Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2018, 05:04 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Smell from sink

Ok, probably won't get far with this, but here goes.
Our main sink, next to the shower, stinks horribly when you run water down it. No smell if it is just sitting, only when water runs down it.
This sink is tied to the same drain as our shower (never smells from shower ) and is on the slide out.
Already replaced the air admittance valve (AAV).
Baking soda work for a while, already took the traps off and cleaned, no bueno.

Can't seem to attach pics for some reason.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2018, 05:17 PM   #2

IF 'P' Traps have been CLEANED then you need to CLEAN the drain line after 'P' traps

Gunk, grease/oils, food particles have accumulated in the horizontal run of drain line.
Odors get stirred up when you run water down drain.

Stiff wire with rag tied SECURELY to wire ...soak rag in some dish soap and then run it in/out of horizontal section
Reinstall 'P' trap assemblies and flush with HOT water
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:18 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
Ok, probably won't get far with this, but here goes.
Our main sink, next to the shower, stinks horribly when you run water down it. No smell if it is just sitting, only when water runs down it.
This sink is tied to the same drain as our shower (never smells from shower ) and is on the slide out.
Already replaced the air admittance valve (AAV).
Baking soda work for a while, already took the traps off and cleaned, no bueno.

Can't seem to attach pics for some reason.
John,

Does that sink have an overflow drain? It goes from the front of the sink down to the drain line. They are usually internal within the sink material. I've seen that drain line get a little crud in it and will start to smell.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:20 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
John,

Does that sink have an overflow drain? It goes from the front of the sink down to the drain line. They are usually internal within the sink material. I've seen that drain line get a little crud in it and will start to smell.
No, no overflow.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:28 PM   #5

Always re-size photos before posting 640 pixels works for me , other instructions in the link below.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/forum...ics-49134.html

I had to print out the instructions for posting photos so I could double check things as I went along.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:31 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
IF 'P' Traps have been CLEANED then you need to CLEAN the drain line after 'P' traps

Gunk, grease/oils, food particles have accumulated in the horizontal run of drain line.
Odors get stirred up when you run water down drain.

Stiff wire with rag tied SECURELY to wire ...soak rag in some dish soap and then run it in/out of horizontal section
Reinstall 'P' trap assemblies and flush with HOT water
Oh yuk... but it makes sense. About the only thing I haven't done yet.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:32 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Always re-size photos before posting 640 pixels works for me , other instructions in the link below.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/forum...ics-49134.html

I had to print out the instructions for posting photos so I could double check things as I went along.
Before this last 'upgrade' to the mobile app, it always went through.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:15 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Before taking things apart, run a solution of strong bleach and water thru the line. Let is sit for a day and flush out with water....might just work.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:32 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ever so carefully remove the cap on the air vent on the line that runs from the sink to the black tank. Chances are the vent it plugged with gunk which will cause horrible odors. You'll need to take apart the vent and clean it. Nasty job, but over the years it accumulates grease and gunk. It will seem to function allowing water to still drain, but at a slower rate. Cleaning it will provide you with startling contrast in flow and odor control.
USA-RVNomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:00 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
I had the same “chase the smell” saga. I had to fully disassemble the sink drain connection (screws to the bottom of the drain plug on the underside of the sink) and clean around the connection. With my setup there was a small “flange” area that had crud in it. As well I cleaned the crud out of the DWV pipe from the bottom of the sink to the p-trap with a couple of long handle bottle brushes.
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:37 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagesByHawk View Post
Ever so carefully remove the cap on the air vent on the line that runs from the sink to the black tank. Chances are the vent it plugged with gunk which will cause horrible odors. You'll need to take apart the vent and clean it. Nasty job, but over the years it accumulates grease and gunk. It will seem to function allowing water to still drain, but at a slower rate. Cleaning it will provide you with startling contrast in flow and odor control.
As large as that pipe is, I never thought of that, when I replaced the vent.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:23 AM   #12

I find it odd that the AAV under a bathroom sink is for the black tank unless the sink drains to the black tank. I know mine is a different make/model. On mine the AAV is there for the grey tank as the plumbing for both the sink and shower go to the grey. A used grey tank can small just as foul as the black.

Now, on my unit which has a black tank flusher there IS a valve under the sink counter attached between the line the is used by the flusher to prevent stuff for back feeding out the flush line. If this valve remains open then oder from the black tank can and does enter the MH. These valves are notorious just like the AAV for going bad or needing cleaning out. I just went through this, but am not sure yet that the problem is gone.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:25 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
The AAV on this drain is to the gray tank. You are right, smells just as bad as black.
Bleached it last night. We will see. Have been chasing my tail for a year or more on this (fulltime).
Old 05-16-2018, 09:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
The AAV on this drain is to the gray tank. You are right, smells just as bad as black.
Bleached it last night. We will see. Have been chasing my tail for a year or more on this (fulltime).
Do you have something like this? Small plastic valve. Mine was stuck slightly open, cleaned it and hopefully it fixed it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FD807988-4F1B-4E67-B184-FCC7CD0912E1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	402.2 KB
ID:	202957  

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell