Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2012, 06:32 AM   #29

just returned from a 4000 mile trip to sd and steer safe worked as promised it was really appreciated with the winds we encountered hopefully i never get to test the blowout results
boweavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #30
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We just got back from a 6000 mile trip out west, and passed within 50 miles of Deming. I wanted to go by and get one installed, but the message on the answering machine said he was at an RV rally. I plan to order and install them myself. Has anyone installed them on a 2002 Monaco Windsor with the Roadmaster chassis?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #31

I have one and love it. It really helps return to center...
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:53 AM   #32

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We just got back from a 6000 mile trip out west, and passed within 50 miles of Deming. I wanted to go by and get one installed, but the message on the answering machine said he was at an RV rally. I plan to order and install them myself. Has anyone installed them on a 2002 Monaco Windsor with the Roadmaster chassis?
You've had a nice trip with your new to you motorcoach. How did it handle?

I think your coach takes the same Steer Safe unit as mine, but here's what I believe they are going to want from you. There should be a metal tag fastened to the center front of your front axle. That tag has axle model#, serial#, etc. With that information, the folks at Deming can supply you with the right Steer Safe unit.

I found installation to be quite easy. I have a little advantage in that I have a cement floor to work on. The trick is to line the coach up so that you drive straight forward several feet to make sure the steering wheel is in the straight ahead position. I verified this by using a tape measure between the front and rear of each front tire to the frame. After that, it was simply bolt the pieces on as per the included instructions.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #33
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
You've had a nice trip with your new to you motorcoach. How did it handle?

I think your coach takes the same Steer Safe unit as mine, but here's what I believe they are going to want from you. There should be a metal tag fastened to the center front of your front axle. That tag has axle model#, serial#, etc. With that information, the folks at Deming can supply you with the right Steer Safe unit.

I found installation to be quite easy. I have a little advantage in that I have a cement floor to work on. The trick is to line the coach up so that you drive straight forward several feet to make sure the steering wheel is in the straight ahead position. I verified this by using a tape measure between the front and rear of each front tire to the frame. After that, it was simply bolt the pieces on as per the included instructions.
Hi Jim! The coach was very stable, even in the high crosswinds out west. I didn't realize that you had to go through the "getting the wheels straight ahead" thing. What happens if you're a little off? I'm gonna give them a call this week and discuss it further. I just want them for the blowout protection.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:08 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
I have one and love it. It really helps return to center...
Do you have a solid front axle or IFS? Does it help the steering/control with the 18 wheeler passes and cross winds?
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:53 AM   #35

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi Jim! The coach was very stable, even in the high crosswinds out west. I didn't realize that you had to go through the "getting the wheels straight ahead" thing. What happens if you're a little off? I'm gonna give them a call this week and discuss it further. I just want them for the blowout protection.
If you're a little off, the Steer Safe springs will be set 'on center' with the front wheels a little off center, so the Steer Safe will be trying to move you a little off center all the time. In other words, the steering will be pulling a little to the right or to the left. This means you'll have to make some adjustments to get things set up right.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had to remove mine, it wore out the Pitman arm idler and the steering relay prematurely.
garyspang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:49 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip0 View Post
I don't have one but I'm thinking about the Safe T Plus
Steering Controls for RV's, Trucks, Buses | Safe-T-Plus Steering Control
Great product, and easy to install yourself.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:24 AM   #38

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyspang View Post
Had to remove mine, it wore out the Pitman arm idler and the steering relay prematurely.
That's interesting. I thought that one advantage of adding the Steer Safe unit was that it would reduce, not increase the stress on the steering components.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
With the Safe-T-Plus and Henderson's Steer "correction" unit you are GOOD to go. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #40
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyspang View Post

I called Mike at Steer Safe and asked him about this. He says that this is not possible, that someone gave you incorrect information. You might want to call him about it. Good luck!
Old 06-17-2016, 05:38 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Papa Jim, I realize this thread is old, but have to ask what part# did you order as we both have '95 36' Dynasty's.

Thanks, Steve
reride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:43 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
are these good for a class C??