Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2017, 08:10 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Southco door pull-release catches - any alternatives?

My coach uses the Southco "pull-release" door catches in several places. On the sliding double door for the bedroom closet, there are two catches (top and bottom) on each slider door. These catches are always breaking the plastic "J-Hook".

Is there anything available that is a little stronger? Maybe something made out of metal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Southco latches.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	183308  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2017, 09:05 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same problem, went through a handful of strikers in the first year. I ended up making 4 strikers out of aluminum and haven't had a problem since and that was 4 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5012.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	183315  
Old 11-19-2017, 09:22 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I ended up with bolt locks on the bottom to keep them closed.Click image for larger version

Name:	1511108548594.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	183317
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:24 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I just looked at mine. I only have one catch at the middle of each door. As hard as the doors move, I probably don’t even need those. Curious if yours are breaking being opened or closed.

I have the Southcos all over my coach and only one has broken, due to getting out of alignment and slamming it shut. I’m not aware of anything like these that are stronger or made of metal.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:46 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
I had the same problem, went through a handful of strikers in the first year. I ended up making 4 strikers out of aluminum and haven't had a problem since and that was 4 years ago.
Those aluminum J-Hooks are great. Make a few more and you can start a side business. I'll be your first customer.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:28 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I used magnets scavenged from old hard disk drives to hold some doors closed on the Winnebago, and will probably do the same with some on the Ambassador too.

The Winnebago was a complete success too, took about 10 minutes per door to fit the magnets.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:53 PM   #7

Check amazon , there are dual ball latches in varying sizes that are adjustable for hold after mounting, you adust with flat screwdriver. The opposing balls in the female accept the male pine tree shape. Great adjustability for your needs. Dave
Old 11-20-2017, 02:40 AM   #8

On mine the springs in the female part were waaaay too strong.
What I did was to pop out the internal part in the female latch and cut off
a couple of wraps of the spring and pop it back in. Much less stress on the latch and it opens and closes much easier.
You can pop them open without removing them, take out the spring, cut it and replace.

Worked for me.......YMMV.
Thanks, Iver.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:03 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I ordered a couple of the 3LB and 5LB pull latches off Amazon. I'm not sure how much "holding power" I need. I think the current ones are 10LB pull each which, IMO, require to much effort to open the closet sliders/doors. If these break or are too weak I'll look into the ball-catch style next.
Thanks for the ideas.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:32 AM   #10

I had a problem with the 3 Lb Southco catch on the dash storage drawer on the rough roads of new York and Canada. Tried the 5 lb version but the drawer would still pop open. Finally used a pair of 10 lb Southco catches and the drawer stays closed but it does need a little more pull to open.

So there at 3 lb, 5 lb, and 10 lb Southco catches on Amazon. With the choice of holding power, alignment might be your problem, especially if there are two.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:59 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, Amazon has them.
They are expensive ($5 to $6 each, depending on how many you buy). It's the J-hook part that is breaking though.

I have a bunch of 10LB catches and had to order some j-hooks. But I thought it may be the 10LB catch that is the reason for the breakage. it takes a good yank to get the doors moving. I'll double check alignment when I install the new parts.

BTW, nwrvsupply.com is the only place I've found that sells the J-hook separately ($2 each). They sell the "large" J-hook. My closet sliders use a smaller j-hook, but it looks like the large will work too, so I'm switching to those. Actually, that switch may solve the problem.

Tags
cat, door