Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2018, 05:43 PM   #1

Spartan won't start

Hello I'm new here so I hope I'm doing this right.
I have a 1995 Holiday Rambler motorhome with a 300 Cummings Diesel. when I turn the key to start the motor nothing happens if I wait a few seconds I can hear something engaging and then I turn the key and the motor tries to start but only turns the motor slightly before disengaging it's like the starter is snapping disengaging engaging disengaging engaging. All cables going to starter look good.
Does anybody know where the celenoid is and what it looks like.
Thank you
Printman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2018, 06:05 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Have you tried directly jumping the contacts on the starter solenoid? Perhaps your Bendix is bad and not allowing the starter to engage the flywheel. There is a fuel solenoid that shuts off fuel flow and if it's bad, your engine would crank but with no fuel flow it wouldn't start. If you look up Cummins you'll find information on your engine. It's not a 'Cummings'. A not uncommon error.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:47 PM   #3

Did you confirm batteries are fully charged.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:50 AM   #4

hello I should have mentioned this before this started in June when you turn the key it would not start in the starter position. I was holding the key on while my nephew was crawling around checking out the wires and all of a sudden it started to start after 2 minutes of being left on in the start position. but if you try to start it early it would be like you're turning the key on and off on and off very quickly no the starter Bendix works good batteries are all up to par, I can hardwire the starter with a pair of jumper cables and started right up but not from the key.
I'm thinking it might be the slave solenoid I haven't located yet. Does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram for this bus thank you
Old 11-06-2018, 06:19 AM   #5

Your symptoms sound like dirty, loose battery or ground cables.

While holding the key to start, the faulty connection gets hot and arcs, making a good connection.

Remove and clean all of the battery connections. Looking at them and thinking that are clean doesn't tell the whole story.

After a start attempt, feel the connections for a warm one. That's a bad one.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:26 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Your symptoms sound like dirty, loose battery or ground cables.

While holding the key to start, the faulty connection gets hot and arcs, making a good connection.

Remove and clean all of the battery connections. Looking at them and thinking that are clean doesn't tell the whole story.

After a start attempt, feel the connections for a warm one. That's a bad one.
What he said.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:57 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I would not recommend jumping the solenoid - as OP does not sound very mechanically inclined. That (starter) is a high amperage system and you can get hurt messing with it. And you would be by-passing all safety devices.

I would recommend starting troubleshooting by putting a 12V test light on the "S" terminal of the starter solenoid and see if you are getting power when the key is turned to crank position.

Many of these coaches have a second starter solenoid (in addition to the one mounted on the starter body) located near the starter on the frame or coach body. Also the ignition key itself may be going bad. This is a common problem.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:40 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I'm definitely not a mechanic so can't help with that. Just noticed that you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:48 PM   #9

Thank you all for replying now I've checked everything all you have mentioned. I have read some other posts and I'm looking for the slave solenoid and I was wondering if anyone can identify some of these components in these photos actually all of them
The first two are the back side and the front side.
The next photo I believe has to do with the batteries in the charging system not my starting system.
last photo I'm trying to locate the box that has the relay for the negative ground neutral switch and starter switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181108_145744.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	225337   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181108_134854.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	225338  

Name:	IMG_20181108_145208.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	326.4 KB
ID:	225339   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181108_144950.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	225340  

Old 11-08-2018, 01:49 PM   #10

Sorry slave solenoid.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:09 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
The first picture looks like the Trombetta 784 solenoid which is connected to a high amperage circuit breaker (the red button on the back is the breaker reset button).
http://www.trombetta.com/images/pdfs...y-784-xxxx.pdf

http://www.trombetta.com/images/pdfs...ed-install.pdf

The middle picture looks like your Chassis power distribution box. Where the two copper bus bars feed other chassis circuit and circuit breakers. I was thinking those Copper bus bars might be the backside of AGM fuses - but i'm not sure. Can you get a picture of it at a different angle?.

The last picture looks like the Allison Transmission VIM (Vehicle Interface Module)
Old 11-08-2018, 04:32 PM   #12

More photos

I'm still looking for that black box that has the relays in them for the neutral switch on the transmission and the key switch to the slave solenoid.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20181108_145015.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	225355   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181108_145007.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	225356  

Name:	IMG_20181108_145027.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	225357  
Old 11-08-2018, 04:39 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
The box with "Motorcraft" on it is the Keyless Entry electronics.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcraft-...-/120991252784

In the bottom photo, the silver box on the left is the "HWH Leveling" system control box.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:47 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Printman View Post
I'm still looking for that black box that has the relays in them for the neutral switch on the transmission and the key switch to the slave solenoid.
That is the box in your previous post (bottom photo) that says "Allison"on it. It has fuses and relays in it, although I don't know if any of them are for neutral switch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Allison ECU and VIM pics.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	225358  

Tags
spartan