Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2018, 12:01 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Smartire TPMS sensor availability

I have the Smartire TPMS RV system. Whats left of it anyways... This system is owned by Bendix CV but was discontinued for RV's in about 2012, maybe earlier. No support left from them. I have 2 sensors that currently need replacing and I'm sure six more shortly. Has anyone dealt with this issue successfully? I cannot find any sensors available anywhere and I'm doing some tire changes in a couple weeks. Thanks All.
tomckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2018, 01:43 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
What made your TPMS special to an RV? Bendix still makes the Smartire TPMS, are yours a different frequency or pressure range than the present ones? Have you talked to Bendix Service and Support? Perhaps if you think so many of your sensors need replacing or rebuilding, a whole new system might be cheaper for future longevity.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:47 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had Bob Dickman's Les Schwab in Junction City Oregon replace all 8 of my MH sensors in Nov 2016, then had them add 4 more for the towed in Nov 2017.
The sensors are still available, finding someone to work on the system is tough.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:50 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
These particular sensors were specific for RV's, but not for any reason I can think of. Smartire had applications for RV's, motorcycles, auto's, commercial and industrial vehicles. They discontinued all except commercial now that Bendix CV owns it. They were not made interchangeable and the commercial system is nothing like the RV system........
probably as stated "different frequencies" and transmitters.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Mr D, thanks much for that info! they still had some sensors and they are shipping to me today. I have been searching all over for them.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:37 PM   #6

I ordered 8 new sensors from Coretronics in 2016 at a cost of $93/each and the address on the shipping documents is: 1251 E, Iron Eagle Drive; Eagle ID phone # 208-938-6331.

Additionally, if you were to want to contact Bendix they may be reached at customerservice@bendixcvs.com
Gary LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:44 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Gary LS, thanks for info. I was able to get them for about $87 each and no tax in OR. Bendix was of very little help, but they were curteous.......
Old 01-20-2018, 05:44 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomckeon View Post
Mr D, thanks much for that info! they still had some sensors and they are shipping to me today. I have been searching all over for them.
How are you going to program the "head" unit to recognize the new sensors? The internal unit needs to be programmed to recognize the new sensors and very fee places will even work on them since it takes a hand held programming unit?
Old 01-20-2018, 05:51 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure yet, they said they were sending instructions. And they also said they sell them and ship them frequently. Hoping that is enough but we go through that area often so may have to stop.....
Old 01-20-2018, 07:55 PM   #10

I have the instructions that they sent me when I replaced all 8 of my sensors and can send to you if you don't get them from Bendix.
Gary LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:20 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
that would be great Gary, thanks, will let you know if I need them.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:17 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Gary, sensors arrived today, They are yellow, not red like the old ones and say "Gen 2". The instructions they sent are for mounting the sensors, but they do not go into programming them or which position they should be in. they do have ID numbers on them with stickers to use later probably to identify in controller? Did your instructions from coretronics explain programming? would love to have them if they did.
Thanks, Tom
tomckeon1161@gmail.com
Old 02-01-2018, 04:18 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
UPDATE
My Smartire TPMS system is back fully functional- totally thrilled! So the skinny on this is, This system is not available "as new" but, there are sensors still readily available. Thanks to Mr D and Gary LS for providing sources.
My sensors came from Bob Dickman's Les Schwab Tire in Junction City OR. These guys were great to work with and Bryan the Smartire system guru there took care of me and provided the expertise. They sold the sensors for about $86/ea. plus a little SH fee. No tax to WA. I had the sensors put on as I was replacing some tires in WA. I then had to remove the Receiver/computer and send to Junction City where Bryan programmed it for the newly installed sensors and they sent it right back. The turn around was just a couple days. I just needed the sensor ID and sensor location of each unit for him to do that. All in all, went great, and they keep about 25 sensors on the shelf at all times.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:24 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The new yellow sensors transmit all the time so you don't have wait very long to see the pressures. Brian said they found very little differ difference in total life. Not sure I totally believe that
I did have to have one sensor replaced as it was giving high pressure warnings but the pressure was correct. No problems now.