Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #1

Starting the search

I have just begun my search for a RV that my wife and I will spend approximately 6 months or more a year in traveling around the country. I originally was leaning towards a 5th wheel as I liked the floor plans on some that I saw (NuWa, etc), but have recently started to realize some of the apparent benefits of a DP (mainly toad, drivability and ease of setup etc). I was wondering if anyone could give me their insights and advise on this matter from their experiences. Whatever I purchase will be used as I am on a budget. Also there are so many makes out there to choose from. As this is a Monaco forum I would like to ask "what makes Monaco special" in your opinion? Would you buy one again, and what models would be best suited for full timing. Thanks

Charles

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We own a 2003 Monaco Dynasty and love it. Yes, we would purchase another one. I like the air suspension, air leveling, stability and just about everything with the coach.

There are so many options and etc that to receive the best answers you probably need to provide us the price range you are wanting to hit!

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #3

Is there much difference in the quality of the finishes between the models? Also I live in Colorado and would these units be suitable for colder weather. I would like to keep my price range under $100,000. I would have no problem with an older unit.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If you are wanting to use the coach in colder weather then you need to look for a coach with the Aqua-Hot system. Aqua-Hot uses hot water to heat the coach. The hot water is heated by a diesel burner and the circulated around the coach to various heat "radiators" with fans blowing through them, just like a heater in a car. This is a very effective system but does add several thousand dollars to the price of a coach.

We purchased our 03 Dynasty about a year ago. It was a bank repo and needed some TLC. If you are handy with tools and not afraid to jump in the middle of a project then you can save some money. Just make sure the coach you purchase has good service records and is mechanically sound.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #5

I have been looking at older models to save money. It seems the older models don't have the slide outs that the newer ones have. I think slide outs add much to the live ability for full timing. It was one of the reasons I liked 5th wheel floor plans so much.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #6

What do you think separates Monaco from the rest?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Conejo Wholesale Auto & RV

Check them out I just Bought a 2002 Monaco Dynasty Barnoss Edition from them for $108k out the door wih only 14,253 Miles on LIKE NEW!!! ask for Jim tell him
Craig McDonald sent you!! 805-496-8700
Old 04-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capgrass View Post
What do you think separates Monaco from the rest?
Easy. At least as far as mine and any Monaco's I'd consider owning.
The 8 air bag Roadmaster chassis.

Where all other motorhomes (that I know of) have the axles hung by 2 trailing arms, with the air bags and shocks inboard of the tires, the 8 bag roadmaster has each axle bolted to a giant H member, with an air bag and shock directly in front of and behind each tire, all the way out at the corners. IMHO this gives the chassis a much better ride, better stability, and less sway. This chassis doesn't come with antisway bars from the factory, they were not considered to be needed.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #9

Desk Area?

One reason I started looking originally at 5th wheels was I do some business and stock trading and it seems there is a very limited amount of floor plans with a desk area. How do you guys carry on any business?
Old 04-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #10

I have an 05 dynasty diamond iv that has a full computer desk with file cabinet option in place of the sofa just behind the drivers seat. The original owner specs called for this option as he had a business at home that he had to keep up with while on vacation. He also optioned the in motion satellite system, residential refrigerator, stacked washer dryer (220V), he could actually wash and dry clothes while traveling down the road. He told me he like to go out west and since his time was limited, his wife would drive some and allow him to keep up with the business. They lost very little time in traveling. I personally don't use all the options he had in the coach but it is very nice having that computer office setup and the res. refrig and washer dryer. Also the 10 bag air suspension with tag axle makes driving a dream, very little buffeting and no wandering all over the road with the tag axle. I have run into no problems with state parks either and can actually get the coach into places I had trouble getting my 36' fifth wheel into. I just raise the tag it makes it very easy to park. I have been very pleased with Monaco products still recommend them to friends. I have some pics here and you can see the computer desk setup. P1020053-1.jpg picture by barlow46 - Photobucket

Password to view album is: dynasty