Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2014, 08:25 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
A members asked me on the wandering thread about hose changes and bleeding the steering system.

Here is the information for just general knowledge,

NO hose changes at all. When you disconnect the hoses from the Sheppard have a gallon jug around, I used an old distilled water jug. This also gave me a chance to change the steering fluid which is recommended every 30K miles and it is only $15 a gallon,

To bleed the system, when you hook the hoses back up I just left the return hose a little loose, filled the reservoir and let gravity fill the first line and the steering box and when the return line started to drip I tightened it up. Check the fluid level again in the reservoir, fill to cold full line. Fire the engine up and let it IDLE ONLY for a few minutes and check the fluid level in the reservoir as it is idling, you will see the bubbles on the fill stick, fill little at a time.

After about 3 to 5 min you will have it really close.

Place the coach on the front leveling jack only, to get as much weight off the front wheels then it is time for a TRW poppet set. That is a FULL right turn until the hard stop, hold for a second, FULL left turn to the stop hold for a second. Done

EASY to do.

CrazyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2014, 12:10 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Just curious, when centering output shaft on a used TRW box, how do you find center. I ask because you have to set poppets after installing box. If poppets were not set equally on the used box and you used half way between lock to lock, could you be off center using this procedure? Or, do the poppets somehow revert back to a default position making half way between lock to lock true center?

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
Just curious, when centering output shaft on a used TRW box, how do you find center. I ask because you have to set poppets after installing box. If poppets were not set equally on the used box and you used half way between lock to lock, could you be off center using this procedure? Or, do the poppets somehow revert back to a default position making half way between lock to lock true center?
Harry,

I would not use a USED box. They reset the poppets when they rebuild the boxes, new seals and such. Without going into crazy detail you need a box that had the poppets reset and ready for a installation poppet set procedure.

Center on a TRW is easy, when they rebuild it they set it at center for you. If you move the shaft a little there is a timing mark for an easy reset to center, I know because I moved it trying to get the range of motion.

Leave it center and index the pitman arm with a home made jig. EASY !
Old 07-11-2014, 06:35 PM   #46

I am on the first leg of my annual motorcycle ride out West. I stopped in Atlanta to see Craig and his steering gear swap. He has described everything completely and accurately, and he has an installation that no one could ever guess was not OEM. He now has ZERO play in his steering wheel.

Craig and I began talking about this swap, assuming it would be necessary to fabricate a new mount for the box, and perhaps a handful of other special things made or bought to make this work. Now that it is done, and did not require even so much as a hydraulic fitting change, he and I both are flabbergasted that a steering box could even be found which had THE SAME BOLT PATTERN. Neither of us expected that. And the other thing that amazes us both is there have been so many problems with Sheppard boxes and no one has done this before. I felt the same way after finding how simple it was to cure the pre-2000 coaches from wandering--when so many "experts" told me my Dynasty was "too short to ever handle well", and I should just learn to live with it.

I have a feeling a great many Sheppard box owners are going to be very, very grateful that Craig pursued this problem so thoroughly. What a fantastic solution!! Craig is now trying to determine how many other coaches might be fixed this easily, so if you have a Sheppard gear please furnish him your steering gear model number and coach details, even if you don't plan to change your gear. You could be helping someone else who needs the fix badly.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:51 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
I get it now. Yes, you did say you got a reman box and used your Sheppard as a core. I just didn't want to see someone getting in trouble. But, you have made this changeover trouble free.

It is so considerate of you to make sure the rest of the Monaco community will gain from your major undertaking. My hat's off to you.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
I am on the first leg of my annual motorcycle ride out West. I stopped in Atlanta to see Craig and his steering gear swap. He has described everything completely and accurately, and he has an installation that no one could ever guess was not OEM. He now has ZERO play in his steering wheel.

Craig and I began talking about this swap, assuming it would be necessary to fabricate a new mount for the box, and perhaps a handful of other special things made or bought to make this work. Now that it is done, and did not require even so much as a hydraulic fitting change, he and I both are flabbergasted that a steering box could even be found which had THE SAME BOLT PATTERN. Neither of us expected that. And the other thing that amazes us both is there have been so many problems with Sheppard boxes and no one has done this before. I felt the same way after finding how simple it was to cure the pre-2000 coaches from wandering--when so many "experts" told me my Dynasty was "too short to ever handle well", and I should just learn to live with it.

I have a feeling a great many Sheppard box owners are going to be very, very grateful that Craig pursued this problem so thoroughly. What a fantastic solution!! Craig is now trying to determine how many other coaches might be fixed this easily, so if you have a Sheppard gear please furnish him your steering gear model number and coach details, even if you don't plan to change your gear. You could be helping someone else who needs the fix badly.

Van,

First thank you for a wonderful tech talk, it is always a joy to share knowledge with fellow coach owners and problem solvers.

Second, Thank you VERY MUCH for the kind words and taking the time out of your journey to stop in Atlanta for a visit and take a peak at all my work.

I will be delivering a big thank you pizza to my local shop that helped me out with this project on Monday or Tuesday, then a BIG thank you to the Master Tech this coming week. I will be asking all of these people for more help along the way ESPECIALLY if more coach owners decide this may be an option for them.

Now lets see if more bolt pattern matches can be found and like Van said, if you have not provided me with your Sheppard information on the "wandering" thread please do so here. I will try and tackle the most popular boxes first and work my way down the list. I also want to see if certain models of Sheppard boxes cross reference to each other, you know one TRW box model could be swapped for two or even three different Sheppard Models. ONE CAN HOPE :-)

When i get the TOAD test run done I will post and then cross bars and post.

I am taking the grandkids to the zoo in the morning and then back to the coach on Monday.

Until then.........
Old 07-12-2014, 04:35 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKnight View Post
Van,

First thank you for a wonderful tech talk, it is always a joy to share knowledge with fellow coach owners and problem solvers.

Second, Thank you VERY MUCH for the kind words and taking the time out of your journey to stop in Atlanta for a visit and take a peak at all my work.

I will be delivering a big thank you pizza to my local shop that helped me out with this project on Monday or Tuesday, then a BIG thank you to the Master Tech this coming week. I will be asking all of these people for more help along the way ESPECIALLY if more coach owners decide this may be an option for them.

Now lets see if more bolt pattern matches can be found and like Van said, if you have not provided me with your Sheppard information on the "wandering" thread please do so here. I will try and tackle the most popular boxes first and work my way down the list. I also want to see if certain models of Sheppard boxes cross reference to each other, you know one TRW box model could be swapped for two or even three different Sheppard Models. ONE CAN HOPE :-)

When i get the TOAD test run done I will post and then cross bars and post.

I am taking the grandkids to the zoo in the morning and then back to the coach on Monday.

Until then.........
Craig,

The Monaco community owes you and Van a big thank you. You already have my Sheppard box number from the wandering thread.

It seems you may need to change your screen name from CrazyKnight to SaneKnight or TameKnight.

Bob
2006 Honda in standby
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:01 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
I get it now. Yes, you did say you got a reman box and used your Sheppard as a core. I just didn't want to see someone getting in trouble. But, you have made this changeover trouble free.

It is so considerate of you to make sure the rest of the Monaco community will gain from your major undertaking. My hat's off to you.
Thanks Harry !
Old 07-12-2014, 07:21 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Craig,

The Monaco community owes you and Van a big thank you. You already have my Sheppard box number from the wandering thread.

It seems you may need to change your screen name from CrazyKnight to SaneKnight or TameKnight.

Bob
Bob,

You made me almost spit my coffee on my screen, that is how we came up with the screen name. After picking up the coach in Chicago and driving to Albuquerque....we both looked at other....my shoulders felt like I picked a bar fight with the a gorilla...and said this has been one CRAZY NIGHT...and it was getting dark. WE just fixed the spelling....and it stuck ! Thanks !

I am hoping other Monaco and HR owners read this and decide they do not have to accept steering play that is caused by the steering box. How much is to much is up to each owner but EVEN if they get their Sheppard repaired RIGHT your driving experience will be so much more enjoyable, but the TRW..HUBBA HUBBA !

Thank you for the accolades, I will continue to help fellow coach owners with this nagging issue.

I should have the cross bars in next week and then I will put this to the group.

If you are in the Atlanta area or just passing through and I am in town I will offer up MY coach for you to drive and compare it to your own.

Enjoy the morning.....off to the zoo,

Craig
Old 07-12-2014, 12:01 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Craig,

Is there any chance you can have your steering box supplier come up with a "Package" that we can order?

Other than the Sheppard model number is there any other information are you looking for? Mounting photographs?

I am ready to place an order as soon as you have the final info. I have two friends that will probably go for it too. Would it help to get a head count of how many are ready now as information you can go to your supplier with?

Thanks again for your efforts!
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:29 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
Craig,

Is there any chance you can have your steering box supplier come up with a "Package" that we can order?

Other than the Sheppard model number is there any other information are you looking for? Mounting photographs?

I am ready to place an order as soon as you have the final info. I have two friends that will probably go for it too. Would it help to get a head count of how many are ready now as information you can go to your supplier with?

Thanks again for your efforts!
I can supply you with the information now.

You SHOULD have the same Sheppard I had...model # HD94PQ31 but check.
ANY coach with this model Sheppard should be able to swap to these parts.

The TRW TAS65 Model # 66003 (case # of 2282 if someone asks)
The pitman arm I used was part # 84263202
1 gallon of AW-46 hydraulic fluid...but check your owners manual. Check around it was hard to find in only the gallon size. O'Reilly's auto parts was the only place I found it in 1 gallon.

I used Weller truck parts. They have MANY outlets. They should take your Sheppard as a core when you are done with the swap. I do not know where you are located but they were VERY helpful getting this done and if possible give them your business.

Location check WELLER TRUCK PARTS | WELLER REMAN: LOCATIONS

I am not sure of a package deal but I can check on Monday with Weller and see if something can be worked out, I will be at the Atlanta location taking them a pizza for lunch.

Your mount should look JUST LIKE mine and I posted most of the information you need...I THINK... but let me know if I can help in ANY WAY.

PM me if you want and I will provide my phone #.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:14 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
If it helps, here is a picture of my Sheppard HD94PQ31. As you can see it's mounted tilted forward more than yours but that shouldn't be a problem.
There is a Weller outlet 150 miles away from me that I should be able to use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-IMG_5206.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	67656  
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:37 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Been following this thread since the beginning as well as the other thread on wandering.

I have a 2008 Camelot tag axle. So, did not think much applied to me! I thought I had the Sheppard box from some seminars I had been to. In either this thread or the other, someone talked about the steering box being on the build sheet. Looked it up, I have a TRW. Perhaps I could fix my wandering problem after all. Found this on the internet from TRW.

TRW Commercial Steering Systems : Steering Gear Sector Shaft Adjustment Procedure - YouTube

Did the adjustment, so much better. Thanks to all in both threads for keeping these at the top and keeping everyone thinking.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
If it helps, here is a picture of my Sheppard HD94PQ31. As you can see it's mounted tilted forward more than yours but that shouldn't be a problem.
There is a Weller outlet 150 miles away from me that I should be able to use.
Dennis,

Looks like the mount angle is different, that should be a non issue.
Your return hose to the power steering pump, the gold one, will come out the back of the TRW and the pressure side, the silver one, will come out in the same place.

One thing, just from the picture you MIGHT be able to index your pitman arm ON the coach. My electrical bay wall was in the way so I HAD to do it on the bench.

The ENTIRE unit will move outboard 1/2 an inch, the case on the TRW is thicker. My drag link position was about the same as yours. Your mount appears to be the same just moved further forward. Maybe due to the dash redesign from 2011 to 2012 and up ?

The front wheels need to be straight but I will also take a picture on the bench of where the Sheppard pitman arm needs to be aligned with the grove in the steering box case to help with "true" steering center. That will make the TRW pitman line up really easy.

I used a paper template and was able to drill a pilot hole for the adjustment screw assembly on the TRW with a 90 degree drill head and 1/4" bit from the outboard side of the mounting plate and then sit up in the generator area with the generator slid out and cut the larger hole from the inside of the plate using the 1/4" pilot hole and a bimetal hole saw and some cutting oil.

Your set up looks VERY confined to cut the hole you will need for the adjustment screw from the inside but can you do it ALL from the outboard side ? FOR MY NOTES !

If you call the Weller near you they may be able to just drop ship your parts to your house. They pay for one of the shipping costs, you pay the return costs.

The drag link castle nut comes off easy and then just spray a little penetrating lubricant in the void. I ran the castle nut back on the drag link and made the end of the nut and threads even and just tapped it with a small hammer then spray lube, wait a bit,repeat, after about 3 tries the drag link popped right out of the pitman arm.

I think I will post a more step by step process if someone needs the info all lined up in one place from start to finish.

Tags
steering