Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2019, 08:40 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Soft Spot in Floor 2000 Monaco Monarch

I have a soft spot in the floor right beside the slide out and behind the driver seat. It’s about a 2’ round place. I pulled the flooring cover (vinyl) up and it has a layer of wood that is deteriorating. Am I right that there is an aluminum floor under the wood one? I need to tear this spot out and fix it. Just wondering what I’m getting in to.
Brasher801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2019, 05:21 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
It's gotta go so just cut it out and see. I used an oscillating cutter to only cut out the bad section of floor and it made it easy to size a new piece for an exact fit. The most important part of this repair is to make sure the water intrusion has stopped.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:40 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasher801 View Post
I have a soft spot in the floor right beside the slide out and behind the driver seat. It’s about a 2’ round place. I pulled the flooring cover (vinyl) up and it has a layer of wood that is deteriorating. Am I right that there is an aluminum floor under the wood one? I need to tear this spot out and fix it. Just wondering what I’m getting in to.
Send me a PM with your phone number and I'll call and tell you how I fixed our floor. The floor is actually 2 layers of 5/8" OSB.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:39 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How do I send a PM? I can’t figure out how.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:40 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Water intrusion is stopped .
Old 12-05-2019, 02:22 PM   #6

I do not have a Monaco. I do have the same damage in the same place -- probably for the same reason -- bottom seal on the driver side power window failed, water ran down the inside of the "door" area, and the drip tray at the bottom of the window channel failed to channel water out of the area. Silly reason for major damage, as I temporarily solved the intrusion with a strip of duc tape at the window seal . . . So I'll tell the story in hopes that it will inspire you in your effort:

My bus floor has a 2-1/2" void between the subfloor and the tin. The void has standard spun fiberglass insulation. The jousts are 1.5"x2.5" wood to the rear, and 1" square steel stock from the driver seat forward. The 1" void in that area is filled with 1/2" of nasty white styrafoam. The subfloor is a particle board with no specific grain. Over that is a carpet (forward) and wood laminate flooring (galley rearward through the bath area).My visible damage was from beside the driver seat back about 8 inches to just under the slide, and inboard about 10 inches. My intent was to remove the carpet and 65,000,000.01 staples, fix the damage, and redo the entire bus with vinyl plank flooring.

I probed with a drill and came up with black wood under the subfloor in all directions from the visible damage. The water had saturated the insulation and rotted the floor joists and subfloor from the bottom up. The insulation was disgusting. But it was impossible to assess the extent of the rot without tearing into it.

I bought an oscillating tool (Bosch, from the pumpkin-colored store) and nipped out a bit of subfloor. The top on some joists were still normal looking, but they were black and pithy at the bottom. The outside edge joist and the two inboard from there were perished, as was the first cross-joist. I probed and cut looking for good wood. I used a camera to look in the voids. My 8x10" damage became 7'x3'. The fiberglass was saturated several feet deeper.

I removed the insulation and gave it a few days to dry out. I used the oscillating cutter and the Sawzall to remove the damaged sections of joist and the screws and staples intruding into the area. I bought a 2x6 stud and dimensioned it as joist stock. I daughtered in new joists, making them stronger under the slide roller. I used that blue sheet insulation to refill the voids -- I could push a 1" layer and a 1.5" layer up the length of the voids and they filled the space nicely.

I should note here that the damage extended well under the slide. A roller had sunk through the floor and the slide was down by the bow. The damage extended from the outside edge to a foot inboard of the extended slide. I needed instructions from the good folks on IRV2 to safely tilt the slide so I could work under it without damaging the bus or myself. But I digress.

I dimensioned new ACX and fitted. It's slightly taller than the original subfloor, so back to the pumpkin store for a belt sander (Ryobi corded). That's where I am today -- ripping out old wood flooring and smoothing that surface and the margins of the repair to prep for the new vinyl plank stuff. After about 50 hours of actual thinking and tinkering, I should be walking on new floor from the rear bedroom to the entry door this weekend.

The job is clean enough that I can live in the bus while the repairs are in progress.

The takeaway is that most of your damage will be hidden, and that most of your effort will be problemsolving -- figuring out what you need to do and how to get it done. The work itself (aside from tipping the slide, if needed) needs only basic skills and the ability to make square plunge cuts, freehand. I would not invest in cheap tools for this job, and I wouldn't rush it.

Good luck!
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:40 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Roadkyll!!
I’m hoping it does not go back to the slide out but it may very well go that far. I bought the coach at about 2k under book because of this issue. I think I can fix it and put down new floor though out for that amount. It’s really the only major issue it has that I know of. The outside fibreglass is dull and stained like most it’s age. Hoping I can find something that will clean it. If not my son own a graphics shop and we will wrap it this spring when he has time.
Thanks for your post!
Brasher801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:32 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasher801 View Post
How do I send a PM? I can’t figure out how.
On the left side of my post, click on my name, "super_rep". A window will open and select "Send a Private Message".
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco