Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2016, 07:17 AM   #1149
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-Bota View Post
barmcd
That would look like my old Sheppard gear. When I first looked at, I was hoping that the screw was an adjustment no such luck. The manufacturer warns not to turn the screw. The TRW that I replaced it with does have an adjustment, but it is on the side. Hope this helps.

Harry S

2005 HR Ambassador 36' PRT ISC 330,
2014 Honda CRV
that sounds like mine Harry.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2016, 07:21 AM   #1150
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcb View Post
Dennis,
The Sheppard gear has a bolt on the end of the sector shaft (the output shaft that holds the pitman arm), while the TRW has a pinch bolt on the pitman arm. In other words, the Sheppard pitman arm is a taper spline fit, while the TRW is a straight spline.

Roy
That's pretty clear. I'd like to change mine out if it's a Sheppard, but I've been going through all the routine maintenance and am pretty tired of crawling under the coach right now.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:27 AM   #1151

Monaco Owners Club
If you have play in your Sheppard gear, you will love the TRW. Hope it works out for you.

Roy
Old 05-24-2016, 04:55 PM   #1152

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Folks,

Wanted to take a few minutes and report we have another successful TRW Swap.

Coach owned by Rino in California. 2005 Monaco Knight 34'

So far Rino has installed a Front Watts kit, Rear Cross Bars and the TRW.
He has future plans for shocks, rear Watts and a Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer.

Rear Watts will probably be first since I will be shipping one out to him in a couple of weeks.

Suggested he read up on the Source Engineering Bilstein shocks. Quite a few readers here have posted positive comments about them.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:02 PM   #1153

Monaco Owners Club
I forgot to add that while he was here we adjusted his door latches then removed and tightened the scissor arm rivets. Turned out nicely.

Test driving this coach was fun. Winds during the test drive were about 40 mph. Pushed the coach around some but was easy to control. Took some pretty fast corners. No over steer or under steer to speak of. Absolutely no play in the steering at all.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:12 PM   #1154

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
TRW Swap in Canada or Washington State

I am onboard to make the swap but am not capable of doing it myself and was wondering if anyone has used a shop in Washington State or western canada.
Steering Gear M100 PMN31
Hydraulic Pump LH2112000

04 Diplomat 36PST
Old 05-26-2016, 12:36 PM   #1155

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm in western Washington and would also like to find a shop or person that could get this swap done... I had major surgery a few years ago and my upper body strength is sure not what it used to be. (I recently installed a front Watts Link but it was difficult for me.)
I have mentioned this swap to a few shops that I've been in for other stuff and the standard answer is something like, "why would you want to do that?" Or "It wouldn't be worth what it would cost"
Obviously I'm not talking to the right people!
I certainly expect to pay a fair price for the swap but I don't want my rig sitting in a shop for two or three weeks waiting for the job to get done...

Thank you for your time, Brian.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:22 PM   #1156

Monaco Owners Club
Use Caution

Guys,

I know this is of little help on the install part but I just helped an owner fight a shop that wanted to charge him 11 hours labor to SWAP and this was a good Freight Liner shop. Yes there is a learning curve but WOW ! The owner got the bill down to 6 hours.

PLEASE make sure the shop, whom ever you use, understands the process FIRST. Print out the "white papers" for installation. Go to the first few pages of this thread. It should only take a good shop who understands the process FIRST and has all the parts needed and on hand less than 5 hours to complete the SWAP. 4 is more on target.

READ everything you can, and then read again, to ensure they do it right.

I am on the road to Alaska, sitting in Calgary Canada now, so I am in and out of touch. USE the TEAM on the thread, ASK for help, PM owners, I know they will help you not get taken advantage of.

Sorry I can not recommend a shop, hopefully someone will, but just passing along a kind word of caution. We have had a few shop horror stories but also many successes.

SWAP ON (if you want too)

Craig
CrazyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:53 PM   #1157

Monaco Owners Club
My friend tried to adjust his TRW box on his '03 Winne Ultimate something. He ended up un screwing the adjusting bolt completely out of the box, so he could get the lock nut un stuck from the bolt. It worked but there wasn't any fluid leaking out of the hole, is this right? I thought there should have been lots of oil to lube the gears.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:30 AM   #1158

Monaco Owners Club
Hey folks,

I can vouch for the time it takes to replace the gear box. My helper here has done several working on a creeper with hand tools. Average about 4 hours.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:40 AM   #1159

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Left Coast SHop

Hendersons Line up in Grants Pass has done 4 swaps to date AFAIK. Give them a holler. Shouldn't be too far from Western Washington
Bob B
'09 Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffbubba View Post
I'm in western Washington and would also like to find a shop or person that could get this swap done... I had major surgery a few years ago and my upper body strength is sure not what it used to be. (I recently installed a front Watts Link but it was difficult for me.)
I have mentioned this swap to a few shops that I've been in for other stuff and the standard answer is something like, "why would you want to do that?" Or "It wouldn't be worth what it would cost"
Obviously I'm not talking to the right people!
I certainly expect to pay a fair price for the swap but I don't want my rig sitting in a shop for two or three weeks waiting for the job to get done...

Thank you for your time, Brian.

Nostlerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:48 AM   #1160

Thanks, I've always heard nothing but positive reviews of Henderson's Line Up over the years... Might be worth the drive to get it done at a shop that has done a few swaps and know what they are doing. They probably know about how many hours for labor now that they have done the four swaps.
Thanks for the info.

Brian.

Old 05-28-2016, 03:03 PM   #1161

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Henderson's

I stop at Henderson's pretty much every year for something on my way down or back from Lake Havasu. Last time brakes and new Koni shocks and oil change.They are a little pricier then other shops but I certainly do trust their work and no tax in Oregon does help.I have spent a couple of weeks here talking to shops and haven't found anyone willing to take on the project just referring me to other people.I am doing a cross country trip this fall so have booked into Henderson's next Friday to get the Swap done.Wish me luck and I will post the results a week later as we are going to a little side trip with the truck well there.Thanks for creating this change out as I do hope this makes this rig handle more like my old gas jobs without the wander and the joys of a DP.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:11 PM   #1162

Can't wait to hear about your swap! Are you ordering the TRW and having it shipped to Hendersons or are they taking care of everything? Looking forward to hearing about how your rig handles after the swap. Would also appreciate it if you can share how much the swap ends up costing you... (If you don't mind)

Thanks, Brian.

Tags
steering