RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2018, 09:51 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Do you have something like this? Small plastic valve. Mine was stuck slightly open, cleaned it and hopefully it fixed it.
Yes, but that is under the other sink with no smell. Replaced it with a brass one 3 years ago.
Different sink though.

Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2018, 10:07 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Well, bleach in the sink has worked so far for the past week. Fingers crossed.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:34 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
life is good!
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:31 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Hey John,

I had a similar problem years ago with my bathroom sink at home. The wife's sink never had the awful "smell", but mine often did. I would temporarily cure the "smell" using bleach but it would eventually return.

I mentioned it to a friend who is a master plumber. He chuckled, and asked, "where do you shave?" I told him that I always shave in the bathroom mirror above my sink. He shook his head and asked where I thought all of the stubble was going? He explained that the small pieces of hair from my electric razor were heavy enough to collect in the pee-trap below the sink. Over time this hair builds up and eventually begins to decompose in the pee-trap and the awful smell rises up into the sink.

He told me to go home and put a bucket below the pee-trap to collect the water, and to take apart the trap and thoroughly clean the inside of the pipe. When I took apart the pee-trap I was shocked to find a small amount of slimy black decomposing hair....so gross! It doesn't take much to really smell bad.

My plumber friend scolded me and said that my bathroom sink is not a "garbage disposal". He told me to take a damp tissue and wipe up the stubble after shaving, and either throw it in the waste basket or flush it in the toilet so as not to allow it to accumulate in the pee-trap. 15 years later, and I can say problem solved!

Hope this helps,

Jim
zo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:35 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Interesting. Though I shave in the shower. Took the p trap apart 2 times and it only cured for a few days.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:38 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Interesting. Though I shave in the shower. Took the p trap apart 2 times and it only cured for a few days.
John,

I just ran into the same issue in a rental house of mine. We took the sink pop up stopper and mechanical linkage out. Then took a bottle brush and put it down the sink drain as far as we could go (need to get to below water level in P trap), spinning it and going up and down. Lots of black 'crud' came out. Reconnected everything. Smell seems to have stopped and drains so much faster as well.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:28 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Try running one of these through the plumbing. It should cure it.

https://www.amazon.com/Inch-Cleaning...+cleaning+tool
Old 06-23-2018, 09:29 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Update, back in the drain worked for just at a month of fulltime use. Just had to do that again a few days ago.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:51 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Update, back in the drain worked for just at a month of fulltime use. Just had to do that again a few days ago.

I'm still thinking if you disassemble all the drain pipes and clean interior with a bottle brush, it will be long lasting. Not a fun job.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:53 AM   #24

John,
You are right when you say the grey can smell just as bad as the black tank. In my case it has since the day I bought it (used). I don't know what the other owners put down the kitchen sink but I have been trying to clean it out for 4+ years. I have seen some weird things come out of that grey tank while cleaning.
Couple of thoughts:
Harry told me about "Happy Camper" powder and it has really seemed to work.
Also, I have tried calgon soap and boiling water as well as all kinds of drain cleaners from HD with no real progress. But, Just a week ago, while unloading the fridge, I decided the gallon jug of "Squirt" was so old that it had probably lost its fizz. I poured it down the kitchen sink - it had not lost any of its fizz. when I dumped the tanks an hour later I was amazed at the crud that came out of the grey tank. I'm only guessing that the fizz and lemon juice broke up some crud in the grey p-trap.
Just a thought.

Mark
Old 06-25-2018, 09:58 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Mark. I have my grey tank pretty clean. The smell only comes from 1 of 3 drains going to the tank. So I am doubtful it is the tank. More likely that particular drain. Like Bill said, I should probably take that line apart and scrub, but I have already done that to the sink and p trap.
As far as tanks. I am now using the liquid Calgon water softener after each dump and adding liquid dishwasher detergent when traveling down the road. Works well.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:44 AM   #26

Mark, John, when I purchased my coach brought it home I noticed it was a 1/4 full on each tank. Ok sensors are dirty or at the dealership they used it and itís been sitting how long? Who knows.
Friend of mine helped me with a quick solution.
I drained everything, lots of stuff Iíll say in both tanks.
I added 1 gallon of lemon juice and 1 gallon of white vinegar, with 5 gallons of hot water in each tank.
Note while adding this mixture for gray water I added some down each sink trap and shower.
Drove around for an hour, then let set overnight.
What came out was from another world Iíd say. Flush tanks for 1/2 a day until it ran clean
Now Happy Campers used. Once an awhile I add Calgon with dawn liquid after I dumped with hot water and drive to next destination or home. Start Happy Campers again.
A million ways to go but works for me.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:30 AM   #27

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1710[1]2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	208527Have you checked the outside vent for your tank? If for some reason it is not properly venting, when you put water into the drain it has no where to let the gas (smell) to go other than back into the unit. Here is a picture of the vents on top of my 5er. There are two, one each for grey and black tanks.
Also, when dump your tanks, these will allow the tank to not get vapor locked. If not venting properly then the tank would pull air from the drains inside the unit removing any water being held in the p traps. Any issues when dumping the grey tank? Any odd noises from drains when dumping?
Just a thought.
Zoom
Zoom Zoom 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:52 AM   #28

Perry,
I like the vinegar idea, I'll try that. Other worldly was a good description of the stuff I saw. My first big cleaning breakthrough came when I saw what looked like a folded car chamois 2'x2' sliding through the clear fitting!
ZoomZoom has a good point, I've never looked much at the vents, I'll do that.

Tags
smell