RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2010, 10:07 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Steer Safe for Monaco RR8R Chassis

I am considering purchasing a Steer Safe unit for my 2007 Monaco Knight motor home. My wife drives the coach probably more than I. She had a front blow out on our previous 1999 Monaco LaPalma. She said it was a lot to handle before she got the coach to the side of the road. If I had the money I would probably go with the Blue Ox Tru-center, however the coach seems to be driving fine and I'm just concerned when she drives. The Steer Safe is about $389 plus $90 for installation. The Tru center would be over $1000 installed. Has anyone had a Steer Safe unit installed on their coach? If so, would you provide some feedback? I appreciate your inputs. Thanks

chiefdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2010, 10:28 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Need two units?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefdave View Post
I am considering purchasing a Steer Safe unit for my 2007 Monaco Knight motor home. My wife drives the coach probably more than I. She had a front blow out on our previous 1999 Monaco LaPalma. She said it was a lot to handle before she got the coach to the side of the road. If I had the money I would probably go with the Blue Ox Tru-center, however the coach seems to be driving fine and I'm just concerned when she drives. The Steer Safe is about $389 plus $90 for installation. The Tru center would be over $1000 installed. Has anyone had a Steer Safe unit installed on their coach? If so, would you provide some feedback? I appreciate your inputs. Thanks
I don't have it on my coach, but I had asked someone about it once and was told that a unit on each end of the axle was needed. If that's true, that doubles the cost. That's something to check out, I'm not sure if I was given the right info. Joe

Old 03-07-2010, 11:17 AM   #3

I don't think Steer Safe makes a unit for the Roadmaster chassis
Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm pretty sure Steer Safe can be put onto a Monaco. I've read other threads from people with Steer Safe on their Monaco coaches, and other brand large Class A coaches. I'm getting ready to order one for ours. The price quoted is for the complete system. They need the axle # and make. It's on a tag affixed to the front of the axle.

Jim Sanderson
1995 Monaco Dynasty 36'
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #5

OK, you're right and I am wrong. I went back to my own link and found, down in the red print at the bottom:::
Quote:
ATTENTION: We fit larger axles such as Spartan, Magnum, Country Coach, Gillig, Monaco, Bluebird, Newell and crown coaches. Please have year, make & axle model number ready for correct fit. **SPECIAL NOTE**If any doubt, please call 800 number provided above. We guarantee Steer Safe for the life of the vehicle under one ownership, excluding labor and shipping
Sorry about the misinformation.
Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:07 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

ChiefDave, I had a SteerSafe on my previous MH with a Frieghtliner chassis. I installed it myself in a about and hour. The instruction were good and easy to follow. After a day of driving I checked all the bolts for tightness. I never had a blowout in the front with it installed but it was a good peace of mind especially when my wife was driving. There was a noticable difference in high crosswinds. The MH did not move around as much especially when that 18 wheeler sneaks up alongside you.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Chief, Doc Settles here.. I've had SteerSafe and it works just fine...a good investment if you can get it...Give 'em a call direct...of course Camping World should possibly have it in stock and can install if needed. I'm having SteerSafe added to my Monaco Knight pusher....big difference when you're getting passed on the drivers side by huge truckers...
DocUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:21 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
A friend with a 42ft Camelot had the Blue Ox Tru-Center installed and eventually removed it. He got tired of always having to reset the center so he installed a Saf-T-Steer. He did have a front blowout with the Saf-T-Steer installed and it made all the difference. Easy to stop and pull out of harms way. And, the coach tracks much better especially in side winds.

He offered the Tru-Center to me for free but I bought the Saf-T-Plus instead. I like the simple mechanical effectiveness of it. I will be installing it next week and be able to give a better description of how it installed and how it worked.

== John
'09 Camelot 42KFQ
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:34 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Boy that’s a real conglomeration of Iron, Clamps, Springs, Nuts and Bolts hanging on both axle ends. I looked into this kind of stuff and ended up with the Safe-T-Plus. Neat clean installation. Everyone has their own opinions, but I’m happy with the Safe-T-Plus.
There is a pic of it installed on the Monaco in the folder below in “Making it Ours”
Old 03-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had the Safe-T-Plus for about 11,000 miles and was never really happy with it. It took quite a while to finally get it centered and, after it was adjusted correctly, still wandered and was buffeted significantly by the passing big rigs. We got a chance to have the SteerSafe put on at an FMCA Rally (money back guaranteed) and have been amazed at the difference it made in handling. My wife, who drove reluctantly before, now can't wait for her turn behind the wheel!
AkTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:22 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thumbs up

Finished installation of Blue Tru-Center and headed out to Florida last weekend... the hype is right... ugly X-winds Mobile to Tallahassee and it was a "breeze" It was responsive to those wonderful wind rows where the breeze suddenly stops and starts again !! Returning to center is a chore.... but a pleasant one. Anti-parking lot wheel kick is pleasantly dampened. I will continue to watch tire pressure so I never have to comment on the blown tire aspects... (I know, power ON, steering to safety) Worth the cost, your call...
noladiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:04 PM   #12

Bought new 2008 Holiday Rambler Neptune 37 PDQ in September. After driving about 2000 miles we installed Steer-Safe before 500 mile trip to Jekyl Island, Ga. for New Years Bluegrass Festival. Made traveling I-95 as pleasant as possible. Had a stroke 7 years ago and right arm tires quicker than left. Steer-Safe has made traveling more a pleasure than a chore.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #13

On our first trip with our new 2008 Diplomat we encountered uneven highway surfaces and high winds. The coach wallowed on uneven payment due to the OEM Monroe shocks. The steering seemed to have more play than it should from the get go and got worse as the wind increased. When we returned home I had the coach aligned and the suspension height checked, both were within acceptable tolerances, therefore I knew that it was as good as it was going to get without modification. I had the shocks changed to Bilsteins and added a Safe-T-Plus. Problem solved, remarkable improvement to saftey and handling. If you add a steering aid and still have concerns I would strongly recommend you consider changing your shocks, we replaced ours at only 5000 miles, once removed I could retract and compress by hand with little or no resistance. It was almost criminal that they had been installed in the first place.

BHEMOTH is offline   Reply With Quote