Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2019, 01:46 PM   #1
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Smart Steering Electronics - NEED HELP!

Hello, Monaco, Beaver, and Holiday Rambler Gurus,

I have been having trouble with my Cruise Control, Wiper Control on my Smart Wheel. Working very sporadically, if they ever worked.

I have replaced the Clock Spring to no avail. It does not use the VIP control system which one can get parts for easily. Rather, it uses the Chassis Control Module (CCM), mounted in the front bay under the driver's seat. Apparently, this is what is used in the HR high end coaches as well as the Beaver coaches too. Fortunately, Global would refund you if they can't fix it.

The Monaco part number is 16623981, or E02009. I have included some pictures of what the unit looks like. Unfortunately, the CCM is not made anymore and I have tried all the big salvage yards with no luck.

I located an electronic repair shop (Global Electronics) in Georgia, who promised the world on fixing it. Charged me $1,100, sent to them three different times. It got worse the last time we got it back. They said the couldn't find anything wrong with, we just need to load the proper parameters, i.e. reprogram it, which no one knows how.

So, here is my question: Can the functions of the Smart Wheel be converted to a VIP, or any other control system?

In short, I would really appreciate any suggestions you may have that help me solve my problem?

BTW, a couple of the pictures I copied from another post I viewed.

Thank you all for your assistance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BCM 2.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	233755   Click image for larger version

Name:	BCM.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	233756  

Name:	SAM_0840.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	233757   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	233758  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2019, 05:45 PM   #2

Boy that stinks! This type of issue is exactly how the RV industry sells new RV's. Both the allure of new and the fear of breaking down old.
What is sort of missing is the quality that Monaco put into these coaches during that time. OK, that is another thread I guess.

Maybe stating the obvious or something you have been through but, the electrical connections in the molded nylon connectors need to be looked at very closely. Just a little resistance in the signal wiring somewhere can scramble the logic of the signal.

Not terribly hard to get to the connector that hooks to the smart wheel and the other end at the decoder and ring those connections out between.
You can look for either green or white color sort of dust or staining on the connector which indicates corrosion on the connector. Gentle wiggling of the wiring where it is crimped at the pin while checking resistance is a good idea. Not hard and forcible movement necessarily.

You may have done that already, just trying to help
Windecker
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:30 PM   #3
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Windecker:
Thank you for your thoughts and pointers. I must admit I am not mechanically inclined, especially when it comes to trouble shooting sensitive electronic equipment like this. All the checking and the work is being done by a truck/RV repair shop (Speed Wrench). In addition to checking all connections, I am told the unique issue with all this is that they can get everything (cruise controls, wiper controls, windshield washer) to work properly when the engine is off. As soon as they turn the engine on, nothing works. Strange!

Speed Wrench has suggested to me that they could take the Smart Wheel controls out of the steering wheel and mount some controls somewhere on the dash which I would not prefer. Another thing that adds to the complexity is I have Vorad Collusion Avoidance System that I really like and would like to keep, which is tied to the cruise control.

For little I know, I think there has got to be a way of converting what I have to something like VIP 210/211.

Regards
Old 02-02-2019, 06:42 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I don't see why you could not convert to a standard VIP Smart Wheel. You would need the steering wheel (if it is not already a standard Smart Wheel, and VIP module.

The clock-spring mechanism would need to have four wires coming off it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	696
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	233811  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:42 AM   #5

Well unfortunately I am not the guy to answer how to convert. Also, after looking closer at your pictures see you have a different system than I do for some reason. I have the smartwheel and Vorad system as well but mine has a different "box".
I have on 05 so maybe they changed vendors. Wish I could help, I know how frustrating all this is.
Have you noticed if your idle up works consistently? It likely uses the cruise to control it.
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Windecker:
Thank you for your thoughts and pointers. I must admit I am not mechanically inclined, especially when it comes to trouble shooting sensitive electronic equipment like this. All the checking and the work is being done by a truck/RV repair shop (Speed Wrench). In addition to checking all connections, I am told the unique issue with all this is that they can get everything (cruise controls, wiper controls, windshield washer) to work properly when the engine is off. As soon as they turn the engine on, nothing works. Strange!

Speed Wrench has suggested to me that they could take the Smart Wheel controls out of the steering wheel and mount some controls somewhere on the dash which I would not prefer. Another thing that adds to the complexity is I have Vorad Collusion Avoidance System that I really like and would like to keep, which is tied to the cruise control.

For little I know, I think there has got to be a way of converting what I have to something like VIP 210/211.

Regards
Old 02-02-2019, 08:24 AM   #6
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
I don't see why you could not convert to a standard VIP Smart Wheel. You would need the steering wheel (if it is not already a standard Smart Wheel, and VIP module.

The clock-spring mechanism would need to have four wires coming off it.
Thanks, Mike. Good hearing from you. It is worth pursuing.
Where did you get the wiring diagram? Is it a VIP?

Who would be more familiar to work on things like this - would it be a Cummins shop, Transmission shop? I asked the local Monaco dealer (Veurinks RV) and they told me that they send their chassis work to Speed Wrench (where my coach is now).
Old 02-02-2019, 08:31 AM   #7
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windecker View Post
Well unfortunately I am not the guy to answer how to convert. Also, after looking closer at your pictures see you have a different system than I do for some reason. I have the smartwheel and Vorad system as well but mine has a different "box".
I have on 05 so maybe they changed vendors. Wish I could help, I know how frustrating all this is.
Have you noticed if your idle up works consistently? It likely uses the cruise to control it.
Windecker
Yes, Monaco, HR, and Beaver changed in 2008. It must have been the Roadmaster chassis change of that year.
To be honest, I did not test the idle up.

Is your box a VIP, do you know?

Thanks
Old 02-02-2019, 09:45 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
You can get support here https://www.vipwheels.com/technical-support

Might be worth calling VIP to see if they can recommend someone in your area to do the work.

If you need to go to a shop, this is more "electrical/electronics type work than chassis work, so I would look for a shop that specializes in that type of work - and that normally works on motor homes.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:02 AM   #9
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
You can get support here https://www.vipwheels.com/technical-support

Might be worth calling VIP to see if they can recommend someone in your area to do the work.

If you need to go to a shop, this is more "electrical/electronics type work than chassis work, so I would look for a shop that specializes in that type of work - and that normally works on motor homes.
Mike: I looked up VIP. The following week I am going to be passing by their place in Antioch, IL. I will stop by and chat with them. I see they have a distributor 60 mi from me (a Freightliner Shop). I will call them Monday, too.

As you said, this is more electronics than anything else. However, if it did require some basic knowledge of transmission and engine, they would be lost.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:29 AM   #10

VIP-300
Windecker

Quote:
Yes, Monaco, HR, and Beaver changed in 2008. It must have been the Roadmaster chassis change of that year.
To be honest, I did not test the idle up.

Is your box a VIP, do you know?

Thanks
Old 02-02-2019, 03:09 PM   #11
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
VIP-300
Windecker
Thank you!

Then it is likely that it might work.

IF you have taken yours off to look at, after the wires come out of the Smartwheel into the VIP 300, does it (VIP 300) go into any other controller?
Old 02-03-2019, 08:13 AM   #12

I will see if I can get a picture of mine.
Do you have the wiring diagram for he coach? If so, it will be shown there.
Windecker

Quote:
Thank you!

Then it is likely that it might work.

IF you have taken yours off to look at, after the wires come out of the Smartwheel into the VIP 300, does it (VIP 300) go into any other controller?
Old 02-03-2019, 09:37 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
M&M are the Motorhome Electronics guru's https://www.mmrvelectronics.com/
Their home location is Ohio City, OH, but their winter location is near DeLand, FL. Suggest you give them a call to discuss. If Mark and Chris can't fix it, it can't be fixed.

Gene M
2004 Knight
CadillLinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:13 AM   #14
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I will see if I can get a picture of mine.
Do you have the wiring diagram for he coach? If so, it will be shown there.
Windecker
I really appreciate your willingness to go out of your way to help! I'm grateful to you and others who are trying to be of help.

Oddly, in the documentation I got from the original owner, I don't have any wiring diagram. I had a CC Affinity, and recall it came with all kinds of drawings including the wiring diagrams.

Kind regards
srh

Tags
need help, steering