RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2009, 09:16 AM   #1

I would like to add a couple lights towards the top of a couple of my slides. These lights would be used for lighting up the area beside the coach for camping, etc. The lights I found are similar (almost exact) to the side dock lights that are found on many coaches.

I was thinking of cutting the whole in the side and wiring these through the cabinets in the slides. The only thing that I have thought maybe an issue is not knowing where the aluminum framing is on the slides. Cutting through the sides and the back of the cabinet should not be a big deal but I would not want to have to cut the aluminum framing.

I have found a couple pictures showing the overall framing of a typical Monaco coach but nothing I have found shows the slides. Does anyone have a picture of slides without the fiberglass skin? I have a 2006 Camelot 38PDQ.

Here are the lights I am going to install. I will rotate them 90 degrees. Docking Lights

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2009, 09:52 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
On a cold night, turn on the furnace and let it run during the night. In the morning, you will see the sweat (dew), between the framing. Mark where the frame members show and put the lights between. Be sure to drill a small hole in the center of the larger hole you are going to make for the light and feel around for any wires etc.

This should work!

Old 02-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You may want to consider these, they are referred to as scare lights. The spots you are considering are pretty annoying to your neighbors in the park, they are more like spot lights the ones that you will see at this link are for overall lighting and most commonly used on the exterior of RV's for "patio/porch" lighting.

http://www.dan-marcrvparts.com/sumoscli.html
Old 02-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry for the three posts, I am getting forgetful. The light in the link is also surface mounted and only requires a small hole for the wire. In RVs, small holes are better than big ones. Come to think of it, that's true with most things in life!
Old 02-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I found that a common "Stud Finder" used to find wooden studs behind sheetrock also works in finding the steel framing behind fiberglass sheeting
Old 02-09-2009, 06:28 AM   #6

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I will give it a try in the next couple of weeks.

The main purpose of the lights is to help work on the vehicles after a day of off roading so the brighter the better.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Mama is going here...
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>mhansen<LI>JDenPA<LI>Jim Stewart[/list]Can I PLEASE give each of you some "Monaco karma"...pretty please!??

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:38 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Karma would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank You MM!

Jim Stewart
Old 02-28-2009, 12:33 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote