Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2011, 07:35 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Question Stinky while driving!!

If the black/gray tanks are 50% or better, we get "stinky" smell quite a bit while driving! We've changed all the vent caps under the sinks, put a plug and weight over the shower drain, put water in the washer vent p-trap and it can still stink! Also have the cyclone weather vane over the one roof vent (shouldn't matter since we are moving). Sometimes it seems better with bathroom vent open a little... sometimes it doesn't seem to matter??
Since we full-time and boondock most of the time, it's becoming a bit too much!!!! Anyone else encountered this wonderful aroma while driving???
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #2

Do you have a washing machine and if so do you use it much? If I don't use my washing machine the trap for its drain dries out and it stinks bad. I have to remember to fill it a little and run the drain pump to fill the trap.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:36 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Mike.... I actually bought a piece of hard plastic hose that I have permanently mounted into the washer drain pipe so I can pour water into the vent/p-trap before we drive out or if we've "weebled" a lot... like I say, it "seems" to help sometimes, but... wow.... it can get pretty bad also. BTW... that's an easy modification.... I stuffed the plastic hose into the hole in the shelf above the w/d down into the drain pipe inlet and then attached it to the side wall so it comes out near the doors. I just put a little funnel into it and pour water... much easier than trying to run the washer......
Old 01-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Downsizer,
This "stinky" issue comes up from time-to-time, and I have myself experienced it with our 36' coach. From everything I have read and from my own experience, it seems to be a phenomenon related to the "negative" air pressure that can be generated in the "envelope" of the RV when driving. This pulls the smell out of the holding tanks through various points (such as the overflow in the toilet bowl, the shower and lavatory drains, etc.) You are correct in trying to keep the P-traps wet, but apparently the pressure can empty them.
What seemed to work for me is to crank the roof vent about an inch to create a draft directly out of the bath/toilet room. You can experiment with different schemes to find what works for your rig.
Hope this helps...
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #5

Bernie, thats a great idea on that hard plastic hose into the washer drain. I will have to due that. I friend of mine that had a 5th wheeler that kept on getting bad stinky odors and what he did was drain and flushed out both tanks and filled them up to around half full with fresh water and added Lemon Extract to one tank and another totally different smelling extract like Vanilla or Almond to the other tank and drove around then went back and did the sniff test, He could tell by the smell which tank it was causing the problem then he started to troubleshoot and found the vent pipe had come loose in the wall going up to the roof. They had forgot to glue it together.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:06 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Jim & Mike....... We will try the lemon/vanilla test next time we get into a park so we can drain and fill and then unhook and drive to see which aroma is there.... great idea Mike!
We've tried the bathroom vent and bedroom window also. Our front door is very drafty so that probably is sucking some odor up front while cruise'n too.... RF was in a minor accident with original owner and the door is very drafty/wind noisy...... Can't figure out how to seal better... hinge bolts/screws aren't coming out.... several already snapped... body shop I guess!?!?!
Old 01-30-2011, 11:06 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Check the seal on your toilet..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:58 AM   #8

Bernie, with the Cyclone roof vent it should always be sucking air out of the tank if you have forward movement or there is a wind blowing. This is according to Bernoulli. So there should never be a positive pressure in your tanks at any speed or window configuration. So there is a great possibility that either that one of the tank vent tubes has come loose or a mud dauber has built a nest in the vent tube and it is blocked off. Maybe you need to pull the top off that Cyclone vent and run a plumbers wire snake down the hole and make sure it is open.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:36 PM   #9

Downsizer, Sealand toilets have over flow holes. If this is your toilet style, Sealand offers plugs to fit holes. These holes are internal pee traps and the toilet needs to be filled until water runs in to keep them wet.

Life Style
Life Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:23 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks guys.... still haven't done the vanilla test though. Mike - here's the pictures on that hard plastic tubing I told you about.... simple, cheap, easy and works!! I have the end near the door extra long at the clamp so I can just push down and pull it out to put funnel in and fill... works great!
Probably took longer to remove and redo clothes!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize of IMGP8158.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	8506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize of Rotation of IMGP8164.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	8507  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize of Rotation of IMGP8159.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	8508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize of Rotation of IMGP8160.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	8509  

Old 02-25-2011, 08:00 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsizer View Post
If the black/gray tanks are 50% or better, we get "stinky" smell quite a bit while driving! We've changed all the vent caps under the sinks, put a plug and weight over the shower drain, put water in the washer vent p-trap and it can still stink! Also have the cyclone weather vane over the one roof vent (shouldn't matter since we are moving). Sometimes it seems better with bathroom vent open a little... sometimes it doesn't seem to matter??
Since we full-time and boondock most of the time, it's becoming a bit too much!!!! Anyone else encountered this wonderful aroma while driving???
I just got one of these and plan to connect it to a key hot circuit so it is always on while we drive. I have a good place to install it on the vent pipe as it exits the black water tank. I may also use a diode and connect it to the bathroom light switch.
Lil' Stanker In-Line Holding Tank Deodorizer Fan

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:27 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Downsizer.......A couple of ideas.....

-We have the MaxxAir vents over both Fantastic fans, the one in the main portion of the coach and the one over the bathroom vent. Our vent lids are always open. (We live in California so really cold air is not an issue). We've never had a smell issue.

-If negative pressure is the cause, add a MaxxAir vent and reverse one of the Fantastic fans while you're driving so that you force air in.

-Are you using the SaniCon system? Do you have a sewer smell in your utillity bay? If so, the 3" hose on the SaniCon connection needs to be replaced with a good quality, heavy duty hose.

Good Luck
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
We have the vents & covers as well. Utility bay fine - switched to the DrainMaster system - that part is great! Even replaced vent caps under sinks - must admit though that seems to be "stinky" area???
Old 02-25-2011, 07:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsizer View Post
We have the vents & covers as well. Utility bay fine - switched to the DrainMaster system - that part is great! Even replaced vent caps under sinks - must admit though that seems to be "stinky" area???
You say it is stinky from under the sink? I read on another post that some MH kitchen sinks drain into the black tank.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, boondock, gray tank, sewer smell, stinky aroma