Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2015, 03:19 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to rwdrummer
Steering

Howdy folks,
I was thinking about installing the Safe-T-Plus on our 2011 Monaco Knight and thought there would be some of you out there that had installed it or maybe just had an opinion on that. I have some pulling to the right and thought it might correct it or an alignment might be the cure.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2015, 03:26 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If your coach is pulling to the right, an alignment is needed.

I think it is a good idea to use a steering stabilizer to reduce driver fatigue and as an aid in the event of a tire blow out.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 03:38 PM   #3
YC1

Have you read through these posts?

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/mona...on-249622.html

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 04:08 PM   #4

If it is pulling to one side you need to have it corrected BEFORE you add any steering stabilizer or any other mods to the steering.
When was the last time it had an alignment? That would be the first thing I would have done.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:22 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have the Safe - T - Plus the Henderson's "adjuster". Both work together GREAT. P. S. change out your Sheppard Steering Box for a TRW one.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:27 PM   #6

I'm looking around for a transit bus or big rig service center for an alignment without being ripped off.
This is our 3rd coach and have never had to do an alignment so here we go!!
Old 12-30-2015, 04:36 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdrummer View Post
I'm looking around for a transit bus or big rig service center for an alignment without being ripped off.
This is our 3rd coach and have never had to do an alignment so here we go!!
Don't know your name so will just call you drummer.

Drummer, if you can make it over to Orlando that would be your best bet for any alignment or chassis issues with a Monaco coach. The name of the company is Josams.
Home

Josam Truck Frame & Alignment Orlando, FL, 32809 - YP.com

Please don't do anything to your coach until you get the pulling issue taken care of. I am sure you have checked the air pressure in all the tires but don't overlook that. Unbalanced air pressure in the front tires can cause the coach to pull to one side.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:35 PM   #8

Hey Bob,
I just got in from a gig and thank you sir for your info .
Yea I'm a 60 yr old drummer still bangin away as long as the phone rings..........
I serviced the Monaco and had everything dialed in on the tires and that did not change anything so I do agree not to do anything till issue is resolved. I'm in Mississippi so I found Southern Tire Mart that will do the alignment whenever I get a free moment and thing slow down a bit. They handle a large amount of over the road truckers.
i checked out the JOSAM and that's impressive. Wish i was near that place.

Call me R.W.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdrummer View Post
Hey Bob,
I just got in from a gig and thank you sir for your info .
Yea I'm a 60 yr old drummer still bangin away as long as the phone rings..........
I serviced the Monaco and had everything dialed in on the tires and that did not change anything so I do agree not to do anything till issue is resolved. I'm in Mississippi so I found Southern Tire Mart that will do the alignment whenever I get a free moment and thing slow down a bit. They handle a large amount of over the road truckers.
i checked out the JOSAM and that's impressive. Wish i was near that place.

Call me R.W.
R.W.--I would not discourage you from the alignment. But bear in mind something most folks are not aware of. Alignments consist of Caster, Camber and Toe-In. What will cure your pulling to one side is almost surely adjusting toe-in to spec, and that same adjustment will set your wheels so they are both equally "toed-in" from the coach's fore-aft centerline.

Changing CASTER can only be accomplished with shims between your coach's axle and its mounting pads (which Monaco welded together). Many shops will not even have those shims. Because unless the coach's frame was improperly welded by Monaco, OR the coach has been in an accident, making a caster adjustment on a solid front axle vehicle is rare.

CAMBER is an angle machined into your solid front axle when it was manufactured. Unless it was improperly manufactured (extremely rare) or was involved in an accident, it will not need camber adjustment. Indeed, if camber adjustment is needed, it takes many tons of force and special fixtures to BEND the axle and change its camber.

My advice to you is to beware of very high-dollar alignments, since 96% of the time, all that will be adjusted is your toe-in. That adjustment is simple and takes only a short time. In fact, that are quite a few folks who adjust their own toe-in, scribing a line on the tire and using a tape measure. I am one of them.

On IFS (Independent Front Suspension) the camber and caster are readily adjustable, but not on a solid front axle.

Again, I do not discourage the alignment. And I am certainly impressed with the capabilities of Josam's. I'm just saying very few coaches need caster or camber adjustments.

Congrats on the drummer gig. I'm 67 and only quit doing mobile DJ gigs a few years ago--tired of working weekends.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:41 PM   #10
YC1

Fortunately my 08 Endeavor was not welded and they added shims. I have had two different places do an alignment and they both used shims. The thing still has a tendency to pull to the right a tiny bit. It could be that the shims are making the steering lighter and the crown of the road is just more effective.

I have a Safe-T-Plus and cobbled up my own trim system. I'm on my second generation. If I had a metal fab shop something much more elegant could be built easily. Maybe Van would like to discuss this with me at the Gathering in Feb.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:06 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Fortunately my 08 Endeavor was not welded and they added shims. I have had two different places do an alignment and they both used shims. The thing still has a tendency to pull to the right a tiny bit. It could be that the shims are making the steering lighter and the crown of the road is just more effective.

I have a Safe-T-Plus and cobbled up my own trim system. I'm on my second generation. If I had a metal fab shop something much more elegant could be built easily. Maybe Van would like to discuss this with me at the Gathering in Feb.
My 2008 Beaver needed shims as well. I pulled pretty hard to the right. The alignment people asked what chassis. As soon as I told him they said they would have to shim it.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
My 2008 Beaver needed shims as well. I pulled pretty hard to the right. The alignment people asked what chassis. As soon as I told him they said they would have to shim it.
Yeah same here on my 07 neptune. Josams put a shim on the passengers side on mine. It looks to be about 5/16" thick or maybe a little more. Mine still has a slight pull right but it's much better than before.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 07:15 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
YCI have you looked at Henderson's adjuster for the Safe T Plus? Sanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 07:34 PM   #14

Rear axle can be out of alignment as well and most places are not able to do a 4 point wheel alignment due to the long wheelbase, This was the case on my previous motor home. Josam finally solved the problem of pulling to the right by repositioning the rear axle.

Tags
steering