Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2008, 03:09 AM   #1

Arrrgh!!!!

Robin M., Why didn't you tell me this again!

Robin M. 29JAN08 posted
The only time we've really had trouble with it, we had only ourselves to blame. I opened it one day while there was freezing rain outside, and the top slide awning got covered with frozen slush. It only took that one time for me to learn NEVER to do that again.

Hi all,

I'm trying to leave out Saturday morning, from Michigan. My front driver's side slide has filled with water and frozen solid. I did have the balls (beach that is) in place also. For the last day I've had an electric heater shoved under the awning, 3 lb hammer breaking 6 inch thick ice blocks off and throwing them overboard while standing tiptoe on a 6 ft step ladder. Cath is sure that this is going to come to no good but i assured her that I'm a "professional".

I wonder if covering them with a tarp and dumping frequently would have kept this from happening ?

Like Robin, I will NEVER EVER NEVER let this happen again, It sucks to BE ME!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL !!! Hope to make Quartzite.

Lenny and Cath (trying to head south for the winter)

2013 Keystone Laredo 291TG TT 2011 F150 puller
Lennyzx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2008, 02:20 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Lenny, Get the heck out of there. I'm saving a space for you in Quartzsite.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:59 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Lennyzx11:
Arrrgh!!!!

Robin M., Why didn't you tell me this again!
...I'm trying to leave out Saturday morning, from Michigan. My front driver's side slide has filled with water and frozen solid. I did have the balls (beach that is) in place also. For the last day I've had an electric heater shoved under the awning, 3 lb hammer breaking 6 inch thick ice blocks off and throwing them overboard while standing tiptoe on a 6 ft step ladder. Cath is sure that this is going to come to no good but i assured her that I'm a "professional". ...
Like Robin, I will NEVER EVER NEVER let this happen again, It sucks to BE ME!
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL !!! Hope to make Quartzite.

Lenny and Cath (trying to head south for the winter)
All I can say is <span class="ev_code_BLUE">BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR </span>!!!! I have faith in your abilities though - so we WILL see you in Quartzsite!!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:33 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We were at Q on mon nite the 15th at the Holiday Palms.
We then went to a friends place in Golden Valley up near Kingman. We came into So Cal today after the blizzard. We came thru 29 Palms Yucca Valley and Morongo Valley. There was 2ft of snow there!! The roads were clear but seeing Joshua trees broken down by snow is a new experience!
Old 12-20-2008, 03:52 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Lenny,

I'm surprised you found that old post of mine. But you are right. Once you let that slide out in freezing temps with water, snow, or slush on it, you've got a real mess to contend with. If you do it once, you will indeed never do it again.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to all.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:36 AM   #6

We were to the Rockies on a ski trip two winters ago and after putting all the slides out, we had a foot of snow. I thought, no problem it's happened before and I'll wait until we change locations in a couple of days and get the snow off before we leave. Even though the temps didn't get above freezing during the day, the sun came out and melted some of the snow. Each night the melted snow froze and the next day more would melt. The morning we had to leave, I got on a ladder and began sweeping the snow off in -22 degree temps. We had about 3 inches of ice embedded in the fabric. I spent about three hours on the ladder going down the awing roller cracking and beating the ice off as my wife brought the slide in a few inches at a time.

The awing fabric stretched, but rolled up in a loose roll. When we hit the interstate, one roadside awning unfurled on an interstate with barely enough room to get on the berm. I then flagged traffic away as my wife put the slide out and back and the awing rolled back up, but still a little loose. I assumed I would have to have it replaced, but it stayed in tact until we were in Florida a couple months later in warmer weather and the fabric shrank back.

From that time on, we sweep the snow off as it accumulates, or put the slides in when we're gone and snow is forcasted.
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote