Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2019, 10:43 PM   #1555

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwarfare View Post
Does anyone know of a good shop to do the TRW swap in S. California? I have a 2007 Diplomat with a M100 PPN31.
IIRC Colton Truck Terminal will do swaps - I think that is listed in this thread.

I have been a loyal customer for about 15 years. Pricey but never had to go back because something was done incorrectly. Fair too - they don't do work just to run up a bill.

You'll see a lot of city trucks and local FD trucks - that says something to me.

Last I heard the owner sold to the employees. I'll still go back - they were all great.

(909) 825-4080

863 E Valley Blvd
Colton CA 92324
United States of America
VinceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2019, 12:44 PM   #1556

Sheppard to TRW steering gear swap

I find numerous post about switching out the steering gear box on a Monaco from a Sheppard to TRW. Can anyone recommend a shop near Birmingham or Huntsville ALABAMA willing to do the work.
kegmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:21 AM   #1557

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kegmonaco View Post
I find numerous post about switching out the steering gear box on a Monaco from a Sheppard to TRW. Can anyone recommend a shop near Birmingham or Huntsville ALABAMA willing to do the work.
Your best bet would be to go to Orlando and use Josams. They have done several and also install the Watts links. I believe they will let you camp on their lot. You don't mention what coach you have. Some Sheppards do not have a one for one bolt pattern to the TRW. It is best for you to go under your coach and take pictures and look for the Sheppard part number and post back here. Craig will chime in and help if needed.

link to Josams website
Home

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:19 AM   #1558

Smile Steering Box Play

nodine

Thanks for the response. I am aware of Josams and their reputation. I was just looking for a shop closer to home. RE: my coach... it is a 2005 Knight 40DST. We purchased it new and it only has 65K miles.

I have the mechanical skills to do the TRW swap myself, however, at 70, the body is not as flexible as it used to be. Doing the swap on my back (on a creeper) may prove to be a little much. I can barely reach the pressure hose fitting. I am convinced motor home engineers design coaches to be hard to work on!!

I called Monaco and received their doc showing the model of the steering gear. I will get back under it to confirm the Sheppard info.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:55 AM   #1559

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
nodine

Thanks for the response. I am aware of Josams and their reputation. I was just looking for a shop closer to home. RE: my coach... it is a 2005 Knight 40DST. We purchased it new and it only has 65K miles.

I have the mechanical skills to do the TRW swap myself, however, at 70, the body is not as flexible as it used to be. Doing the swap on my back (on a creeper) may prove to be a little much. I can barely reach the pressure hose fitting. I am convinced motor home engineers design coaches to be hard to work on!!

I called Monaco and received their doc showing the model of the steering gear. I will get back under it to confirm the Sheppard info.
Sunday I will be 73 so know what you mean about not being as flexible as we once were. I did the swap on our coach but that was a few years back. A trick is to use a floor jack to get the old one down. Take all but one bolt out and then have someone raise the jack up to the steering sector and take out the last bolt. When going in with the new one have someone pump the jack while you hold the steering sector on the jack. When the sector gets in position place one blot in and put a nut on. Bring the jack down and then swing the sector up and place the other bolts in. The Sheppard is heavier than the TRW. Drilling the hole for the adjustment screw on the TRW can be a challenge. Don't know if your generator pulls out but if it does you can pull it out and crawl up into the cavity to drill the hole. Use a large 1/2 drill. Drill a pilot hole and then use a good hole saw.

Bob
Old 07-01-2019, 12:36 PM   #1560

Quote:
nodine

It has been several years but I had my Beaver done by RV Roadway in Calera, AL. They did a very good job. They also happen to be about a mile from a Weller depot where I got my TRW gear.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:47 AM   #1561

Steering Box Play

Thanks for the info. I looked up their web site and they appear to mainly deal with towed RVs. Was that the case when they worked rig?
Old 07-04-2019, 07:52 PM   #1562

Monaco Owners Club
Finally ... time to swap!

My coach was backed in to two weeks ago, damaging the existing Sheppard steering gear, and a few other things. It's time to swap it for the TRW equivalent. Wanted to confirm a couple of items with you folks that have done this swap before contacting Weller Truck to order the replacement gear with pitman arm.

My 2012 Knight 40PDQ has the Sheppard HQ94PD31, and an IXETIC hydraulic pump, using AW-46 hydraulic fluid. I believe the replacement TRW gear is TAS6566003 for my Sheppard. Is the "new" pitman arm to order part number 84242502?
Old 07-05-2019, 05:18 AM   #1563

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrheick View Post
My coach was backed in to two weeks ago, damaging the existing Sheppard steering gear, and a few other things. It's time to swap it for the TRW equivalent. Wanted to confirm a couple of items with you folks that have done this swap before contacting Weller Truck to order the replacement gear with pitman arm.

My 2012 Knight 40PDQ has the Sheppard HQ94PD31, and an IXETIC hydraulic pump, using AW-46 hydraulic fluid. I believe the replacement TRW gear is TAS6566003 for my Sheppard. Is the "new" pitman arm to order part number 84242502?
Actually the best plan would be to call Weller at the phone number Craig posted in post # 1512 and give him those numbers. They will know if there is a one for one bolt pattern and what TRW and Pitman arm you need for the swap. Craig has been working with that Weller shop for years and they understand the details.

Bob
Old 07-05-2019, 06:58 AM   #1564

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the heads up, and the contact info Bob.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:05 AM   #1565

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I looked up their web site and they appear to mainly deal with towed RVs. Was that the case when they worked rig?
When they did ours they had only recently opened as an independent shop. At that time, most of the stuff they were working on were motor homes.

They have subsequently added an RV dealership that seems to be primarily trailers but looks like their shop still works on motor homes.

Give them a call. When we did ours, it was the early days of the
Sheppard/TRW swaps and there was still reluctance to do the swap for litigation reasons. They were happy to do it and did a great job.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:48 AM   #1566

Monaco Owners Club
My 2012 Knight 36PFT had the HD94PQ31 gear and Weller sent me the TRW TAS65-66003 gear and the 84244602 arm. All fit perfect.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:01 AM   #1567

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
My 2012 Knight 36PFT had the HD94PQ31 gear and Weller sent me the TRW TAS65-66003 gear and the 84244602 arm. All fit perfect.
X2......Weller will double check to insure you get the correct parts.

Weller Contact Info...just in case

John VanLaan
Team Leader Assistant
Steering Dept.
Weller Truck Parts
jvanlaan@wellertruck.com

1-616-724-3762

SWAP ON....(if you want too)

Craig
CrazyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:33 AM   #1568

Monaco Owners Club
...time to swap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
Hmm. Thanks for the responses Dennis & Craig.

I did contact Weller yesterday morning. The info I provided Weller included the Sheppard steering gear part number, and the hydraulic pump manufacturer with part number. I didn't request a specific Pitman arm.

This is an edited response of the reply I received from John Vanlaan, "Hello James, Although we have not sold as many of the Sheppard to TRW changeover gears for the HD94 PQ3, We have done a few. The TRW gear you would need is

-TAS65 with a Spec1 of 66003
-Pitman arm number: 84242502

The pump you currently have should still work just fine with the swap. Please read the RV swap instructions and make sure your shop/mechanic is also aware of what is needed to accurately make the swap. Understand that we have not done the swap ourselves, but have supplied the parts requested by members of the IRV2 Forum."

I'll follow-up with John about the Pitman arm. Maybe Weller does have a previous parts order for a 40 foot 2012 Knight.

Tags
steering