Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2014, 09:52 AM   #141
YC1

If you were working off road in construction where every rock kicks your wheel around the play of the Sheppard may actually be a benefit in preventing tired or injured hands. Low speeds, no worries of cross winds or white lines and the Sheppard is fine. They just don't seem to be the best option for our purpose.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2014, 10:39 AM   #142

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
If you were working off road in construction where every rock kicks your wheel around the play of the Sheppard may actually be a benefit in preventing tired or injured hands. Low speeds, no worries of cross winds or white lines and the Sheppard is fine. They just don't seem to be the best option for our purpose.

Can I get an AMEN !

I had a chance this morning to look at few school buses as I walked around a parking lot, you know curious minds want to know.
Theses buses were newer, or at least not that old, and there glaring at me were TRW steering boxes.

I look at steering boxes just for fun now......I think I might need help.

I know when I am in Hershey PA in September at the big RV show I will be looking under A LOT of coaches.
CrazyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:18 PM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKnight View Post
Can I get an AMEN !

I look at steering boxes just for fun now......I think I might need help.

chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:53 AM   #144

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKnight View Post
Alan,

I can BARELY make out the model number in the first photo. Looks like a pmn31 but double check that. It is on the flat area right across from the Auto M100. Just left of the rust in the photo.

I was down there again yesterday to do some other things prepping for our trip and I crawled under it again. You are correct. It is a PMN31. I sure wish I had time to make the steering change before I leave. This trip will be close to 6k miles and hearing about the great improvement in handling makes drool. Thanks for your sharp eyesight seeing those numbers. My eyes are not so good seeing things up close anymore.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:56 AM   #145

Monaco Owners Club
PLG 3 owners.

Attention PLG 3 owners

TRW swap information.

Well I have bad news and great news.
There is no off the shelf TRW bolt on swap for the Sheppard M100 PLG 3.
The GREAT news is my WELLER tech contact will CUSTOM build a TRW TAS65 to bolt on to replace the PLG 3. They will use a bolt on case and put TAS 65 components in the case. He hinted he will use the same components used in one of our other bolt on matches ensuring the M100 and the Custom TAS 65 will operate as close a possible to the same.

This will come with the normal warranty and WELLER will stand behind this product and rebuild as it would any other TRW TAS 65 product.

I would call this AMAZING. I had to read my techs email twice and write him a clarification email just to MAKE SURE this is what he was willing to do. WOW !

Owners who are interested in going this route contact me through a private irv2 message and I will get you the techs phone number and information. The tech is willing to discuss this process with you directly, which I think is best.

This was the last Sheppard box model number in my request list so if you are new or just reading this and thinking "what if" please post your information if it does not match one already on the thread and I will see what we can do.

Good luck and as always....SAFE TRAVELS !
Old 07-30-2014, 10:01 AM   #146

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wilson View Post
I was down there again yesterday to do some other things prepping for our trip and I crawled under it again. You are correct. It is a PMN31. I sure wish I had time to make the steering change before I leave. This trip will be close to 6k miles and hearing about the great improvement in handling makes drool. Thanks for your sharp eyesight seeing those numbers. My eyes are not so good seeing things up close anymore.
Alan,

FIRST thank for the photo post.

I am glad I was on the road and only had my ipad with me as that let me zoom in on the photo, that helped a BUNCH. I also can not see much without my cheaters on.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:06 AM   #147

I guess you snooze, you lose...

Just tried Weller and a few other places. They don't have the TAS65 126.

Would your guy have a solution similar to the PLG3 for the PMN31?

Also found a local shop prepared to do the swap for me... Just need the parts now.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:22 AM   #148

Chris-
When I talked to Weller here in Omaha, the rep told me that he showed only one core and if I wanted it, they would rebuild it and ship it over. I really wasn't ready to do the swap yet, but when he told me there was only one core in the system.... well, I had to jump on it. Sorry

Now all I have to do is remove the old Sheppard and exchange it at their store. When you have a MH that doesn't have a generator on a slide, it sure becomes challenging. All is left is the upper mounting bolt and the p/s hoses. I hope to pick up a shallow socket tonight so I can get at this last bolt. If all goes well, I'll exchange the units tomorrow and get the new one install before my trip on Friday.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:36 AM   #149

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead383 View Post
Chris-
When I talked to Weller here in Omaha, the rep told me that he showed only one core and if I wanted it, they would rebuild it and ship it over. I really wasn't ready to do the swap yet, but when he told me there was only one core in the system.... well, I had to jump on it. Sorry

Now all I have to do is remove the old Sheppard and exchange it at their store. When you have a MH that doesn't have a generator on a slide, it sure becomes challenging. All is left is the upper mounting bolt and the p/s hoses. I hope to pick up a shallow socket tonight so I can get at this last bolt. If all goes well, I'll exchange the units tomorrow and get the new one install before my trip on Friday.

Now I know why it is no longer available! Lol! There are surely others somewhere.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:40 AM   #150

Quote:
Chris-

GRRRRRRRR!!!!

That'll learn me...

I don't have the slideout genny either and when I went to measure my pittman arm this morning, I don't think the TRW adjustment will be accessible either. Still need to drill a hole for it to sit flush but probably won't be able to adjust.

I was glad to find a shop ready to do the swap for me... Really wasn't looking forward to that part.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:45 PM   #151

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Chris-

When you complete the swap......PLEASE post your installation process differences and your test drive results for us.

Thanks.

I will see what I can do reference the shortage of the TAS 65 126.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:42 PM   #152

Craig,
I will definitely provide instructions. However, if I can't get the upper 33mm headed bolt off tonight, I'll have to hook everything back up tomorrow for my trip this weekend. Then next week I will try it again. Man these bolts are frickin tight!
Old 07-30-2014, 02:11 PM   #153
YC1

Quote:
Craig,
I will definitely provide instructions. However, if I can't get the upper 33mm headed bolt off tonight, I'll have to hook everything back up tomorrow for my trip this weekend. Then next week I will try it again. Man these bolts are frickin tight!

Hit em with a hammer while using a wrench on the other side. Grab a hand torch and heat it up too if needed.

And don't forget to use the proper language.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:19 PM   #154

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Hit em with a hammer while using a wrench on the other side. Grab a hand torch and heat it up too if needed.

And don't forget to use the proper language.

What he said !

Tags
steering