Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2010, 10:30 PM   #1

Strange wire on battery?

07 Camelot, I noticed a wire that has come loose of my house batteries. It looks like a phone wire. Anyone know what this is? Monitoring something?

Thanks....
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2010, 11:46 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a temp sensor that goes to the inverter. It's about the size of a matchbook and stuck between the batteries. The wire looks like a phone wire.
BPOE #2504
Bobs911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:22 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It does sound like the inverter temp sensor. Ours is attached to the negative terminal of the house battery with the negative cable that goes to the inverter

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:29 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
On one of the house battery cases you should find a small disc type object glued on. It senses batt. temp and signals the converter to adjust charging. I'm not sure the wire can be re-attached to the sensor.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:33 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
FYI, My solar charger also has a temp sensor stuck on to 1 of the house batteries.
RickT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #6

I thought about it being a heat sensor however it was attached to the positive side of the house batteries. It makes no sense to me.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too am guessing you have a Xantrex inverter. Possible a Prosine.

If it's a prosine there is a big "yellow" thing either taped to the side of the batteries or bolted to one of the lugs.

And ..... The wire that connects it to the Inverter is a standard telephone "Wall to set" type cable. 4 wires (I think only 2 are used) with standard RJ plug on the inverter end.. It is soldered in at the sensor end.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #8

zman,
While the responses you are getting appear, on the surface, to be missing the point, I believe that you are getting good information. Can you get to your inverter and see if there is a similar wire connected to a phone type connection there? It's possible that this is the way it was designed for the temp sensor and it's also possible that the person who hooked it up did so to the positive terminal by mistake. While the positive connection may make no sense, it's unlikely that anything other than a temp sensor would connect to your battery with a phone wire.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #9

Great onfo guys! I will check my inverter tomorrow and post what I find. I think you all are correct, its a temp lead giving info to my inverter. I think it was hooked up wrong.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #10

Just looked at my inverter. Its a Magnum. There is a wire that looks like a phone wire that plugs into it. So, it appears that it has been installed wrong on the battery side. It just had an eyelet on the end and attached to the positive terminal. Should it have a temp sensor on the end of it that is attached to the battery?
Old 05-02-2010, 04:26 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Here is the Magnum inverter manual. On page 14 of that manual there is a drawing of the inverter and associated wiring that shows the temp sensor attached to the negative post of 6v the house batteries. Not sure if it makes an electrical connection but probably wise not to attach elsewhere. Other than directly placed into the electrolyte the battery post is the best place to sense battery temperature.

http://www.magnumenergy.com/Literatu...%20Series).pdf

As far as I know this is the manner in which Monaco senses battery temp.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman62 View Post
Just looked at my inverter. Its a Magnum. There is a wire that looks like a phone wire that plugs into it. So, it appears that it has been installed wrong on the battery side. It just had an eyelet on the end and attached to the positive terminal. Should it have a temp sensor on the end of it that is attached to the battery?
The sensor picks up the temp from the lug. As I recall there is a "thing" under the heat-shrink end that sends the info. The lug should be on the negative post.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #13

Thanks again guys.... short of coming over and fixing this for me you guys have been a great help!