Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2017, 10:48 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Thumbs up Slideout Maint/Repair - Guardian Plates Review

Last year I had Chris T. measure our coach for some replacement awnings while at the Ramblin Pushers MS rally in 2016. He also inspected our slides. The bedroom slide was in need of some recaulking, but otherwise in good shape. We did discuss the Guardian Plates being something for the future. I did order and install them late summer 2016. I had Chris measure the living room slide at the 2017 MS rally as weel as the bedroom slide for the plates for the rollers since there was signs of some wear from the rollers. I also wanted to be proactive and prevent problems.
I finished installing everything last week and was an fairly simple job if you have good mechanical skills.
Key things:
This will eliminate any chance of slide floor rot.
They look very good and give things a fresh updated look.
The slides are actually quieter with the Guardian plates when moving in or out!
They also run much smoother and sound as if the motor is having an easier time moving things.
I highly recommend them!
I also found out I have one of the Monaco experimental slides with rollers after the lift blocks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2017, 11:31 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Great write-up! And good to hear your positive experience with them, I'm sold too.

Might be interesting for others to chime in here with their efforts and their results.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:39 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
BennieH: Can you share the install instructions? I need to do my bedroom slide on passenger side and trying to determine if it's something I want to do myself. Didn't see install instructions on their web site.

Thx
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:51 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Think I found the install video on their site.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ok watched video and see where they install rivets along the side of the plate but do you also install rivets on the underside surface of the guardian plate or just the side? Looks like there are holes on the bottom of the plate.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:27 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Ken -

Yes, the rivets go on the underside of the plate too (see about 11:40 into the video).

I was a bit curious as to why Chris specifies rivets and not screws. His response was they've found that over time the screws can work themselves loose with repeated slide movement in and out, whereas the rivet has no way to loosen or back off. Once they're 'mushroomed' they stay put.

Installing the plates isn't that big of a job, just follow the video/directions and take your time.

And let us know how it comes out!!!
Old 07-08-2017, 12:40 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The installation of everything took me about 8 hours total over 2 days. I was in no hurry and just took my time. Chris does have a nice write up on installing the bedroom slides that I helped him put together. I am sure he could be asked for it.
The biggest thing is get a heavy duty rivet tool! Do not try it with the one handed ones! They are stainless rivets (everything he supplies is first rate!) and you need one of the long handle ones (he can sell you that as well).

Bob
Old 07-09-2017, 09:30 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
follow on where is the video

Was reading the string of comments and somebody said they found the video, where is it and how can I see it?
maxwell18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:22 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Main website...
Talin Manufacturing HOme of the Guardian Plates

Website for the 2 videos...
Educational Videos | talinrv.com
(took me a second to realize that you click on the big black boxes themselves to open the videos)

Tags
repair, slide, slideout