RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2018, 11:46 PM   #1

Still confused

Some of you might remember my past post last Oct/Nov regarding my LN alternator. I had fluctuating voltage issue on the 04 Camelot. Pulled the alt, sent it in and it tested fine. Since they had it on the bench I had them put a new regulator on it. Just to be safe. Reinstalled it, tested it and saw 14 volts at the battery. Clipped a lead on the back terminal lug and saw 14v coming out. Volt meter on the dash surges up and down from 12-14.5v. Lights, fan motor and dash lights do the same thing. The Aladdin shows a constant 14v. The Alt/Chg idiot light is on red. Switch on the head lights or turn the fan blower on and it goes out. Does anyone have any ideas. Iím lost with no where to go. If this was 1865, I could just put a bullet in its head and go get another one, LOL. Just kidding.

DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2018, 12:06 AM   #2

alternator

maybe if you are reading a steady 14 at alternator but have fluctuations up front ----you have something kicking on and off dropping the voltage up front.
Remember you have 40feet of wire between the front and where the alternator is. There are couple of things you might check
1 that the wire from the battery is perfectly connected perhaps to a splitter that allows the coach battery and the starting battery to be charged from the alternator while the engine is running.
2. Your battery isolator/splitter is going bad and is putting in the fluctuations
3. some where in the 40 feet of wire going to the front run panel is a poor or dirty connection.
4. check grounds. in my rig they run a ground wire to the front so that is also 40 feet long and has connectors on each end. one of those could be introducing the fluctuations you see up front.

5. don't just look at the connections take them apart and clean, or if you have a fast volt meter you might be able to see the fluctuation by measuring across the connection .
6.Check the battery ground where it is bonded to the frame.
7. Look for a ground between the engine and frame which also winds up being the ground for the alternator .

Hope this helps

Old 12-28-2018, 04:01 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBunker View Post
Some of you might remember my past post last Oct/Nov regarding my LN alternator. I had fluctuating voltage issue on the 04 Camelot. Pulled the alt, sent it in and it tested fine. Since they had it on the bench I had them put a new regulator on it. Just to be safe. Reinstalled it, tested it and saw 14 volts at the battery. Clipped a lead on the back terminal lug and saw 14v coming out. Volt meter on the dash surges up and down from 12-14.5v. Lights, fan motor and dash lights do the same thing. The Aladdin shows a constant 14v. The Alt/Chg idiot light is on red. Switch on the head lights or turn the fan blower on and it goes out. Does anyone have any ideas. I’m lost with no where to go. If this was 1865, I could just put a bullet in its head and go get another one, LOL. Just kidding.
If this is when you are still plugged into shore power or the generator is running, I would try turning off the battery charger at the inverter control panel and see if the surging stops. The fact that the Alt/Chg idiot light is on makes me think the battery charger and the alternator are fighting each other. That can only happen when there is AC power to the inverter/charger.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:18 AM   #4

#1, Hold in the boost switch and see if the surging stops. If it doesn't, that would elemenate the isolation/charging system.

#2, Clamp a jumper cable to the alternator frame and the chassis. Confirming good ground.

#3, Do the same between the chassis and dash ground.

#4, jump from the alt + terminal directly to the chassis battery positive post. Elemenates that wiring.

#5, Make sure the belt is routed correctly and tensioned properly. A loose belt will slip under a higher alternator load.

Good luck.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
If this is when you are still plugged into shore power or the generator is running, I would try turning off the battery charger at the inverter control panel and see if the surging stops. The fact that the Alt/Chg idiot light is on makes me think the battery charger and the alternator are fighting each other. That can only happen when there is AC power to the inverter/charger.

Bob
On some Monacos there is a " Battery Maintainer Lockout Relay "
Its purpose is to stop the conflict between two charging systems
Mine is located in my rear elect bay and it is labeled .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:32 AM   #6

Quote:

Bob
If the 2 charging sources are actually " Fighting " each other, this complaint would be all over this site.

With folks running down the road with the generator running and large solar arrays also contributing to the charging, everyone would have surging lights.

There is no conflict or fight between 2 or more, 12 volt charging systems. That are all voltage controlled and the lower set point charging source will just drop out.

To the OP, one other thing to check is if the house batteries are miswired and the isolation relay is connecting to 6 volts. That will drag down the volts until the isolation solenoid opens again.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:43 AM   #7

I forgot to mention that I have a battery tender hard wired to the outside chassis battery in the battery bay. Itís new to the Motorhome and stays plugged in while on my 50 amp shore power. That shouldnít make any difference cause driving down the road itís unplugged and the situation still exists. This is because I figured out shore power doesnít charge the chassis batteries on this Camelot. Today I will clean all grounds and test the alt to frame ground going through everyoneís good points one by one. I will repost the results for future information.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:15 AM   #8

Red alt light?
On my coach, that light is activated by 6v relay wired to a term on the alt.
After troubleshooting, I found the alt regulator was the wrong one after a rebuild; an import was used. LN tech support advised only using an OEM reg.
This alt fail light problem has been discussed on this forum.
Daytonaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:28 AM   #9
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:

Bob

What bob says. My alt warning light will come on when on shoreline and the engine is running. Turning on the headlights or a good load settles it down,

The generator could cause the same issue depending on your setup.

The voltage varying at the dash is NOT likely an alternator/regulator issue since your battery voltage is steady and that is the voltage you should care about most.

The light weight wiring and the distance traveled to the dash instruments has the potential to do lots of silly things. A bad ground for the instrument panel would be highly suspect.

Find a good ground for your meter. NOT from the dash Run a wire to the battery if needed. Then use your own meter to measure the voltage on the dash guage. IF the input voltage holds steady be sure to check the ground side of the guage with the meter.

In any case, use that known good ground to apply it to the ground side of the guage to see if things settle down.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:19 PM   #10

Final prognosis and Fix

Ok, after the charging problems i have describes in previous strings and all the research done, I have found the problem. In the battery bay is a fuse holder with two hot leads coming out of it. I think its called the DVAC block. One of the wires, the white wire was not firmly attached to the connector and it was throwing bad ju ju to my dash DC meter and causing my idiot light to light up. The bottom line is this. With a little more experience (I now have) I could have made the whole situation much less troublesome. I didn't need to pull my Leese Nevelle and have it tested. Live and learn.

Also this IRV2 forum is so valuable and all the folks that put out input regarding my problem are my buddies for life as I run down the road in this coach. Its a great coach and I am impressed with the systems Monaco has incorporated into it. Problem is.....my DW doesn't like it because of its size and I am thinking of selling it for a Dynamax. It took me 2 years to locate a one owner custom ordered coach with low mileage. I have only had for 11 months. So if anybody wants a excellent Monaco with low mileage, let me know.
Im hoping my wife changes her mind.

Tags
fuse