Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2018, 11:20 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to 67fisher Send a message via MSN to 67fisher Send a message via Yahoo to 67fisher
Slides won't retract

This is on a 2001 HR Endeavor 38PBD. Getting ready for a road trip. Ran both slides out and now neither will come back in. Also, I am able to start and move the coach. I should not be able to do this with the slides out. The fuses are good and the 15 Amp Circuit Breaker is good. The battery is fully charged at 13.17 volts. (Inverter is running). Can anyone enlighten me as to what to check next? I'm leaning towards the Ignition Interlock but I have no clue where that may be located.
67fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2018, 12:38 PM   #2

Check all the storage compartment switches.
79cvx20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:01 PM   #3

Yes, all door switches must be made to let the slide motor work.
Do you have a motorized generator slide? That will run regardless of the cargo doors. If so, and it does run, that tells you the pump is working (uses the same pump as the slides).
I have had my control switch go bad before, easy to jump around it if needed. The inter lock might be in the rear run box, mine was in both of my Monaco's. One sort of an old school relay, the other on a PCB.

Not sure about if you should be able to start and move the coach or not with slides out. In mine, I think all that happened was with the ignition on the pump would not run was all. Of course I bypassed that nonsense!

Windecker
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:10 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to 67fisher Send a message via MSN to 67fisher Send a message via Yahoo to 67fisher
Thanks all. I have no switches on my storage compartment doors except for the wet bay, light is on when the door is open. The slides are Power Gear, all 12 volt motors. I might be able to get the bedroom slide in by taking out the motor and then cranking it in with wrench. The main slide has a brake release but even with that in the release position I cannot budge it. RV tech said to look for bad ground. I have found several and all are clean and tight. Still scratching my head
Old 09-24-2018, 04:18 PM   #5

You might try tapping on your 12 volt solenoids, you should have 2 in rear engine bay, passenger side and I think 2 in forward bay below drivers window, solenoids look like old ford starter solenoids. Good luck
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:52 PM   #6

If you don’t have 12 volts through out you may want to check salesman’s switch
loligag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:11 PM   #7

I removed both switches and have 12.74 volts at each switch
Old 09-24-2018, 05:12 PM   #8

67fisher-

Find the slide control board. A place to look is near the house batteries; it can be inside a plastic box. If the board has removable relays on it, pull one out at a time and replace it. Test. If no change, buy replacements and replace them all, one by one, testing after you replace each one.

Monaco used the same slide contril boards up and down the line for a few years. Our coach's board has five relays. One of them is responsible for the "IN/OUT" function. If that one fails, the slides will typically only open or close, not both.

I should think you can get replacement relays at an auto parts store, although I've not looked to see if they carry the ones on our coach's circuit board. Otherwise, order online with delivery to meet your schedule.

One of the relays on our coach's slide control board is the ignition interlock. It accepts a signal from the ignition-switched chassis bus that is on the Front Distribution Panel. The signal on your coach might originate in the same spot, or in the rear.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:28 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
if hydraulic slides, check your hyd. fluid level --- mine was filled enough to get slides out and when I leveled, it dropped the fluid too much so they wouldn't come back in...
Old 09-25-2018, 05:19 AM   #10

Sorry 67Fisher, I did not know they used Powergear in your coach model/year. I thought they were all pretty much hydraulic.
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67fisher View Post
Thanks all. I have no switches on my storage compartment doors except for the wet bay, light is on when the door is open. The slides are Power Gear, all 12 volt motors. I might be able to get the bedroom slide in by taking out the motor and then cranking it in with wrench. The main slide has a brake release but even with that in the release position I cannot budge it. RV tech said to look for bad ground. I have found several and all are clean and tight. Still scratching my head
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:33 PM   #11

Both my big slides are electric over hyd. Rear bedroom is straight electric.
When my main slides don't want to work it has to do with the park brake switch.
If I push the slide button & the park light comes on the dash, I have to reset the park brake. Some times takes a couple of tries.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:11 AM   #12

The issue is solved. A bad relay was the culprit for the bedroom slide. It now works fine. The large kitchen slide is a completely different matter. Slide motor burnt up. Had to take it out and manually push the slide in. Then we re-installed the motor to hold it. I will install the travel locks before driving. Thanks to all that responded. I sure learned a lot about where all the relays were located. And....this coach does not have the slide circuit boards. Only relays.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:36 AM   #13

67fisher-

Happy to hear the slides are in.

Were the slide relays in (or near) the Front Distribution Panel (per this post on your other thread), or elsewhere?
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:36 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I also have a 2001 Endeavor and would like to know where the relays are located. If not too much trouble, could you post a pic of them?

Lastly, how do you attach the slide travel locks? I've had this rig for 6 years now and never used them because I don't know how to use them and figured it was overkill.
broadrun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide