Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2017, 02:51 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Small Carpet Cleaner Machine?

After all the issues with the coach I've been wading thru of late, seems I must have made them look like mole-hills instead of mountains to wife. Now she wants me to replace the carpet with wood flooring.

I admit it would be easier to care for, and after 10+ years of almost continuous fulltiming would probably look better, but i just can't get my head around the overall task... Fitting it under slideouts, matching the tile height, more noise, cold on bare feet, and so on.

We've reached a compromise (temporary, I'm sure) in that we'd try one of those little carpet cleaners/shampooers for awhile. I have access to a full-size one, but it's not practical to wheel out every time it's needed when the dog forgets to wipe her feet (which is always).

Suggestions?
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2017, 02:54 PM   #2

Clean green carpet machine. Been using one for years, works great. Yea, I have to get down on my hands and knees, but the area is so small it only takes me maybe 15 minutes.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:53 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have a little Bissel Green machine. Compact. It's really for spots and upholstery, but could work for the carpet..

As far as your "compromise". I usually do compromise with my wife and do it her way. Easier in the long haul.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:16 PM   #4

What we're talking about here is water extraction. This is the method preferred by every major carpet mill.
The concept is quite simple with 2 variables. You're wetting the carpet to release the soil and you're vacuuming up the soiled water.
The best way to clean a carpet is to prespray the carpet, then scrub the area with a deck brush. Don't do too large of an area, maybe a 4'x4' section to start.

I'm not a big fan of the Bissells, they don't have the suction, or lift as it's known in the industry, to remove all of the dirty water. If you use the green machine make repeated passed till you don't see moisture coming up through the clear handle if it has one. A cheappie commercial unit will have 90 inches of lift, the Bissell around 50.

Use extraction carpet cleaner, DO NOT use carpet shampoo.

You're using 2 elements to clean here, chemical and mechanical. The carpet chemical is the chemical, the scrubbing is the mechanical.
So after you prespray, then scrub, extract with a clean water rinse. Do not use chemical in the water tank, you'll get a nice clean rinse and reduce resoiling from leaving solution in the carpet.

I've had a commercial cleaning business for 36 years, in addition to nightly janitorial, day porters and hard floor care we're responsible for over 2 million square feet of carpet nightly. The extraction method is the only system we use.
kiethco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:08 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Wow! That's the best and clearest post I could have ever wanted on such a subject, Kieth. You've cleaned up a lot of questions and confusion and got right down to the dirty nitty-gritty {puns very-much intended}. Can't wait to share this info with wife.

Many thanks!

PS: And that's what's so great about this forum... ask a question, and most-often get a terrific response from someone who knows.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:17 AM   #6

THANKS Keithco! That was EXCELLENT information. I now understand what I've been doing wrong with my DIY motorhome carpet cleaning efforts.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:09 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our coach is an 04 and we do have two pups. Small but.... I've always used Resolve powder on the carpet. Has always done an excellent job for me. Just follow the directions. For maybe some soiled area at times I use Awesome. I spray it on let it set for a bit and dab the area with a rag or sponge. Removes any stains all the time. That stuff is exactly as it states "Awesome". We have a very light colored carpet and for the coach being the age that it is you'd never know it by looking at the condition that it's in. Good Luck with your decision on what to do.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:38 AM   #8

Ditto, thanks kiethco
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiethco View Post
The concept is quite simple with 2 variables. You're wetting the carpet to release the soil and you're vacuuming up the soiled water.
I recently bought a bissel and I'm pretty underwhelmed. It got me thinking -- would I be better off spraying the area, scrubbing it and then using my big shop vac as the "extraction" step??
Old 01-13-2021, 11:19 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
Wow! That's the best and clearest post I could have ever wanted on such a subject, Kieth. You've cleaned up a lot of questions and confusion and got right down to the dirty nitty-gritty {puns very-much intended}. Can't wait to share this info with wife.

Many thanks!

PS: And that's what's so great about this forum... ask a question, and most-often get a terrific response from someone who knows.
X2
Old 01-13-2021, 03:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiethco View Post
What we're talking about here is water extraction. This is the method preferred by every major carpet mill.
The best way to clean a carpet is to prespray the carpet, then scrub the area with a deck brush. Don't do too large of an area, maybe a 4'x4' section to start.

I'm not a big fan of the Bissells, they don't have the suction, or lift as it's known in the industry, to remove all of the dirty water. If you use the green machine make repeated passed till you don't see moisture coming up through the clear handle if it has one. A cheappie commercial unit will have 90 inches of lift, the Bissell around 50.

Use extraction carpet cleaner, DO NOT use carpet shampoo.

You're using 2 elements to clean here, chemical and mechanical. The carpet chemical is the chemical, the scrubbing is the mechanical.
So after you prespray, then scrub, extract with a clean water rinse. Do not use chemical in the water tank, you'll get a nice clean rinse and reduce resoiling from leaving solution in the carpet.

I've had a commercial cleaning business for 36 years, in addition to nightly janitorial, day porters and hard floor care we're responsible for over 2 million square feet of carpet nightly. The extraction method is the only system we use.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:13 PM   #12

Rent a machine the first time get it deep clean. Sams has carpet cleaner way cheaper the where you rent.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:32 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, X3 kiethco, great information!

Thanks for sharing.
Josh
Our 2001 Signature Repairs & Upgrades Thread
JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:01 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Without questioning and taking anything away from Keith's excellent explanation, which indeed makes good sense, I would like to add that the little Bissell does come in handy when you have just tipped a full glass of our favourite red wine all over you carpet, or dropped your bowl of Blue Bell ice cream (my absolute favourite) on your couch.

We used ours for years with great success when having the odd accidents.

I kind of remember not having full control of my ice cream after having been wine tasting, but I am not 100% sure. It all seems a bit blurred now.

What do you want to do ?
New mailCopy

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpet