Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2018, 03:45 PM   #1

Step Cover - 2003 Monaco Windsor

My step cover quit retracting in and out but could still hear the motor running. Upon taking the step off I noticed that there are two arms that come off the shaft in the middle that attach to each side of the mechanism. Both of these arms have come unattached from the sides. They each attach to a steel post and one side no longer has the post so I see why my step cover isn't working.

My question is how do I replace that post as there is no way to put anything through the back side of the hole where post was located since the bar with the hole is flush with the slide. Also on the other side the post is there but not sure what kept the arm from sliding off the post as there doesn't appear to be a whole for carter pin or enough room to put something on the end.

Thanks for any help.
Coreyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2018, 04:36 PM   #2

Step Cover

If it is like ours you should be able to pull the cylinder out. Then you could drill it and put a new pin in it. Good Luck
okie mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:37 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyph View Post
My step cover quit retracting in and out but could still hear the motor running. Upon taking the step off I noticed that there are two arms that come off the shaft in the middle that attach to each side of the mechanism. Both of these arms have come unattached from the sides. They each attach to a steel post and one side no longer has the post so I see why my step cover isn't working.

My question is how do I replace that post as there is no way to put anything through the back side of the hole where post was located since the bar with the hole is flush with the slide. Also on the other side the post is there but not sure what kept the arm from sliding off the post as there doesn't appear to be a whole for carter pin or enough room to put something on the end.

Thanks for any help.
Not sure if my 06 and your coach is the same. My arm comes out from the center drive screw in 2 directions. At the end of the arm, it connects to a lever that is attached to the step cover. It's only connected with a screw. I don't see a post you're talking about.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:43 AM   #4

Thanks for your response Bill. I think we have the same step cover. The two arms that come off the center drive screw have a hole at the end that is used to attach to the metal stud on lever. It could be that someone has taken the screws out and replace with the metal stud which makes no sense. Trying to replace with screws but the issue I am having is there is not enough room to be able to slide a screw in from the back side as the lever sits flush with the slide. Thoughts?
Old 11-01-2018, 08:26 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyph View Post
Thanks for your response Bill. I think we have the same step cover. The two arms that come off the center drive screw have a hole at the end that is used to attach to the metal stud on lever. It could be that someone has taken the screws out and replace with the metal stud which makes no sense. Trying to replace with screws but the issue I am having is there is not enough room to be able to slide a screw in from the back side as the lever sits flush with the slide. Thoughts?
Here are a couple pictures that may help. They haven't been modified since the coach was new.
I think the screws you're talking about (that are missing on your setup), you can see in second picture.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6345.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	224583Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6346.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	224584

I've never taken those screws out. Not sure if it's a machine screw or a self driller of some sort.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:52 AM   #6

Can you tell if the other side is also attached with a screw. The other side of mine is where I have the steel post attached. Thanks for all your help.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:17 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Yep, I forgot to mention in the last post, but both sides identical.

It's hard to see in my picture, but under the screw and washer, there is a post. (it's dark because of the shadow) I'm guessing that is the post you're talking about?
Post a picture, if that will help.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:35 PM   #8

Thanks for all the help. I have fixed the step cover.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:01 PM   #9

This thread has a picture of the cover with pins

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/2011...-374467-2.html
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:54 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Coreyph -

Inquiring minds want to know... How did you fix your step?
I, and I'm sure others on here, keep a record of problems that others have encountered and what fixes have been made. Helps us all keep these things running.

Oh, and glad you got it fixed!

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2018, 07:27 AM   #11

I fixed the problem by replacing the screws that attach the arms to the slides on either side. The challenge was just trying to figure out how it all went back together.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:08 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, sounds like an easy (sorta) fix! We don't run across many of those in our coaches, nor inexpensive ones either. Gonna bookmark this thread, I keep worrying mine will quit someday.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:05 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
Thanks, sounds like an easy (sorta) fix! We don't run across many of those in our coaches, nor inexpensive ones either. Gonna bookmark this thread, I keep worrying mine will quit someday.
Ron,

it's not a difficult fix as long as you have the parts and they aren't bent or broken. Coreyph was dealing with loose and/or missing parts. It's hard to put a puzzle back together when you don't know what it is suppose to look like.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:27 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Heh-heh-heh, thanks Bill. Kinda like fitting something back into the box to return it, right?

My Endeavor step-cover would sometimes stutter and make the strangest noises when moving, but it never did fail.
With this Camelot, however, I'm certain that it is a hypochondriac. Between that and all the 'fixes/upgrades' that I keep finding that the PO did, I'm not going to take anything for granted. Wife recently joked (or was she??) that maybe we should buy another coach just for spare parts.

Tags
cover, monaco