Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2018, 05:00 PM   #1

Starting Battery

The last two times I have tried to start our coach the starting battery had no power to turn the engine over. Since our coach is stored without shore power hooked up the battery can start getting weak over time. The battery is at least two years old and who knows when it was replaced before since the install date is missing. My starting battery is a 8D type. Is there a better setup or should I replace it with the same type?
Rich
mabel2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2018, 05:10 PM   #2

Just replaced my Group 31 starting batteries with new from the CAT dealer. Sticker on the old batteries had a date of 2012; So 5 years +, that's pretty good. No power to charge batteries while in storage (except for generator). CAT dealer charged $130 ea. Not out of line, so I went for it.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:21 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
8D vs. a pair of group 31. About the same cost. Plus some additional cables needed and battery hold down mechanism. I'd just stay with the 8D.

Sams Club has an 8D for under $200.00.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:34 PM   #4

A good fully charged battery will loose about 5% charge per month. If the battery is not disconnected , there will be a constant small draw that will discharge the battery over time. An older battery will have less capacity ,so this draw could easily run the battery down. You should be able to get at least 6 yrs from a battery.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:41 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My rig is supposed to have two 8D starting batteries according to the factory spec's but actually has four 925 CCA batteries. Even that is marginal at times. Luckily I can keep mine plugged in all the time at home.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:36 AM   #6

Rich,

You don't say how old your batteries are (more info is always helpful). I have discharged my starters several times and they recovered - I just replaced them after 9 years.

Just because they are flat doesn't mean they are done. Now, your circumstances are everything - at the side of the road is different than in your driveway with no immediate plans to hit the road. If you have the time, pull them and put a charge on them one at a time, then test them.

You can do a load test on them once they are charged by putting a volt meter on them and turn the starter. You should see 12 plus volts before you hit the starter and above 11 with the engine cranking.

I just replaced mine because they showed 12 V on the meter until I turned the ignition to "On" (not even engaging the starter) and the voltage dropped to 7 V.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:46 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced my starting batteries after 10 years ( 2 X 12 v ) For the last 6 years I was storing the MH outside in canada, but before storing I made sure that all the batteries were fully charged, then I unplugged the ground of each batteries. 6 months later in spring, connected all the grounds, I first started the generator, in case there was a problem, ran it for approx 30 minutes, then started the engine ( Cummins 8.9 l) the engine started after cranking it for approx. 15 secs.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacmat View Post
I replaced my starting batteries after 10 years ( 2 X 12 v ) For the last 6 years I was storing the MH outside in canada, but before storing I made sure that all the batteries were fully charged, then I unplugged the ground of each batteries. 6 months later in spring, connected all the grounds, I first started the generator, in case there was a problem, ran it for approx 30 minutes, then started the engine ( Cummins 8.9 l) the engine started after cranking it for approx. 15 secs.
I store mine outside in Canada (Alberta where - 20 F is not unusual) and all I do is flip the cut off switches. Mine were 9 1/2 years old when I replaced them, and I all I did when I go to the coach was run the AquaHot (off the coach batteries) to pre-heat the engine, and then start it.

Pre-heating the engine made a big difference, but when the engine was at -20 it took almost an hour to reach 50 F before I'd start it.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
Rich,

You don't say how old your batteries are (more info is always helpful). I have discharged my starters several times and they recovered - I just replaced them after 9 years.

Just because they are flat doesn't mean they are done. Now, your circumstances are everything - at the side of the road is different than in your driveway with no immediate plans to hit the road. If you have the time, pull them and put a charge on them one at a time, then test them.

You can do a load test on them once they are charged by putting a volt meter on them and turn the starter. You should see 12 plus volts before you hit the starter and above 11 with the engine cranking.

I just replaced mine because they showed 12 V on the meter until I turned the ignition to "On" (not even engaging the starter) and the voltage dropped to 7 V.
Ya might want to re-think that min 11.0 vdc while cranking or you will be throwing away perfectly good batteries.

9.4 - 9.5 vdc ( temp dependent ) while cranking and also while carbon pile loading to 1/2 the CCA rating on a fully charged known good battery.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
Ya might want to re-think that min 11.0 vdc while cranking or you will be throwing away perfectly good batteries.

9.4 - 9.5 vdc ( temp dependent ) while cranking and also while carbon pile loading to 1/2 the CCA rating on a fully charged known good battery.
Fair enough, didn't mean it as a rule, what really matters is it is cranking fast enough. Usually in the 11v range.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:00 PM   #11

1. The OP needs to test the batteries so that he knows the actual condition of the batteries...and not guess ..and not be replacing good batteries.

2. He also needs to know the parasitic draw on the batteries...... I m sure that it will be excessive just because of all the systems used in these coachs.

The situation he is in, storage with no access to power put him in a bind for sure .....he needs to perhaps get a solar set up and battery maintainer that can keep up with the parasitic current draws in the coach,

or maybe ...and certainly what i dont particularly care for is install a main battery switch cut off at the chassis batteries. ( but works )

Cycling the start batteries will send then to early grave for sure.

Test don't guess it will be far cheaper and you will get the desired results.

On the road again .....adios.

Happy Trails
Old 03-19-2018, 04:22 PM   #12

What RobRoy said is the same as my coach. I have such a voltage drop my generator will
shut down.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery