RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2006, 06:43 AM   #1
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
Looks like the Smith pack (one SO, one Golden Retriever and one Scottish Terrier) will be rolling south on 12/25. Destination is Lake Luraleen State Park just out of Tuscaloosa. Couple of nights there, then on to Brookhaven, MS, where I have a nice 30-amp plug beside my dad's garage and a view of pine trees and briar patches right outside our door. There in MS, the pack grows to include our son, DiL, and two gran'babys. The trip to Gunter, TX, on 12/30 will be a packaging exercise. I wonder if a 2-year-old will pull doggie ears and tails?

We hope to get parked in a nice TX state park for New Years. Don't have reservations yet because their reservation system requires at least a PhD and four administrative assistants to work your way through! Wish us luck cause the fall back location is the local high school parking lot.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all you folks. May your holidays be safe and happy and may all your needs be met.

Ron and Donna Smith
Huntsville (RocketCity), AL

RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2006, 06:43 AM   #2
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
Looks like the Smith pack (one SO, one Golden Retriever and one Scottish Terrier) will be rolling south on 12/25. Destination is Lake Luraleen State Park just out of Tuscaloosa. Couple of nights there, then on to Brookhaven, MS, where I have a nice 30-amp plug beside my dad's garage and a view of pine trees and briar patches right outside our door. There in MS, the pack grows to include our son, DiL, and two gran'babys. The trip to Gunter, TX, on 12/30 will be a packaging exercise. I wonder if a 2-year-old will pull doggie ears and tails?

We hope to get parked in a nice TX state park for New Years. Don't have reservations yet because their reservation system requires at least a PhD and four administrative assistants to work your way through! Wish us luck cause the fall back location is the local high school parking lot.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all you folks. May your holidays be safe and happy and may all your needs be met.

Ron and Donna Smith
Huntsville (RocketCity), AL

Old 12-23-2006, 08:27 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Sounds like a great trip there Ron. As far as those nice TX state parks you might want to call the reservation number for that time of the year ( 512-389-8900 ) not toll free but its worth checking on. Reserve America is the web site I assume you are talking about. The New Year is generally a big time of the year around some of the state parks here. Enjoy your trip.

06 HR PDQ 40'
crudeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 12:51 PM   #4

Ron
We aint going nowhere, hunkering down big time and let them come to us. Not gonna get on the road with the amateurs. We have a Christmas Eve thing with Santa and all for family and friends. Usually about 60 folks. Over by 10:00
Then the kids and their families come back for Miss Sue's traditional Gumbo late Christmas day.
Sounds like a nice trip. When you're in Brookhaven, slip off down to McComb one day for lunch at the Dinner Bell, awesome down home cookin but you've probably already been there. We go to Percy Quinn SP a couple of times a year just to eat lunch there.
Be safe and enjoy

Merry Christmas
Dave
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 04:35 PM   #5

Merry Christmas all!

We're in So Cal for the holidays, and then heading for Indio and Quartzite for a couple of rallies after New Years. Gonna spend a month or so in sunny Arizona before a slow trek east. Will be in Texas in early April.

Safe travels and Happy Holidays,
Bruce and Sharon

Spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 05:22 PM   #6
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
Yuuuummmmm, ain't nobody can make Christmas gumbo like a LA native. Our family is so spread out we try to meet at the family home in B'haven and get as many as can attend in one place. I recall someone mentioning The Dinner Bell and bragging on the food. Usually though, we sit around my dad's place eatin' peas, butterbeans, cornbread several different kinds of pies. Good weight loss program if you can stick to it.

Wow Spur! Now that's some "read-about-it-in-the-RV magazine" type travelling. Have fun and be safe. We'll hang out here with the gumbo and laignappe.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:21 AM   #7

Yep, Miss Sue does a right tolable job on her gumbo. We did all the preliminary preps yesterday, chopping onions, peppers, celery and making the roux so that tomorrow it'll just take some cooking and add the shrimp, crabs and oysters which since the storm have gotten so expensive you can hardly afford them.
If you like the peas, butter beans and cornbread you'll love the Dinner Bell. Add in some chicken & dumplins, turnip greens, fried chicken, usually some kind of roast & gravy, potatos and then the dessert tray is awesome, usually with banana pudding, cobbler and pies. All this is on a big lazy susan in the middle of a big round table that seats 18. When you leave you've got 16 new friends. Just take your time and eat to your hearts content for $9 weekdays. The women who work there have been there for yrs. and just keep coming with new bowls of goodies.
Just Google Dinner Bell. Their site has their daily menu's and a history of the place.
When settin around looking at the pine trees and briars you wouldn't be partaking of some of the South's fine sipping products now would you?
Enjoy
Merry Christmas
Dave
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 07:22 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Just completed the first leg of our Holiday journey--Tacoma WA to LA. Here for Christmas and then off to Santa Fe NM and then back home. Sunshine and 70s today. Huge relief from the storm we just survived in Tacoma--70 mph winds, which put a branch through the panavision windshield ($3500). Hope y'all have a great Christmas and New Year.
Flyer
Old 12-24-2006, 09:00 AM   #9
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
Dadgummit cajun, you done gone an got slobber all over my keyboard!

Flyer, may the reaminder of your trip be carefree. Guess I got off lucky with only $1500 for a new windshield (left side only). We saw the weather reports of that wind on the news. At least it didn't take your awning and chairs into the next county!
Old 12-24-2006, 07:36 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
We have made the drive up to one set of parents in the No. Cal foothills. Glad we have made it up before the rain starts.
I am looking forward to fixing a nice juicy prime rib for them tomorrow...but after reading the above posts...I may have to post my "Gumbo-laya". It is a cross between Jambalaya & Gumbo -and boy is it lip-smackin good!!

Flyer... glad we aren't in Wa...sorry to hear about the Panavision.

Hope everyone enjoys their Christmas tomorrow

MoMaMa

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote