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I used Tough Top on my last coach and Stone Vos Acrylic on this one. Both are good, Stone Vos had a better selection of colors
Old 08-30-2018, 04:26 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnRide View Post
Curious why an extra 1/2 to 2” would matter. Don’t they have spring tension to control how far out they roll?
Thinking he meant to long width wise.........
Old 08-30-2018, 05:14 PM   #13

Chris and Ingrid are the best. Do not think anyone else will beat their warranty on thred and workmanship
Old 08-30-2018, 06:23 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced 2 slide toppers on Carefree Omega from Tough Top 6 years ago. Very good to work with, easy to install and very reasonable cost wise. They are the vinyl ones as I live in the Pacific NW so vinyl better in rainy areas. I went with white, scrubbed with simple green and oxyclean this year and look like new. I would use again.
DiplomatDon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, slide