Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2011, 07:46 AM   #1

slides-step don't work little help please

I have a 04 Beaver Marquie and lately the step works off and on (replaced the board) still works off and on. I am also having problems getting the front slide switches to activate the slide motors. Is there a possible connection, such as some type relay that keeps these two things from operating, maybe something which would not let them work when engine is running, which is shorting out and not letting power get to the step and slide switches?? I have to keep pressing the slide switches off and on for minutes to get them to work. I'm afraid I will get stuck some place and won't be able to get them in?? Any imput very much appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #2

When that happened with by slide it was the switch that was bad. Had to keep pressing that switch over and over again. A simple replacement switch from a local RV dealer parts counter. As far as the steps I would check the magnetic switch in the door and make sure it is tight.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:32 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BUTCH View Post
I have a 04 Beaver Marquie and lately the step works off and on (replaced the board) still works off and on. I am also having problems getting the front slide switches to activate the slide motors. Is there a possible connection, such as some type relay that keeps these two things from operating, maybe something which would not let them work when engine is running, which is shorting out and not letting power get to the step and slide switches?? I have to keep pressing the slide switches off and on for minutes to get them to work. I'm afraid I will get stuck some place and won't be able to get them in?? Any imput very much appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

I had steps that would work sometimes and not other, it was a bad ground connection for the steps. Cleaned it up and they have been working fine since.
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:39 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I too, would check both the switch & the ground to the step.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Flying:
My steps failed while on-the-road (isn't that the way it ALWAYS happens?). After a thorough troubleshooting (supply voltage, control module, connectors, confirmation of a solid ground and even a dis-assembly of the motor/worm-drive), I finally learned that an easy tap on the motor (using a long-handled screw driver) was enough to "wake up" the DC motor and deploy the steps. Now that I'm back home, replacing this motor is on my "to do" list. In the mean time, the long-handled screw driver can found just inside my door.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Hi flying butch,

Good ideas above, this could be a long shot, our last coach was 03 Cayman 34PDD, picked her up from service one time travelled through the night, at destination neither slide or step would work, 3 O’clock in the morning was not time to start pulling things to bits, so lived with it. As an RV sparks I started to follow wiring etc looking for common ground, in one rear locker next to the main battery locker was a black plastic cover, removed that and found a control board with the relays that prevent the slides moving when engine running and switched the step power from house batteries to chassis battery when engine running. There was a multi-pin connector that connected the wiring harness to the control board, it was lose, pulled it out, and then re-seated it. From then on all worked perfectly. Seems the servicing agent had removed the harness for some reason and not re-connected it correctly.

As I say just a long shot.
UK_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:30 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Don't know what brand you have, but mine is a Quickee. You can remove the clevis and cotter pin to allow the step to be manually moved. I used a C clamp to hold it up, but a bungee cord might be just as effective. When my 4 pin gets wet I have intermittent troubles.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
At this link you will find folders with Kwikee and Power Gear documents. The Kwikee manual is especially good.

Tradewinds Docs - Windows Live

Dick
Old 05-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #9

Slides and step

I think you are onto something with the common ground for the step and the slides when the big engine is running. I looked back in the battery department but didn't see any black plastic box. Does anyone know where the connections are that control the power and the ground that connect to the slides and the step when the big motor is running?? Not very clear here, I am looking for whatever controls the power and the ground connection to the step and the slides (turns power off) when big engine is running. Thanks for all the ideas guys. I don't think it is the magnet on the door as it always stops working when it is in the closed position.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:48 AM   #10

little help

anyone have an idea where this is located?
Old 05-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #11
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Flying Butch hope this helps. On my Diplomat the controls are inside a black box that is in the last passenger side compartment and behind the Inverter. The box cover has screws that must be removed to expose the controls. These are the power source and not the ground so may not be what you are looking for. The picture is with the cover removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1332.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	10159  

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:33 AM   #12

slides

Thanks for the picture and info. I did a little work on it yesterday. I have power thru the switches. I think it is a selnoid on the pump itself. I taped it and pump started working. Thanks again for imput.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #13

Kwikee steps use an elec motor which is the same as the window motor on Ford products! There are 3 round plastic dowels under cover on motor. When they go out of round the step will stick, usually open/extended. Go to the "gadget" rack in your auto parts store. They come in set of 3 for a couple bucks. It's a very easy fix. Their purpose is to cushion the sudden stop of step. They measure about 1/2"X1/2". Looks like a 1/2" piece of a "hot glue stick".You can also pickup a window motor at auto junk yard for a couple $$. They are left and right! Buy one for a spare. A wrecked car usually has less miles on odo and less wear on window motor. Remove cover from motor before you go looking for parts so you know what the plastic parts look like. If you can't get step in, disconnect linkage (one cotter pin) and bungee inward to get home. Magnetic door switch is also suspect. Usually just an adjustment.
RickGyver is offline   Reply With Quote