Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2018, 08:53 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Still looking for 1st Motorhome

For your consideration, a 1998 HR Navigator WDS2, 57K miles. Listed as fair appearance, but photos indicate a nice interior, exterior shows signs that the unit may have been stored outside for a while. I'm willing to pay for inspection, but was hoping there might be an owner of one of these units that might chime in re: driving character, reliability, known issues. And would anyone know which vehicle shares the headlights?
sho4go is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2018, 09:44 PM   #2

Can't help with much information on that particular coach but the headlights should have some dot numbers on them and that should lead you to what they are were made for.
Dave
Woodman018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:07 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
It is a 20 yr old coach...Everything depends on condition and records and price. New that was a great coach. can you post pics or link?
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:26 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco purchased Holiday Rambler from Harley Davidson in 1996, so your coach was built by Monaco. I'm guessing it will be very similar to a 1998 Dynasty or Executive. It will have the first electronic injection Cummins 8.3L ISC, probably 300hp. It will have an Allison MD3060 6 speed trans.
It should be built on a Roadmaster chassis.
What length is it? (Some of the shorter coaches were a little road wild.)
Does it have a slide out?
Does it have a propane, or diesel generator (diesel is much better)?
Head lights will be easy to change.

Understand these early coaches can be a lot of work. If you do the labor yourself, you will save a lot.
Tires will cost $3-5k.
Batteries will cost $500-800.
You will need new TV's and audio systems.
New paint will cost from $15-20k.
Do some searches for like coaches on RVTrader.com and RVT.com to compare pricing. Also include coaches just a few years newer. Search nationwide.
Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:35 PM   #5

My 98 Dynasty has ford bronco headlights.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:00 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the responses. Here is the link to the unit that is under consideration. There aren't enough photos to get a real sense of what this thing looks like. They have the appearance rated as "fair", but the few views of the exterior provided don't look too bad for a 20 yr old coach. And, except for the crack in the Corian near the range, the interior looks pretty good actually. But, again there aren't enough photos. We are going to go take a look at it tomorrow and I expect to be disappointed, but everything is an education opportunity at this point.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:07 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry, but I have to add this note, here is a link to a 2007 Gasser Thor being sold near the HR Diesel Pusher for just a little less than the HR. The difference in quality is just incredible. I know that you're getting almost 10 yr newer mechanicals, but, lawdy, look at what's happening to the rest of the rig.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:02 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Don't have a Navigator, but do have a 1998 Imperial and are very happy with it. It has a 8.3 mechanical engine 325hp, not an ISC. I've found that having a side radiator (especially on this age MH) is very helpful. If you get the VIN#, you can call the MONACO HOT LINE 877-466-6226 and they can send you a copy of the build sheet for that vehicle.

Once you find a MH you are interested in, get professional inspections done. If you don't do this BEFORE you purchase, you run the risk of spending significantly more AFTER the purchase. If something is found, the inspector should be able to give you an estimate to repair. You can then decide if you want to proceed and can use it to negotiate a better price. You will be going into it with your eyes open. IF nothing is found, GREAT!!

I would suggest that you get an independent certified RV mechanic to inspect all the RV systems, including the roof. In addition I would have the engine, transmission, frame, etc. inspected by a diesel service shop. Having a coolant and oil analysis by a lab (like JG Lubricants ) would reveal any hidden problems. Engine repairs can be very expensive!!

Make sure everything is in writing!! Any purchase should be contingent upon successfully passing these inspections/tests.

I would do this to any used MH I was looking to buy.

Buy an Engine Oil Analysis Kit Today | Engine Oil Analysis Service

You get a 10% discount if you use "IRV2" as a promo code.

One final thought. Remember, everything is negotiable. MHs at PPL are on consignment. They don't make money unless the MH is sold so it is in their best interest to push the seller to accept a lower price.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:36 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, in case anyone needs to know, I think I determined the source of headlights for this coach. It's a bit of a surprise in that it isn't a large volume source like F-150s, Silverados or Dodge minivans. But it is a minivan, in fact two, the 96-98 Mercury Villager/Nissan Quest. Replacements are available from numerous sources. I may seem to be obsessing, but DW says she thinks the exterior looks dated and I'm trying to convince her that it's possible to update it some.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:15 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Visited the PPL location on Saturday and took a look at the HR Navigator. Salesman had contacted us on Friday and said that this unit had lots of issues, delamination showing at various spots, deteriorating, dull stripes, stains on the ceiling, stains on the carpet, stains on the walls, evidence of leaky roof and window seals, pet odors, other odors, etc, etc. We decided to go look at it to get an idea about what a rig with all of these issues looked like so we would have a better idea what and where to look for future shopping opportunities. PPL was correct in their assessment, odors were present, though perhaps not as pungent as they might have been had it not been 31 degrees outside. Evidence of water intrusion around several of the windows and the ceiling, delam showing at multiple locations on the exterior-probably in conjunction with leaky window seals, stripes were as advertised. These were symptoms of deferred maintenance of structural and cosmetic elements, I can only imagine what mechanical elements have gone lacking. Sooo, we're still looking. We did enjoy our experience at PPL. They provided a lot of data on three different coaches we looked at and were very forthcoming about the condition of the units. We don't regret having made the trip at all.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:42 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
It is nice to read that ppl was upfront about the condition. Never dealt with ppl and was curious about their business model.
Thanks for sharing

Tags
motorhome