Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2016, 11:51 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Suggestions where to mount Hughes Autoformer?

The stock Power-Cord Reel and Transfer Switch are mounted the far-aft driver-side compartment of our '06 Endeavor. I have since added a Progressive EMS-50amp Protector box as well in there. And now I want to permanently install a Hughes 50-amp Autoformer. However, there isn't any room left.

I tried mounting the Autoformer in the next compartment forward (where the AC fan and jack hydraulics are located), but that became very cumbersome really quick when it was time to connect/disconnect power and to check the boost lites.

I'm considering moving the Transfer Switch and EMS box up into the coach. There's room in the closet and/or under the drawers directly above that aft compartment.

But I'm concerned about any safety reasons or regulations as to whether they couldn't be mounted inside.

Assuming I stay with proper wire-gage, et al, can anyone come up with any thoughts why that wouldn't work?

Does anyone else have their transfer switch/etc in the coach, and not in an outside compartment?

Thanks!
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2016, 11:57 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Cant see why not. They dont off gas like a battery. I recently purchased an Autoformer, but will just leave it out by the pedestal.
Remember, your Autoformer has to be wired ahead of your EMS .
Old 10-20-2016, 11:57 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are going to run the autoformer, why are you keeping the progressive? I would just replace one with the other unless you don't have the model with surge protection.

In that case just reorganize your bay that the reel is in, I'm sure it would fit if you moved some stuff around?? My power reel bay is rather large though, so definitely not apples to apples.

post pics, so we can offer more helpful suggestions perhaps?
nukerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukerj View Post
If you are going to run the autoformer, why are you keeping the progressive?
two different problems/ protection, hughes is for low voltage that slowly destroys many electrical parts such as motors, progressive is for spikes or missing legs... IMHO, both are needed to protect you rv investment...
Old 10-20-2016, 12:48 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
'96 - right you are about it being ahead of the EMS. And thanks for the confirmation about where & why for mountings. Only downside I could come up with is that some of the transfer switches can 'buzz' due to loose parts inside, but being in the closet (uhhh, 'it' - not me) I wouldn't hear it. Heat doesn't seem to be a factor, as they don't get very hot either.

nukerj & kerryvan - Yes, the EMS does different things than the autoformer, even tho I got the autoformer with the surge protection option. The EMS has saved me so many times over the years by spotting hi/lo voltage, bad grounds, etc, I can't count. Our favorite CG often has lo-voltage to the point that the EMS would trip out right after showing upwards of 20+ amps and less than 104 volts running just one air-conditioner! With the Hughes, I can stay on the grid and not worry about my eqpt. In any case, having both is a belt-and-suspenders approach.

I took a couple pics, but they don't tell much more than "NO! It won't fit in here!" And I forgot to mention that I have a 2nd EMS in that bay too, for when I added a 3rd air conditioner. The AirCond is switchable between everything on the single 50-amp power cord or having it on its own separate 20/30-amp line. And the bay isn't all that big to begin with, hence the prospective move.

By the way, for several years Monaco had mounted the power-reels (both cord and hose) backwards. They are supposed to be mounted with the hose/cord coming off the top of the reel which makes them lay smoothly upon retraction, but Monaco had them coming off the bottom of the reel causing the hose/cord to bunch up or bind. If yours comes off the bottom of the reel, you might want to consider flipping the reel(s)... a 'fairly simple' task.

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2016, 04:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryvan View Post
two different problems/ protection, hughes is for low voltage that slowly destroys many electrical parts such as motors, progressive is for spikes or missing legs... IMHO, both are needed to protect you rv investment...
The Progressive unit does protect against high (132v) and low (104v) voltages in addition to the other features listed. Check their web site for details.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
The stock Power-Cord Reel and Transfer Switch are mounted the far-aft driver-side compartment of our '06 Endeavor. I have since added a Progressive EMS-50amp Protector box as well in there. And now I want to permanently install a Hughes 50-amp Autoformer. However, there isn't any room left.

I tried mounting the Autoformer in the next compartment forward (where the AC fan and jack hydraulics are located), but that became very cumbersome really quick when it was time to connect/disconnect power and to check the boost lites.

I'm considering moving the Transfer Switch and EMS box up into the coach. There's room in the closet and/or under the drawers directly above that aft compartment.

But I'm concerned about any safety reasons or regulations as to whether they couldn't be mounted inside.

Assuming I stay with proper wire-gage, et al, can anyone come up with any thoughts why that wouldn't work?

Does anyone else have their transfer switch/etc in the coach, and not in an outside compartment?

Thanks!

My transfer switch is under the bedroom closet.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:44 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I assume you've looked at attaching it to the 'ceiling' of that bay haven't you?
Old 10-21-2016, 07:28 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
charliej - thanks for the confirmation about a moving it to a new location.

tinstar1114 - yup, already checked that spot. Still no room.

See pics...
Not sure if I can get the Hughes in that bay at all, after a test-fit. If I place it so I can see the little lites easily, it gets in the way of the cord-reel. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1189.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	142146

If I place it flat against the aft side (after moving the other boxes) I won't be able to see the lites very well. Not sure what I'm gonna do now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1187.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	142145

For anyone that already has a Hughes Autoformer (or similar), how important is it to see those little boost lites all the time?
Old 10-21-2016, 10:20 AM   #10

Well they say you need to check the yellow light every time you plug in, but in your case you have the Progressive unit that will show any problems such as open ground so I would say it's not all that important to see the lights. Glad you posted pictures on how you turned the cord reel around looking at mine I thought it might be a big job to turn it around now I can see just what it entails having to lengthen the output cord
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:55 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow, you got a lot of protection jammed in that little spot!!

Have you looked at using a TRC Surgeguard RVC? Thats what I have along with the precision circuits load shedding EMS. So I was able to get rid of my Progressive surge protector. I may get the autoformer eventually, But I drycamp more than park camp.
nukerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:32 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
mccrob - Actually the toughest part of reversing the cord-reel was lifting it out of the bay and turning it around. That thing is HEAVY! Bolt-holes lined up perfectly, and most of the swaps I've done for folks, or heard about, had sufficient 'pigtail' cord to reach the transfer switch again. Really makes stowing/reploying the cord a whole lot easier when it's set up the way it's designed to be. Let me know if I need to shoot some more pics, or describe anything about turning it around.

nukerj - From what I'm reading, it seems like they're both doing about the same thing, yes?

Granddad used to say: "Be sure to always use protection", and I'm following his advice. I work maintenance at a park in the FL Keys, and get to work on all kinds of electrical issues coming in. These boxes are expensive, but then so is my residential frig, microwave, tv's, pc's, etc, etc, etc.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:26 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
See'ing The three lights on the Autoformer isn't important to me, because both of my units are portable, so when I pull into a site, the first thing I do is plug in the EMS alone, turn a few things on, and check the voltage to decide whether I need the Autoformer or not. If I decide to unplug and add the Autoformer, I already know the pedestal is wired correctly, and the yellow light on the Autoformer will come on.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:04 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Just typed a long post and hit SEND, and irv2 timed-out on me... again. Nothing else does that

Short version:

Still working on the details but I think it's gonna be nice. I want as much versatility (as Ben just said). Pics to follow soon, if anyone is interested.

An interesting side journey... I am using an extension cord to parallel both 50amp legs to 15amp while working on the mains to keep frig & lites alive, and I noticed a big discrepancy between the leg-readouts on the Progressive Industries EMS-50 display - one was 116vac and the other 122vac when they shoulda been the same. I then remembered maybe 8-9 years ago helping a CG-neighbor install his EMS-50 and it kept tripping as soon as he plugged it in. A call to Prog Ind and they suggested it was not calibrated correctly and we should try tweaking the pots to bring the 'sensed' voltage up to what was real. A quick turn of a tiny scredriver and all was well.

So, never one to miss an opportunity to 'tweak' something, last nite I got out my rms VOM and tiny screwdriver and matched the displays to that same as my vom.

Does it make a big (or even small) difference? Yes, it does. I am confident of my power-display readouts now, but more importantly the EMS-50 can do its job if the incoming power is actually running high or low, and not what it 'thinks' it's being told internally.

So, if you have an EMS-50... or an EMS-30... might be a good thing to check to see if it's doing what it and you believe it's doing.