Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2015, 01:58 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Cool Starter circuit problem

I've got a problem starting my 2002 Monaco Windsor 40PWD. All expected dash lights and sounds work when I turn the key. However, the starter is not getting the signal.

I have tested both IGN relays in the front drivers side compartment as well as all of the fuses in that compartment. I also tested the IGN relay in the back passenger compartment for functionality. I also tested the starter solenoid behind the bed. I'm not getting a voltage on the control signal when the key is turned, and subsequently, no voltage is being sent to the starter.

A truck service was able to get it started by jumping the starter connection, for what it's worth. I'm not 100% sure if he jumped the control signal or just the starter motor, but since I'm not seeing a voltage to trigger the solenoid, I don't think the starter itself is in the equation at this point.

Is there another component that I should check between the key turn and the starter solenoid in the back bedroom?

Lastly, I was poking around in the front compartment and found an unlabeled relay in the big black box. It doesn't function. It's a Hamsar 42-006 5 pole relay. It is also very strange because pole 85 (usually +12v on other relays) doesn't have a wire connected to the harness! Quite perplexing to a novice like myself.

Any and all advice is very appreciated.
monacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2015, 02:17 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Windsor starter circuit.

I have a 96 Windsor that had this same problem. Yours is probably different but here is what I found.
There is a 12 volt feed off of one of the chassis batteries + post. It is about a #12 with an inline fuse in the line and ultimately feeds the circuit that engages the start relay.
On mine the inline fuse was placed in the line right over where the battery it was hooked to would be gassing during charging. The fuse and holder were so crudded up that the fuse could not be replaced and contact was totally lost.
I cut that wire out and installed a new wire routed away from the battery vents with the fuse further down stream and it practically started itself.
holycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:20 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by holycow View Post
I have a 96 Windsor that had this same problem. Yours is probably different but here is what I found.
There is a 12 volt feed off of one of the chassis batteries + post. It is about a #12 with an inline fuse in the line and ultimately feeds the circuit that engages the start relay.
On mine the inline fuse was placed in the line right over where the battery it was hooked to would be gassing during charging. The fuse and holder were so crudded up that the fuse could not be replaced and contact was totally lost.
I cut that wire out and installed a new wire routed away from the battery vents with the fuse further down stream and it practically started itself.
Thanks for sharing. Was the fuse in the battery bay? Or somewhere under the coach?
monacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:54 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
In the battery bay running right over the top of the batteries. The gasses from charging corroded it.
holycow is offline   Reply With Quote