Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2017, 01:48 AM   #1401

Monaco Owners Club
When I adjust my box, I usually back it off 1/16-1/8 turn. I think 1/4 turn might induce too much play. But that's just me.

I bottom out the adjuster screw snugly a couple of times to get the "feel" that I have actually reached bottom. Then I back off the adjuster 1/8 turn and make note of where the screwdriver slot ends up.

Next I tighten the jam nut. In most cases, as you are tightening the jam nut, the adjuster screw wants to walk with the jam nut. This is where making note of the adjuster screw comes into play. I had some walk no matter how much I tried to keep the adjuster screw from rotating at the same time. No problem. Back off the adjuster screw a bit more and let it walk back into proper position when tightening the jam nut. It may take two or three tries, but at long as the adjuster screw winds up at the noted position, you are good to go.

Also, one of the best penetrating oils is Koil. Soak it a few times the day before adjusting the box. Once you jam nut is loose, spray it again and make sure the jam nut spins freely on the adjuster screw.

Hope this helps.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2017, 03:26 AM   #1402

Adjustment

Harry, very good procedure and explanation. Thanks
USAF Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:23 PM   #1403

Adjustment of TRW

So are you guys not taking the pitman arm off the drag link when adjusting your TRW?

I watched a video and that is what they were doing to show the adjustment procedure.

I am certainly fine with not taking it apart if it is possible to adjust without disassembly. Just wondering if I am interpreting how you are doing this, I need to adjust mine.
Rusty Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:44 PM   #1404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kramer View Post
So are you guys not taking the pitman arm off the drag link when adjusting your TRW?

I watched a video and that is what they were doing to show the adjustment procedure.

I am certainly fine with not taking it apart if it is possible to adjust without disassembly. Just wondering if I am interpreting how you are doing this, I need to adjust mine.

Rusty the correct way per the video. It can be done with it still connected but the front wheels should be off the ground. Make sure marks in output shaft and case are aligned.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:15 PM   #1405

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post
Rusty the correct way per the video. It can be done with it still connected but the front wheels should be off the ground. Make sure marks in output shaft and case are aligned.
Yet Craig did mine on the ground, wheels straight ahead, nothing detached.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:15 PM   #1406

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
Yet Craig did mine on the ground, wheels straight ahead, nothing detached.

You can he also did mine, the proper way, put her in the air, or detach drag link.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:48 PM   #1407

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
2007 Cayman TRW install update

I had a great response from Weller truck HQ. They promptly built and shipped the TRW and Pitman arm to the truck shop I had chosen.

However it has been going downhill from there. The coach has been in the shop for over a week now and a I got a call from the shop manager today asking for a technical contact at Weller because they could not get the steering box aligned properly.

Well it turns out to be a case of NOT listening to the customer (me). Weller told them to put back the spacers they took off of the Sheppard.

I had given the shop manager the written swap procedures annotated in BIG LETTERS about how they should keep the 3 inch spacers and buy longer bolts and did not need to drill the TRW adjustment access hole. I had asked to talk to the technician before they started the job but to no avail.

So Now after they bought shorter bolts (they took off the 3 inch spacers - so they needed shorted bolts not longer ones), drilled the 2 inch adjustment screw access hole (which was not necessary with the 3 inch spacers) and found that it did not line up.

What a disappointment. I told them exactly what they needed to do and gave them my cell number with explicit instructions to call me when they started on the job.

SO, my assessment is that I should have bought the tools and did this myself. I could have been done days ago.

I am sure that they will now try to bill me for all the time they spent making mistakes because they did not listen...

Sorry for the rant, but my experience may help someone else trying to decide to do the swap themselves or farm it out.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:52 AM   #1408

Wow

Sorry you had that experience. The shop sure made a straight forward job into a nightmare. Worse, they did not pay any attention to you! Sounds like you did all you could to put them on the right track.
USAF Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:04 AM   #1409

Another reason for DIY

Sorry for your bad experience. But even at the very BEST of shops, it is hard to get "experts" to listen to owners. I'm sure Craig will jump in here shortly, but an example is when a shop replaces your steering gear then tells you that your coach needs an alignment because the steering wheel is no longer straight ahead.

One of "our group" of folks who understands suspensions and steering systems was once told by someone considered to be THE FOREMOST authority in the country on Roadmaster chassis, "How much play there is in your steering gear box makes no difference in how the coach drives or handles."

Even at shops with a really good reputation, it is really hard to get them to listen to you. But it's the same way with building contractors, plumbers, electricians, brick masons, HVAC technicians, and other technical people--they just do not want to do anything that varies from the "way we have always done it" and the LAST person they will listen to is the person who is EMPLOYING them. It can be really frustrating. Been there, done that.

Hope your installation comes out OK, because I suspect the shop will botch the steering gear centering and the setting of the poppets, also.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:43 AM   #1410

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post
You can he also did mine, the proper way, put her in the air, or detach drag link.

This "process" has been discussed many times on this forum and with Weller.
The TRW video is the "proper" way to do the steering gear adjustment but not the only way. Yes you can disconnect the draglink and do it that way if you wish

There is no need to have the wheels in the air, unless maybe you are trying to set the poppets after a SWAP. There is no relation between the draglink, crosslink and the adjustment of the steering gear. If you GENTLY rock the input shaft of the steering gear you are moving the larger gear inside the steering gear case and you can adjust the sector shaft to remove play. It is a feel and if you are uncomfortable doing it....DON'T. I am under the coach with my hand on the input shaft itself, NOT at the steering wheel.

Either procedure is relatively easy to perform, well maybe except getting the pitman arm to let go of the draglink end, but the adjustment part is relatively easy.

SWAP ON (if you want too)

Craig
CrazyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:47 AM   #1411

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncealot View Post
I had a great response from Weller truck HQ. They promptly built and shipped the TRW and Pitman arm to the truck shop I had chosen.

However it has been going downhill from there. The coach has been in the shop for over a week now and a I got a call from the shop manager today asking for a technical contact at Weller because they could not get the steering box aligned properly.

Well it turns out to be a case of NOT listening to the customer (me). Weller told them to put back the spacers they took off of the Sheppard.

I had given the shop manager the written swap procedures annotated in BIG LETTERS about how they should keep the 3 inch spacers and buy longer bolts and did not need to drill the TRW adjustment access hole. I had asked to talk to the technician before they started the job but to no avail.

So Now after they bought shorter bolts (they took off the 3 inch spacers - so they needed shorted bolts not longer ones), drilled the 2 inch adjustment screw access hole (which was not necessary with the 3 inch spacers) and found that it did not line up.

What a disappointment. I told them exactly what they needed to do and gave them my cell number with explicit instructions to call me when they started on the job.

SO, my assessment is that I should have bought the tools and did this myself. I could have been done days ago.

I am sure that they will now try to bill me for all the time they spent making mistakes because they did not listen...

Sorry for the rant, but my experience may help someone else trying to decide to do the swap themselves or farm it out.

Sorry ..

I HATE it when shops "know" what they are doing and then they DON"T !

This should be a simple 4 to 6 hour job and yes I would not be surprised if they try and bill you for their learning curve. 11 hours was the last bill I was aware of and you just stand their and shake your head. Gently remind them, I told you some VERY important information BEFORE this started which you chose to ignore !

SORRY again and please let me know if I can help in ANY way !

Van is right...LOTS of experts at MANY RV rallies have told me, us, things and then we start asking questions and filling in the blanks and then....BOOM heads explode !

Craig
Old 08-03-2017, 10:36 AM   #1412

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Van, Thanks for the reply. How do I tell if the steering gear / poppets are not set correctly?
When I get the coach home, I plan to lift the front wheels and check the wheel movement lock to lock. And generally look for things that don't look right. Am I correct that if I measure the pitman arm travel that with the wheels centered, the arm should be in the middle of its travel?

The poppets set the limits of the wheel movement in each direction? Is it easy to tell if the settings are off?
Thanks,
Old 08-03-2017, 10:49 AM   #1413

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
2007 Cayman TRW install update - 2

I just talked to the shop and they just finished road testing the coach and they say everything is good to go. I will be picking it up this afternoon and hopefully everything really is good to go. I will post the billing details when I get done arguing with them.

Any recommendations of what and how to check the installation will be appreciated. I have about a 15 mile 'road test' to get the coach home (unless there is a serious issue and I return to the shop).
Old 08-03-2017, 01:12 PM   #1414

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncealot View Post
I just talked to the shop and they just finished road testing the coach and they say everything is good to go. I will be picking it up this afternoon and hopefully everything really is good to go. I will post the billing details when I get done arguing with them.

Any recommendations of what and how to check the installation will be appreciated. I have about a 15 mile 'road test' to get the coach home (unless there is a serious issue and I return to the shop).

Hope I am not too late. Had an errand to run.

Like above about adjustments, the installation should result in the wheels straight ahead and the steering gear sector shaft should be on the center mark (Picture below) Line on sector shaft pointed at the nub in the case. You should not have been charged for a front end alignment to center the steering wheel, simple 15 min procedure under the plastic cover at your ankles while driving. New coaches on the firewall in the generator bay.

I doubt your gear will need an additional adjustment but some have to get them spot on. 1/4 turn or less.

Fingers Crossed

Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_cc3.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	171517  

Tags
steering