Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2017, 03:47 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Steering question

We have a 2009 Secpter 42PDQ(tag axle)
While driving I need to constantly correct the steering wheel to keep it driving straight.I have seen the thread on the wandering post but I don't know of this applies to a tag axle
DaveyD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2017, 03:53 PM   #2

Check tire pressure and be sure both front tires are the same and all the back tires are correct side to side.. Another problem is most people correct steering as soon as they feel the slightest bit of movement. Try not correcting and see if it continues to go straight. Another issue could be worn front end parts. If you have ball joints, they could be bad, if you have a straight front axle with king pins, they too can be worn, bushings, bearings etc can all cause the coach to wanted And lastly,
maybe you need to have the coach aligned.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:35 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Another issue could well be, that if this is the first MH you've ever drove, that you're just over steering the coach. With the large flat windshield and flat front MH right in front of you, you might not be looking far enough down the road. Looking too close at the road in front of the MH will cause you to over steer.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:33 PM   #4

It could be your wheels could be towed out. When I bought my Dynasty it was towed out
so I towed it in 3/16 and it now runs true.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:41 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Davey,
Vanwill is the guru of Monaco handling problems. He does a "tail wag test" where he sticks a long 2" bar in the hitch reciever, and uses it to get the coach "wagging" its tail, while someone watches the H frames. Very revealing. If you could duplicate this test it might help you determine whether X bars and watts links will help you. I would bet they will. There are a bunch of owners that are very happy with the results of these improvements, including some tag axles.
You might also consider contacting Mike Hughes for his recommendations, or even Van.
Good luck with your diagnostics. Watch out for "snake oil". The best way to correct handling issues is at the source.
Best of luck.
Roy
Old 02-23-2017, 04:24 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcb View Post
Davey,
Vanwill is the guru of Monaco handling problems. He does a "tail wag test" where he sticks a long 2" bar in the hitch reciever, and uses it to get the coach "wagging" its tail, while someone watches the H frames. Very revealing. If you could duplicate this test it might help you determine whether X bars and watts links will help you. I would bet they will. There are a bunch of owners that are very happy with the results of these improvements, including some tag axles.
You might also consider contacting Mike Hughes for his recommendations, or even Van.
Good luck with your diagnostics. Watch out for "snake oil". The best way to correct handling issues is at the source.
Best of luck.
Roy
To add to what Roy states about tag axles, several tag axles have had front Watts links installed and all noticed significant improvement in handling.

If while parked your steering has play in the steering wheel then you should start with the steering sector. If it is a TRW it can be adjusted. If a Shepard then it must be blueprinted or swapped to a TRW.

Be sure you have the correct air pressure on your tag. To much air pressure on the tag throws to much weight to the front. To little can does not shift enough weight to the front.

Roy's suggestion to contact Mike Hughes is a good one. His website is www.monacowatts.com

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:58 AM   #7

Im looking at a 2016 HR Ambassador 38FS, non tag, does anyone know if these wandering issues apply to the newer HR's? I won't be able to drive the rig until the 6th of March.

Thanks for your insight!

Keith

USAF Veteran 1975-81, Giant Talk ATC, Combat Crew Communications, proud DAV.
Squealers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:40 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
tHANKS TO ALL FOR THE RELIES
DaveyD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:45 PM   #9

this was the case also with our new Palazzo - in early 2015 I had it at the Gaffney Service Center for Freightliner, asking them to check the steering as it was off at about 11o'clock...

they simply switched both front tires, and it has steered straight since.... : ) sweet
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:00 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squealers View Post
Im looking at a 2016 HR Ambassador 38FS, non tag, does anyone know if these wandering issues apply to the newer HR's? I won't be able to drive the rig until the 6th of March.

Thanks for your insight!

Keith
I believe the 2016 Holiday Rambler is on a Freightliner chassis and the Watts link does not apply. Sloppy steering applies to all motorhomes but tends to be more of an issue with the Class A design where the front wheels are behind the driver and a long drag link must be used between the steering sector and the wheels.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering