Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2015, 03:51 PM   #1

Steering wheel alignment

I have a smart wheel that points to 11 o clock in the straight ahead position. Anyone know if you can make and adjustment at the steering wheel instead of below at the tie rods. I have pictures attached of the the wheel cover removed but can't figure out what to do after this position. Maybe a steering wheel puller is needed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1442180994472.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	106801   Click image for larger version

Name:	1442181039902.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	106802  

crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2015, 04:22 PM   #2

You need a steering wheel puller. Looks like your wheel is one notch off. My question is how did it get off center? Did you hit a curb really hard? Do the tires show any unusual wear?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Old 09-13-2015, 04:29 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Steering wheel alignment

You can usually move the steering wheel, but that may not be the best thing to do. The steering wheel will have grooves that fit over the splined shaft, so the adjustment is in multiples of the spline angle. That will get you closer to a straight steering wheel.

Doing it right, however, requires verifying that the front wheels are pointed straight ahead, and that the steering gear is in the center of its range of travel before moving the steering wheel on its shaft. This is done with the tie rod ends and steering link.

If you don't verify the position of the front wheels and steering gear first, you can create a situation where the front wheels can turn more sharply in one direction than the other. This may also damage the steering gearbox.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:56 PM   #4

The steering position is from switching out my steering gear. When I installed the slip joint, I must have been one notch off. I'd rather fix it via the steering wheel than loosening up the steering gear and adjust the slip joint again. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:01 PM   #5

On my 07 neptune you can remove the lower cover (in between your legs when driving) and access the steering shafts. Behind the cover is a joint you can remove the bolt and pull the joint apart. Then turn wheel straight and reinstall joint as close as possible to straight. Then reinstall the bolt.

Should not be a problem to get it straight as there are many splines on the shaft.

Chad
onechaddude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
On my 07 neptune you can remove the lower cover (in between your legs when driving) and access the steering shafts. Behind the cover is a joint you can remove the bolt and pull the joint apart. Then turn wheel straight and reinstall joint as close as possible to straight. Then reinstall the bolt.

Should not be a problem to get it straight as there are many splines on the shaft.

Chad
Chad, I have the exact same configuration. I'll have to check the configuration of the slots though. I have the exact same ujoint that connects to my steering gear, but it can only fit together in 1 configuration. The shaft has a flat side on 1 section of it where the pinch bolt can fit through. Hopefully it's not the same. That would be a really easy fix. Did you take yours apart and see if it was slotted on the shaft?
Old 09-13-2015, 07:35 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Craig aka CrazyKnight adjusted my steering wheel one spline like Chad did. I went from 11:00 to 12:00 straight up. This was necessary because of the TRW swap. Sanford PS NO wheel puller required. Just put the "black Plastic pieces back together between your legs.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:51 PM   #8

Crah. I did the same as sanford. I had to slightly adjust mine back to straight after the TRW steering gear swap.

Chad
onechaddude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:38 PM   #9

Chad and Sanford, thank you very much. You saved from doing it the hard way. I just got done make the correction. This forum is great.

Tags
steering