RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2008, 04:39 PM   #1

I am a new owner of a 2008 HR Admiral and relatively inexperienced with driving a MH. So far I am very pleased with this coach but do at times feel uncomfortable with the steering. It seems somewhat 'loose' or soft in response. I tend to be focused on the steering too much when I drive. I am used to a Ford F250 diesel.

I have read some about steering stabilizers and am thinking of buying one or having it installed.

Any suggestions or recomendations?

Thanks!

LamarAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2008, 04:39 PM   #2

I am a new owner of a 2008 HR Admiral and relatively inexperienced with driving a MH. So far I am very pleased with this coach but do at times feel uncomfortable with the steering. It seems somewhat 'loose' or soft in response. I tend to be focused on the steering too much when I drive. I am used to a Ford F250 diesel.

I have read some about steering stabilizers and am thinking of buying one or having it installed.

Thanks!

Old 10-21-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
LamarAT.....Even though we pay a lot of money for these coaches, they often need some additional equipment to make them handle well. I'm not sure what chassis you have so you might want to post that information so people can tell you what equipment they have added.

If you're new to driving a motor home, try not to constantly steer to correct the path of the coach. Focus on the highway lane farther down the road and steer the coach toward that spot. It will keep you from working the steering too much and make the coach easier to drive.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:31 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Check tire pressure, coach weight and install a rear track bar. These changes made a big difference to our 06 Monarch.

Drifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:54 AM   #5

Thanks to both of you for your feedback!

As to the Chassis: it is a Workhorse W22 series with a GM Vortec 8.1 engine.

Thanks again for the info.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:45 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lamar - We are motorhome newbies, and have a Monaco 33SFS on the Workhorse Chassis. I believe that's a sister to the HR Admiral you have. Have only had it for four months but feel much comfortable driving it now than we did at first.

Agree with the others that you should give yourself some time to get used to driving a motorhome. They're big beasts and you don't "drive" them like a car, it's more like aiming them down the road - look further ahead than you would for a car. In addition, try using different air pressures for the tires - anywhere from the recommended pressures based on your actual axle weights up to the max pressure for the tires. We've found that the driving is somewhat more "sure" at higher pressure, but understand that others prefer using just the recommended pressure for a softer ride.

Based on many positive recommendations we added a Safe-T-Steer to be able to control the wheel in a blow out or accidentally going off the road, we noticed some improvement in routine driving but it wasn't the answer to the "soft steering" you describe. We will also likely replace the OEM shocks with Koni KSD shocks within the first year as many have had success with that switch.

Make each change one at a time so you don't waste your money.

Good luck and welcome!
Old 10-22-2008, 02:03 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We also went from an F350 dually to a motorhome and found that it takes some time to get used to the front wheels being behind you and no hood to give you a natural reference. Hang in there and also do as others have suggested and experiment with different air pressures in the tires. I have also noticed that sometimes new tires will steer better after they get a few miles on them.

Just because the steering feels loose does not mean that it does not affect the wheel direction with the slightest movement. Look out ahead and that will help to reduce over steer. Over steering sets up a chain reaction where the rear of the coach responds to the over steer causing you to over steer again in the opposite direction, and so on....

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LamarAt:

Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2013 Silverado Z71 CrewCab
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote