Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2013, 06:19 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Cool

I will be replacing my front shocks in the next 3 mo. I have searched, but unable to come up with a price for each shock. I can purchase new Monroe's http://http://www.justsuspension.com...ck-557034.html for $52 each. The ones on my MH now are 13 yrs. old and they are Monroe's. Is it worth extra money to install Koni's, Blisten's or these new shocks? Last price I got on Koni's are $185 each. I can put 3 1/2 Monroe's on for 1 Koni.
roscoesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #16
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoesdad View Post
I will be replacing my front shocks in the next 3 mo. I have searched, but unable to come up with a price for each shock. I can purchase new Monroe's http://http://www.justsuspension.com...ck-557034.html for $52 each. The ones on my MH now are 13 yrs. old and they are Monroe's. Is it worth extra money to install Koni's, Blisten's or these new shocks? Last price I got on Koni's are $185 each. I can put 3 1/2 Monroe's on for 1 Koni.
I will say this concerning shocks, the Monroe shock is not in the same league as the Bilstien or Konis. I will also say, an incorrectly valved shock regardless of the quality of components is not worth the effort spent to change.
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
I can put 3 1/2 Monroe's on for 1 Koni.
You also get the very same ratio (or worse) in mileage before you have to change the shocks again. I blew out a set of new replacement Monroe RV Magnum shocks in 36,000 miles.

The Source Platinum shocks are not all the same SKU. They are valved differently and the shocks that Source Engineering has are specifically valved for each Roadmaster application. Given your year, make and model Jim can match you up to a good set of shocks.

Koni also makes a nice shock for that application as well called and FSD for the Roadmaster Chassis. Many owners here have had good results with them. Mike at Redlands or Jon at Brazel's would be able to recommend a solution there.

One shock is made in Germany and an other made in Holland. (as best as I can remember) and they are both quality units. Each is guaranteed for life so if one starts leaking they will replace it.

Other shocks that are made for large RV applications are made by Sachs and Gabriel.

I'm not sure how Road King is doing lately since there aren't very many active discussions about the shock but at $500.00 each I understand that you do get a lot of shock for that investment. On a Roadmaster (if they make them) I believe that you need 8 of these things ...
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDL View Post
I will say this concerning shocks, the Monroe shock is not in the same league as the Bilstien or Konis. I will also say, an incorrectly valved shock regardless of the quality of components is not worth the effort spent to change.
Darin,

Thanks for the quick reply, here and to my PM. I am trying to decide if it is worth $$1,352 vs $416 (front). I have no problem removing and re-installing the shocks as all I have is time. If it takes all day, all week, or all month (no problem). I also doubt I will own the MH 2 yrs. from now. The value will not be recouped in re-sale of the MH. My plan is to remove all the shocks from the front. Test each shock removed and decide if it is un-usuable. If so, I will decide at that time about re-placing the un-usuable ones or all of them.

Larry
Old 01-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
You also get the very same ratio (or worse) in mileage before you have to change the shocks again. I blew out a set of new replacement Monroe RV Magnum shocks in 36,000 miles.

The Source Platinum shocks are not all the same SKU. They are valved differently and the shocks that Source Engineering has are specifically valved for each Roadmaster application. Given your year, make and model Jim can match you up to a good set of shocks.

Koni also makes a nice shock for that application as well called and FSD for the Roadmaster Chassis. Many owners here have had good results with them. Mike at Redlands or Jon at Brazel's would be able to recommend a solution there.

One shock is made in Germany and an other made in Holland. (as best as I can remember) and they are both quality units. Each is guaranteed for life so if one starts leaking they will replace it.

Other shocks that are made for large RV applications are made by Sachs and Gabriel.

I'm not sure how Road King is doing lately since there aren't very many active discussions about the shock but at $500.00 each I understand that you do get a lot of shock for that investment. On a Roadmaster (if they make them) I believe that you need 8 of these things ...
I do appreciate the info. If I put 36,000 miles on this MH, it will be unusual. I have owned it 3 yrs. and put 6,000 on it. I doubt I will own it 2 yrs. from now so 12,000 miles will be realistic for me. Also, the Monroe shocks are guarenteed for life.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
I do appreciate the info. If I put 36,000 miles on this MH, it will be unusual. I have owned it 3 yrs. and put 6,000 on it. I doubt I will own it 2 yrs. from now so 12,000 miles will be realistic for me. Also, the Monroe shocks are guarenteed for life.
I am only looking to add levity to the topic but did you ever see the movie "Tommy Boy" where he talks about the warranty on auto parts .... indeed funny but true!
Old 01-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I am only looking to add levity to the topic but did you ever see the movie "Tommy Boy" where he talks about the warranty on auto parts .... indeed funny but true!
No, never saw the movie but I made my living as a mechanic from 1968 to 1984. I have installed many Monroe shocks. They are still in business so they must be doing something right. I agree, the higher price brands are probably better. That's why they cost more. Kind of like driving a Mercedes or a Kia. You pay your money and you takes your choice.

Would love to hear from somebody that installed Monroe shocks, used them for 12,000 miles or less, hated them so bad they removed them, and installed the high priced shocks.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
That's why they cost more. Kind of like driving a Mercedes or a Kia. You pay your money and you takes your choice.
You know then full well as a mechanic (I was a heavy equipment mechanic) regardless if you are getting paid or not, that time is money and effort on your part therefore approaching this from the "Holmes" ethic, do it right the 1st time. It's not the how many miles but the quality of those miles that you will care about after the install. **(unless your installing a part to sell the unit ... for sure, go lowball and get out)
Old 01-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
You know then full well as a mechanic (I was a heavy equipment mechanic) regardless if you are getting paid or not, that time is money and effort on your part therefore approaching this from the "Holmes" ethic, do it right the 1st time. It's not the how many miles but the quality of those miles that you will care about after the install. **(unless your installing a part to sell the unit ... for sure, go lowball and get out)
This has been a good discussion. Before I get seperated from my money, I will have to be convinced that installing the cheap shocks, is detrimental to my MH or my health. Since Monroe's have been on it for 8 yrs. and 26,000 mile (total on MH), I don't think it is detrimental to my MH. I would have never considered replacing the originals had it not been for a aligment shop that wanted to install front ones for $885. I quickly declined and will research further before I invest in either.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #24
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I don't think it is detrimental to my MH. I would have never considered replacing the originals had it not been for a aligment shop that wanted to install front ones for $885. I quickly declined and will research further before I invest in either.
Ouch! What brand were they recommending?
Old 01-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDL View Post
Ouch! What brand were they recommending?
It was Josam in Orlando. They only install Koni. I have no problem with the alignment. They do lazar alignment of front and rear. They found caster off, toe-in off front , align rear end, check ride height. They do a complete analysis, give you a before and after printout. They found upper bushings worn on shocks and said 1 of the shocks was leaking (was not listed on report, was told verbally). As I said before, I will remove all front shocks and determine the condition of each one. I may just need bushings.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #26
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Update

I put the Source Platinum shocks on the coach on Friday. My old Billsteins left rubber on the upper studs. Had that not been the case, I would have had all 8 changed in 2 hours, instead it took about 4.

The ride is night an day difference, I did a 600 mile trip to the beach for the weekend and it was a much better ride on our great roads in LA.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #27

I found something that may be of help. It is said if shocks are good after a trip on the road, if the shock is working it will be hot as the oil travels from end to end when it works. If the shock remains cold at the end of a drive it is not working. Not sure if this is true but is food for thought.
Rebel
rebelcarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:34 AM   #28
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelcarm View Post
I found something that may be of help. It is said if shocks are good after a trip on the road, if the shock is working it will be hot as the oil travels from end to end when it works. If the shock remains cold at the end of a drive it is not working. Not sure if this is true but is food for thought.
Rebel
If a shock is cold at the end of a run it is definately not doing any dampening. There is no valve flow restriction going on.

Just because it is warm or hot does not mean it is doing correct dampening.

I do custom work on offroad suspensions, they all get hot regardless of the performance achieved.

Tags
shocks