Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2015, 09:18 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Starting problem, won't turn over

Silly me left a USB device plugged in to the dash over many days and it pulled the engine batteries down. Realized the issue when went to run the engine during a couple week parking and while the dash would light up, nothing happened when attempting to actually start. Not sure the age of the batteries as they came with the coach (2003 Monaco Dynasty that we've owned now almost a year). Dash gauge showed volts down around 10 1/2.

Ran the generator, used the battery boost switch, got the engine batteries back up up to show 12 on the dash gauge, even ran a jumper cable from an SUV to the engine batteries but still nothing on the engine, even after trying the rear engine start switch.

Coach does have a Viper alarm system. Can't confirm or deny that it has the ignition cut out module added yet.

Wouldn't I at least get a clicking noise or something from the starter even if there wasn't quite enough juice to fully roll the engine over a couple of times to start?

I've pulled the batteries to replace since they look older to begin with but thinking I have an issue someplace else now as a result of the batteries going so low.

I would swear the alarm only beeped once when turning it on before this battery issue and now I get a beep, couple second delay, another beep (ie something is amiss with it now).

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2015, 08:41 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Replaced the batteries, still nothing.

Have the alarm out but not sure what to do with it. Of course I'm not finding a manual for a Viper 500 ESP.

Another thing that did happen was I did run the fuel tank down to where the generator wouldn't stay running. Have since refueled via can and generator is fine. Would have that triggered anything engine related?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4799.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	100253  
Old 07-15-2015, 08:53 PM   #3

Running the generator low on fuel won't do anything to the engine as the engine fuel pickup is lower then the generators pickup. Turn your lights on and then try starting the
engine. If the lights go out your have a battery problem.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:04 PM   #4

I had that same type thing happen a few years back on a 2003 Fleetwood Expedition with the 5.9 Cumins. It started fine when I parked it, but a few days latter, it wouldn't do anything. Called Cumins to come to my house, and it was the ECM. Everything was fine after replacing it.
RPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:16 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Lights bright and shiny, power isn't an issue for sure now.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:29 AM   #6

Rob, with the ignition key in the on position go to the engine compartment and open the Rear Run Box and you will see a couple of black rocker switches. One will say front and rear and the other one will say start. Put the one in rear and then try the start one and see if the motor turns over. Let me know what happens.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:34 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the reply Mike. Did try that as well.... nothing from front ignition switch, nothing from rear switch either.

Got the alarm reset so that's out of the loop I believe if it was stuck.

Disconnected power house and engine batteries to make sure nothing stuck.

So thinking in solenoid, starter or god forbid the ECM
Old 07-16-2015, 09:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robisinwa View Post
Thanks for the reply Mike. Did try that as well.... nothing from front ignition switch, nothing from rear switch either.
Not sure about your coach and wiring, but on Freightliner and Spartan chassis, there are 5 fuses, supplying battery power to the Cummins ECM.
So I'm sure that would be a Cummins required set up, can you find and test all 5 fuses.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robisinwa View Post

Rob,

Just an off the wall thought, with the battery exchange, could the Allison not be in Neutral? Also, Check the compartment doors to make sure one of the lock out circuits isn't the problem. How about the dedicated ECM and TCM fuses in the battery compartment?

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:15 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Steve, good thought.... I did switch gears and take it back to neutral as well as release emergency brake and reset to confirm it wasn't an interlock of some sort there.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:57 AM   #11

Unless I am missing something the engine ECM will not stop the starter from turning over but the transmission TCM can by setting the neutral safety switch. One thing you said in your original post is that you pulled the batteries. Well if you did that then I would triple check that all the cables are hood up on the positive battery terminal most of the time there are at least two small positive cables hooked to the battery, one supplying power to the engine and one to the transmission. Also there should be a fuse in the Rear Run Box for the starter circuit. If you have Red, yellow and green LEDs in your Rear Run Box then turn on the ignition switch and check that all the Red LEDs on the start circuit are on. If one is off indicates a blown fuse.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:18 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Thinking about the ECM, if I'm getting the different statuses lighting up on the dash such as Wait to start, low coolant, etc, then the ECM is working fine wouldn't it be?

Confirmed all power cables are connected right. Issue was there before pulling batteries.

I'll look for some LEDS.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:43 PM   #13

Do you have those three color LEDs in your rear run box in the engine compartment?
Old 07-16-2015, 06:29 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I do not... many relays, not LEDS :(