Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2017, 01:51 PM   #1

So do you follow manual when it comes to leveling?

Will be picking up our new to us Monaco this coming Friday. Have down loaded the manual and been going over it. We are new to MH but not RV's.
So the big thing I noticed in the manual is they says is open the slides than level the coach. Now coming from TT, 5th wheels & toy hauler first thing I did was level the RV than extend the slides. With 20 + years of having slide RV's I don't think I can unlearn what I have been doing.
The other thing is I think it makes more sense to level first than extend the slides. Anyone else agree, and if not why. Oh and don't say because the manual says so. I've found manuals to be wrong.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2017, 01:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK46 View Post
Will be picking up our new to us Monaco this coming Friday. Have down loaded the manual and been going over it. We are new to MH but not RV's.
So the big thing I noticed in the manual is they says is open the slides than level the coach. Now coming from TT, 5th wheels & toy hauler first thing I did was level the RV than extend the slides. With 20 + years of having slide RV's I don't think I can unlearn what I have been doing.
The other thing is I think it makes more sense to level first than extend the slides. Anyone else agree, and if not why. Oh and don't say because the manual says so. I've found manuals to be wrong.
They are probably hoping that the coach on its suspension will be less likely to bind the slides. When you lift a coach that size on the leveling jacks, it is easy to twist it. They know the slides work when it is on its tires.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:57 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Mike
Monaco designed their coaches a little different than others, so yes, you put the slides out while you are still on the travel suspension as that is how they are rigged at the factory. In pilling in your slides, you need to get back on the ride suspension before you pull the slides in. May seem strange to you, but it may save you some binding in the future.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:35 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
YES!!
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:39 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Just remember FOLI, First Out Last In.

Monaco slides are installed on a flat level surface while the coach is at proper ride-height. Therefore with hydraulic jacks it is FOLI.

With air leveling you can do either, while at ride-height or when level, since there are no jacks to twist the frame in different directions.

I never rely totally on my auto-air leveling because it is not accurate enough for me. I always manually level my coach with air to get it perfect such that the shower door and toilet room door stay put when you open them.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:41 PM   #6

Follow the instructions in the manual.
Rburian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:23 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Our Windsor has auto air leveling. Monaco says extend the slides while the air bags are still in the "Travel" mode, then level the coach! I actually dump the air before leveling.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:26 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
It Depends

Mike,

You have hit upon a topic that has been much discussed in this forum, as doing some searching here will verify. Many of the threads are full of disagreements - some with heated arguments.

Here's my opinion (and I should stress that it is ONLY an opinion)... After reading much about this subject in the past, I came to the conclusion that there isn't a lot of credibility to the argument that Moncao advises moving the slides before leveling because they "set the slides while the coach is on its tires at full ride height". The reason I find that argument bothersome is that almost EVERY coach manufacture does the same thing, but Monaco seems to be the only one that advises "slides before leveling".

Many make the argument that the reason Monaco recommends slides first before leveling is due to their 3-jack design (with one center hydraulic jack in the front), rather than the 4-point system that most other manufacturers use. I happen to agree with that. If your Signature has 4-point air leveling, rather than the 3-point hydraulic jacks, the good news for you is that it probably doesn't matter which way you do it.

Here are some thoughts I put together on this subject back when this topic was a really hot argument on this forum. This "opinion" deals mostly with hydraulic jacks as that was what was on the Monaco Diplomat that I owned when I wrote it.

Interestingly, the manual for my new Monaco Diplomat recommends leveling with the jacks first. But then, it's really not a "Monaco" in the same sense that the older coaches were - it's more like an upscale Fleetwood coach, or an American Revolution. And it has a 4-point leveling system.

So, Mike, you are "on your own" to resolve how you're going to do it. But I hope I (and others) have been able to give you some things to think about.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:05 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Many make the argument that the reason Monaco recommends slides first before leveling is due to their 3-jack design (with one center hydraulic jack in the front), [/QUOTE]
I have a Beaver made by Monaco. I do not have a 3 jack leveling system. I have 4 jacks that level to the axle and never touch the ground, in addition to the air leveling system. With that in mind I don't think it's for the reason stated. I too have watched all the arguments here and on other forums. I can't escape the fact that the manufacturer says to level while at ride height. It is for a reason and I for one will follow it if I can escape or delay slide issues. Just my opinion.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:35 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_M View Post
Many make the argument that the reason Monaco recommends slides first before leveling is due to their 3-jack design (with one center hydraulic jack in the front),
I have 4 jacks that level to the axle and never touch the ground, in addition to the air leveling system. With that in mind I don't think it's for the reason stated....I can't escape the fact that the manufacturer says to level while at ride height. It is for a reason and I for one will follow it if I can escape or delay slide issues. Just my opinion.
Jerry,

I'm certainly NOT saying that you are wrong. Indeed, Monaco made that recommendation in the manual regardless of whether the coach had hydraulic or air leveling. But I always found it curious that Monaco, to the best of my knowledge, never explained in writing the reason for the recommendation when all other manufacturers seemed to be recommending the opposite procedure.

Remember the old "Tech Tips"? There were hundreds of them, dealing with every subject "under the sun". Back in the day, I read almost every one of them, and to the best of my knowledge, this topic was never even mentioned there. Now, I guess, we'll never know.

On another subject, I'm curious about something you said... Can you tell me why your coach has 4 jacks that level to the axle and never touch the ground? What purpose do they serve?
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:48 PM   #11

My Monaco has both air and hydraulic leveling. So that is another thing that's new to me, even after 35+ years of RVing.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:25 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I have had two legacy Monaco technicians tell me to put the slides out and in at ride height in our 2006 Diplomat. That was good enough for me. BTW, our manual was silent on the procedure...
RileyCaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:16 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK46 View Post

My Monaco has both air and hydraulic leveling. So that is another thing that's new to me, even after 35+ years of RVing.
I wished that the original owner of my 2002 Windsor had ordered the optional Air/Hydraulic Combo Leveling instead of just the Air Leveling.

HWH wanted $8000 to add the Hydraulic Leveling to my coach.

You have the BEST of both worlds.

Enjoy your coach!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:02 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I own a 2009 Holiday Rambler with a 3 point leveling system. I've owned other RVs before, all with 4 jacks so Monaco's process for moving the slides seemed contrary to what I was used to so I tried it both ways. First I did what I was accustomed to doing and that failed big time. The slides began to retract but came in at an angle so had to stop and redo it. Second time the slides jammed! I was done so now I always follow their process and extend and retract at travel height. Haven't had a problem in 5 years since.

I figured the manual was written that way for a reason. Good luck!

I believe it may have something to do with that single jack in the front and the stress on the frame when all the weight starts to move and is concentrated on one side of the coach.

Tags
leveling, manual