Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2008, 07:53 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Speaking of cracks, has anyone seen cracks under any slideouts? The photo below was taken of our road side bedroom slideout while sitting on the ground looking up at the bottom of the slideout. The second photo is just one of the three steal plates installed on the bottom of this slideout under warranty repair. All other slideouts were okay.

CC
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2008, 07:53 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Speaking of cracks, has anyone seen cracks under any slideouts? The photo below was taken of our road side bedroom slideout while sitting on the ground looking up at the bottom of the slideout. The second photo is just one of the three steal plates installed on the bottom of this slideout under warranty repair. All other slideouts were okay.

CC
Old 03-31-2008, 12:11 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I think I would have some SERIOUS issues with this problem if it was me....
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:39 PM   #4

What caused the problem? It looks like the plate will stop this cracking , but what part of the MH did the damage? Is this type slide used in all Monaco products?
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:18 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oh-one:
What caused the problem? It looks like the plate will stop this cracking , but what part of the MH did the damage? Is this type slide used in all Monaco products? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Just a guess, but it sure does look like the break through is caused by too much pressure on the floor mounted roller that the slide out passes over. It appears if the slide out is in, the jarring of road travel has fractured the floor where the slide out rests on the roller.

2008 HR Endeavor (DIP) PDQ
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:21 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It looks like the plate will stop this cracking </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I totally agree, in fact it would be better if they would use all metal in the bottom instead of 3/16" plywood. My problem with the fix shown is that there is now another place for water penetration whenever those six caulked seams dry up, shrink, or crack. When the next one goes on, there will be 8 seams in a piece that should be solid.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:25 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Corkey is correct in every respect. Even though there was only one crack caused by the most forward roller, two other steal plates were installed for the aft rollers to make level. The steal plates appear to be well sealed/glued and riveted.

CC
Old 04-01-2008, 06:30 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
CC,

I hope your warranty is still in effect. I would not be too concerned about potential leaks around the plate. If your installation is similar to mine the entire surface of the steel plate was covered with high strength adhesive double sided thick tape. This should provide a complete seal over the cracked area. This appears to be a standard repair for Monaco. I had it done on my kitchen slide a couple of years ago. It is the least expensive repair for Monaco as their other choice was to remove the slide room and rebuild the entire floor. But I have never seen the plates applied for use as shims.

My slide rollers are all adustable. If yours are beyond the adjustment range then I would question why Monaco didn't replace the slide. When you plate the cracked area; does this now mean that Monaco needs to install additional plates under the other rollers???

Green lights and soft breezes,
Old 04-01-2008, 07:25 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Roland,
Yes, the work was done under warranty by Buddy Gregg Motorhomes in Lewisville, TX. The photo below shows the other two plates further aft, looking up and toward the RV.

CC
Old 04-01-2008, 07:47 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
In your original post you made reference to the plate as "steel". It looks to be made of aluminum, have you put a magnet to it? Aluminum shouldn't have any maintenance issues as long as the adhesive/seal remains intact.

They sure did do a neat job on the plates. It almost makes more since to have the reinforcement as standard, than throwing the slideout load directly on the fiberglass underside.

2008 HR Endeavor (DIP) PDQ
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:23 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Corkey,
I'll be able to put a magnet to it on Thursday and let you know. The service advisor said it was steel plating but as you would expect, he's not the one that did the work. I didn't expect three plates with only one crack.

CC
Old 04-04-2008, 06:03 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Hi all
I found a few minutes to poke my head out', and headed right to the Monaco forum to try and catch up.

As far as the plates, they're most-likely stainless steel, which is what Monaco Wildwood has been using of late. I took mine there because the 4 small (two forward and 2 aft) rollers for the bed-slide had gouged grooves in the thin fiberglas-covered plywood. Their answer was they'd have to remove the entire slideout, flip it over, tear off the old exterior skin, re-apply a new one and then re-install the box again. Sticker-shock was too much for me so I declined. Also made me think about that as a permanent fix if it did it once already what's to keep it from doing it again??

Talked to a friend who was also there and he asked why they didn't use the latest fix', which was the SS plates. So, back I went and talked to my buddy' in service and he got me the plates. After that, it was a simple job for me to lift the slideout up a fraction of an inch to get the plate under the rollers, clean the entire area, cut off about 3" of the plate (it's 36" long and I only needed about 33") and then stick the plate on where the rollers would track back-and-forth. I then re-adjusted the rollers a fraction of an inch to compensate for the new plate. For good measure (and because I had one) I also pop-riveted the plates to the underside (the outside edge of rivets did catch structure inside so there is some bracing in there).

That project got me to looking, and I noticed quite a few other coaches with either the plates or with indentations/grooves/scratches either there already or beginning to form. Oddly enough, almost all of a coach's other slides move on big teflon-type plates, so there's problem about an entire side resting on a few square-inches of surface-area.

How are yours?

HTH,
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Ronboc...
this is the stuff I have missed...
please poke your head out a little more often.. pretty please!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:16 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Corkey:
It looks to be made of aluminum, have you put a magnet to it? Aluminum shouldn't have any maintenance issues as long as the adhesive/seal remains intact. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And Corkey is right AGAIN! The fix on our coach is aluminum, not stainless steel.
CC