Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2017, 05:46 PM   #1

Smart wheel short

I have a short in my 2008 Dynasty that will not let me work my wipers and cruise at times then will also work at times. Will the short in the smart wheel also be my problem with my tow car lights going off and on? Not sure where the ground is to the smart wheel, and suggestions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2017, 06:54 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Technical Support | Vehicle Improvement Products Inc.

Super website...find your wheel then click Trouble Shoot and get the correct manual with trouble tips. Intro is pretty interesting read as well.

Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomed View Post
Technical Support | Vehicle Improvement Products Inc.

Super website...find your wheel then click Trouble Shoot and get the correct manual with trouble tips. Intro is pretty interesting read as well.
I agree that the site is great for someone that understands scamaticts. I need to know where the ground is on the dynasty for the smart wheel but I cannot read the prints that are put in the manual. I see you have a dynasty also, do you know where the ground is located on your coach for your smart wheel?
Old 05-01-2017, 08:52 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ken,

I understand exactly what you said. Two suggestions: call Monaco Tech Support for help locating the ground. 877-466-6226. The techs are pretty good.

If the ground is good, call VIP, the Smart Wheel manufacturer's tech support. Their techs are quite good, too.

Based on my recent experience and discussions with a couple of very knowledgable guys, the most likely problem is the clock spring. Mine cost about $300 parts and labor to replace.

Cheers,
Old 05-02-2017, 07:18 AM   #5

I just had my wipers, horn and cruise control failed gradually on me. i exchanged emails with VIP and they suggested that I first checked all wire connections and made sure that there was continuity between the steering wheel and the controller. According to the tech, most of the time, problems come from bad connections in the steering column or from the clock spring. However, should the controller need to be changed they had one available (SM211) for $114.47 + tax & shipping. Not knowledgeable enough to open the steering column and do the work myself, I brought the coach to a well reputed repair shop and they found the controller to be the problem (it was oxidized). However, they ordered the controller directly from Monaco who sold it to them for $534 instead of the $114 it would have been directly from VIP. After the repair shop's mark-up of 30%, I ended up paying $694 + tax & shipping, i.e. more than 6 times the VIP price.
So I suggest you open the controller to see if the printed board got oxidized (mine was on the floor, under the dash on the left side of the steering column, where some water may have got) before opening the steering column. If the controller is to be changed, order from VIP and change it yourself which, with the instructions on the VIP website, seems fairly easy to do.
LCharron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:25 PM   #6

Did you check the. Front run Bay for water intrusion.also in that area the control box for smart wheel may have problems. There is white wire that enters that box and it may show signs of being burnt.
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Did you check the. Front run Bay for water intrusion.also in that area the control box for smart wheel may have problems. There is white wire that enters that box and it may show signs of being burnt.
I will also check this out when I can get out of bed, back went out. Thanks and I will report the final fix to this problem.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:51 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Ken
The clockspring seems to be the weak link on these systems. I had exactly the same issue and replacing the clockspring fixed the problem. If you have the mechanical inclination and a wheel puller its a pretty quick fix. there are some links on here that run you though it. The biggest thing is to make sure the front tires are straight and the steering wheel is straight so the clockspring is centralized. This will insure that it doesn't overwind on one side or the other when going lock to lock. I had the control box go bad as well, but the circuit in the controller that tends to go bad runs the head/running lights, the current load appears to be too high for the circuit. I changed the box and switched all the running lights to LED to reduce the load. Hope this helps!
B
Old 05-02-2017, 08:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCharron View Post
I just had my wipers, horn and cruise control failed gradually on me. i exchanged emails with VIP and they suggested that I first checked all wire connections and made sure that there was continuity between the steering wheel and the controller. According to the tech, most of the time, problems come from bad connections in the steering column or from the clock spring. However, should the controller need to be changed they had one available (SM211) for $114.47 + tax & shipping. Not knowledgeable enough to open the steering column and do the work myself, I brought the coach to a well reputed repair shop and they found the controller to be the problem (it was oxidized). However, they ordered the controller directly from Monaco who sold it to them for $534 instead of the $114 it would have been directly from VIP. After the repair shop's mark-up of 30%, I ended up paying $694 + tax & shipping, i.e. more than 6 times the VIP price.
So I suggest you open the controller to see if the printed board got oxidized (mine was on the floor, under the dash on the left side of the steering column, where some water may have got) before opening the steering column. If the controller is to be changed, order from VIP and change it yourself which, with the instructions on the VIP website, seems fairly easy to do.
Wow that is absolutely ridiculous! That type of price gouging should be illegal. I bought a controller a couple of weeks ago from VIP and had it sent to where we are in Canada. With the exchange rate plus duties and taxes it came to just over $300 CDN. It turned out that the advice of the VIP Tech was wrong and the controller was not the issue. VIP refunded my credit card and told me to just keep the new controller. The problem was actually the buttons/console on the steering wheel.

I made the mistake of ordering three window latch locks from Monaco last fall at $22 US a piece. Shortly there after I just happened to see them online directly from the manufacturer for $5 a piece. So I can relate to your story. If at all possible I will never order anything from Monaco again.

Irishguy
Old 05-03-2017, 06:53 AM   #10

Irish Guy, had I known I could have bought the controller you got for free, for a good price, I guess!
LCharron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:21 PM   #11

For ref...
Clock Spring failed 2004 Dynasty

2004 Monaco Dynasty
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCharron View Post
Irish Guy, had I known I could have bought the controller you got for free, for a good price, I guess!
Yep!
Old 05-04-2017, 10:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
You say there is a white wire, I looked and there are about 20 white wires that go into the controller?
Old 05-04-2017, 06:23 PM   #14

I went out and looked for that wire. Mine was rewired about 5 years ago so I cannot tell which wire it was. I also remember there was a few posts from other owners with the same problem. I think they increased the wire size. Wish I could help more. While you are in that front run bay check for corrosion on any of the boards. The door to that bay has to be adjusted so it fits tightly. You might talk to Monaco tech and see if they have anything to add.

moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote