Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2015, 07:36 AM   #1093

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
Roadmaster rr4r chassis upgrades - iRV2 Forums

You are exactly right bob. Everything that Craig went thru and has done to help all of us and we are "muddying" it up. I started the above thread so us 4 baggers can hopefully improve our chassis at least partially what the 8 baggers have been able to do.

Chad

Chad,

Thank you for starting a thread to share information. I was going to suggest we move this information to the Wandering thread but your idea is even better. SHARE all of this information and knowledge with each other.

On a side note, I just happen to have a 4 bagger friend that I did a TRW SWAP for that would allow me to crawl around under it for some "research". Measurements and drawings.

I will meet you at your new thread

Bob, Thanks for the nudge.

Craig
CrazyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2015, 09:04 AM   #1094

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKnight View Post
Chad,

Thank you for starting a thread to share information. I was going to suggest we move this information to the Wandering thread but your idea is even better. SHARE all of this information and knowledge with each other.

On a side note, I just happen to have a 4 bagger friend that I did a TRW SWAP for that would allow me to crawl around under it for some "research". Measurements and drawings.

Craig
Oh my, don't want to muddy up all this good stuff you did for us all. I agree with you all. See you on the new thread and thanks again Craig for all you've done.
CaymanPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:44 PM   #1095

Monaco Owners Club
Talking Sheppard Swap Completed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Want2gofish,

To add to what Roy has already provided, I would not waste anymore time calling TRW or ARG again. They will not be interested in any deviation from the manufacturer's design because of liability issues. Wait for Craig to get back with you and look at Roy's write up. Craig has developed an outstanding relationship with Weller Truck and that is the place to get what you need. They rebuild steering sectors and will take your old Sheppard to cover the core charge.

Bob
Received my TRW box a a couple of weeks ago. We put this box in yesterday following the white paper. Thank you Ron for putting that together. We have not driven it. (High wind warning and flooding predicted from heavy rain. Will let the weather settle firs) We can feel a large improvement in the amount of free play at the wheel. Almost none!

I do have one question. The Sheppard had washers under the bolt head and and a thinner washer between the gear box and mounting plate. We installed the TRW with the washers between the TRW and mounting plate. Should we have left these out? We could not figure out why the needed to be there for the Sheppard box.
want2gofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:42 PM   #1096

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by want2gofish View Post
Received my TRW box a a couple of weeks ago. We put this box in yesterday following the white paper. Thank you Ron for putting that together. We have not driven it. (High wind warning and flooding predicted from heavy rain. Will let the weather settle firs) We can feel a large improvement in the amount of free play at the wheel. Almost none!

I do have one question. The Sheppard had washers under the bolt head and and a thinner washer between the gear box and mounting plate. We installed the TRW with the washers between the TRW and mounting plate. Should we have left these out? We could not figure out why the needed to be there for the Sheppard box.
Want2gofish,

I have never seen washers between the mounting plate and the steering gear. Could the factory have used the washers to improve clearances at some point ?
The TRW steering gear is about 3/8" to 1/2" "wider" than the Sheppard and thus moves the pitman arm to draglink connection outward. We try and compensate for that with pitman arm offset.

Do you need the washers between the mounting plate and the TRW steering box, probably not. Did you take any measurements of the pitman arm where it bolts to the drag link from a "set" point that you could use to see if using or not using the thin washers between the mounting plate and the steering box , would put you back to, or closer to, the OEM spec.
I strive for as close to factory, OEM, as possible.

If you have clearance issues of any kind with the mounting plate washers installed would removing them help ? PLEASE let us know as you are the first one to have this set up.

THANKS,

Craig
Old 12-21-2015, 04:05 AM   #1097

Quote:
Chad,

Craig
Bob............Craig and I SWAPPED the Sheppard on my Safari Cheetah 38' (a 4 bagger with factory Sway Bars!). Our coach drives so much better after the SWAP. Please let me help on the new thread any way I can.

Mike
Maddog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 05:47 AM   #1098

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog7 View Post
Bob............Craig and I SWAPPED the Sheppard on my Safari Cheetah 38' (a 4 bagger with factory Sway Bars!). Our coach drives so much better after the SWAP. Please let me help on the new thread any way I can.

Mike
Well put, WE swapped the Sheppard for the TRW with really good results. Maddog7 (Mike) will you PLEASE allow me to crawl around under your RR4 coach for a hour or so and then we can post our findings, and photos of course, in the new RR4 thread.

Of course there is a thank you lunch involved with a cold one. Just a great excuse to get together with my friend ! Mike I will be in touch
Old 12-22-2015, 04:31 AM   #1099

Quote:
Well put, WE swapped the Sheppard for the TRW with really good results. Maddog7 (Mike) will you PLEASE allow me to crawl around under your RR4 coach for a hour or so and then we can post our findings, and photos of course, in the new RR4 thread.

Of course there is a thank you lunch involved with a cold one. Just a great excuse to get together with my friend ! Mike I will be in touch

Craig.....

Now that "every day is a Saturday" for me , I can meet you anytime you'd like. FYI, now that our newly added AGS system has proven to work perfectly (tested it by purposely draining the house batteries), I will begin installing a new WiFi Ranger Elite package to our coach......beginning today, so, PM me and we can make arrangements to meet.

Mike (Maddog)
Old 12-27-2015, 10:35 PM   #1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog7 View Post
Craig.....

Now that "every day is a Saturday" for me , I can meet you anytime you'd like. FYI, now that our newly added AGS system has proven to work perfectly (tested it by purposely draining the house batteries), I will begin installing a new WiFi Ranger Elite package to our coach......beginning today, so, PM me and we can make arrangements to meet.

Mike (Maddog)
Mike,

"every day is a Saturday"---Does that mean you can join us for the Alaska trip? Even if not, looking forward to seeing you again.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:56 AM   #1101

Hi Van!!

Since I announced my "retirement" to my company last July, Susan has been busy planning 2 major travel "expeditions" for 2016. We plan on enjoying our newly acquired "freedom" (technically Jan. 1st), to explore the lower 48 for a while, as most of my travels have been from 30,000 feet for many years. We so look forward to "really seeing" our beautiful country through our IMAX windshield! We will (at this time) "experience" Alaska through all of your, Sandy's' Craig and Angie's pics, emails, and calls! Perhaps another time in the future!

On another note, I have been busy adding a lot of "new stuff" preparing for our travels (3 new 32" flatscreens, G2 Direct TV satellite system, a AGS system, WiFi Ranger Elite, 3 new Fantastic fans, and the list goes on and on with dozens of improvements including some "comfort and convenience items". However, Craig and I have been discussing my "participation" in perhaps a R & D project regarding the RR4R chassis. I would be very excited to be of help in any way toward helping fellow RR4R chassis owners improve the driving experience! Craig and I are getting together this week to begin "the RR4R Project".

Maddog7
2004 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ
Quad slide/330 CAT/CAT Gen
Dodge Durango Toad
Old 01-12-2016, 09:30 PM   #1102

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by want2gofish View Post

Just curious if you installed your TRW steering gear in your coach ?
If and when you do PLEASE post your results for the world to see.

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-19-2016, 10:05 AM   #1103

Monaco Owners Club
PMN 34 Owners

While I was in Quartzite for the iRV2 Monaco get together I had the pleasure of meeting 4 RR4 owners who inquired about the possibility of a TRW SWAP for their PMN34's SWAP INFO: TRW TAS65052 steering gear and new pitman arm 84242502(Weller is including the pitman arm bolt and nut).

The good news is in the next post from Brent Hofstra at Weller, he is our RV Weller contact.

Safe Travels,

Craig
Old 01-19-2016, 10:20 AM   #1104

Monaco Owners Club
Weller does it AGAIN !

Weller Truck parts is taking the next step to help coach owners.

Direct from and email received from Brent yesterday.

"You are in luck. That is one of the most popular units to swap out. I forgot to mention that we have a set price for the RV guys so that no one gets mistreated and everyone pays the same amount. I am surprised our company let me give you guys the lower end of our price cost but they also believe in what you guys are doing. As far as your PMN guy goes he is going to need the TAS65052. We should have plenty of those in stock all across the country. For a pitman arm we have been using the 84242502 pitman arm. We have also been sending a bolt and nut with the arm as well. It takes a very special bolt and nut that has a special thread locker in place so that it cant loosen. We just want to make sure you guys are as safe as possible. We want to make sure its not just any bolt and nut you are using. The cost of a TAS65052 is $562.67 and is subject to change but whatever the price it will be the same for everyone at that time. The price of 84242502 is $167.96. We used to sell used but after much thought we decided we are only going to sell new to the RV guys. Your main complaint is the steering is not tight enough. In order to achieve a gear box that is tight as we can make it the gear must have a brand new pitman arm. If we sell used the gear box may have some slop because of it and it just wouldn’t do justice if we are trying to eliminate play at the wheel. Hope this Helps! "

Brent Hofstra
Steering Department
1500 Gezon Parkway SW
Grand Rapids MI 49508

Contact Brent with your information

bhofstra@wellertruck.com

SWAP ON ! (if you want to)
Old 01-28-2016, 10:55 AM   #1105

Monaco Owners Club
FYI

Team,

I just thought I would share the fact that I, along with Van (Vanwill) will be hosting a seminar on Sheppard steering gear upgrades and the Roadmaster Chassis at the Yahoo Monaco Gathering held at Lazy Days RV in Tampa FL next week. February 2nd thru February 7th.

It will be nice to put iRV2 names with faces and be able to share good conversation and fellowship.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:10 AM   #1106

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Team,

I just thought I would share the fact that I, along with Van (Vanwill) will be hosting a seminar on Sheppard steering gear upgrades and the Roadmaster Chassis at the Yahoo Monaco Gathering held at Lazy Days RV in Tampa FL next week. February 2nd thru February 7th.

It will be nice to put iRV2 names with faces and be able to share good conversation and fellowship.

Craig,

We will be there and looking forward to seeing you again.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering