Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #1

Sunvisor

It seems like every week we have a different problem come up. When we parked I lowered the sunvisors and then later when I put them up the passenger side worked, but the drivers side visor will not go up. They have one fuse that handles both sides. Any ideas where to look and is there a way to manually recoil the visor?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #2

Since you say that one fuse controls both sides and the passenger side worked, then you would not have a blown fuse. Try lightly toggling the switch in the up position repeatedly for about 15 seconds. If it works, you have a switch contact problem. If that doesn't work, you will have to remove the plate that houses the switch and see if you have a wire loose. Also if you hear a noise when toggling the switch in the down position, then you know your motor is ok. Sounds like your contacts in the switch could be worn or dirty and/or that wire has come loose under the plate. I think my fuse is in the front run bay if you want to take a look there and see that it is indeed ok. If nothing works, then you may have to remove the shade from its mount and disconnect the wires to the motor. Let us know what you find.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:25 AM   #3

This AM I read your reply and played with the switch for while and then decided to put my fingers in the roller and try to turn it while holding the swithch and it started right up. Apparently the motor is getting week but it seems to go up and down okay for now. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDJ View Post
This AM I read your reply and played with the switch for while and then decided to put my fingers in the roller and try to turn it while holding the swithch and it started right up. Apparently the motor is getting week but it seems to go up and down okay for now. Thanks for your help.
If the motor starts up when you rotate it a bit, that indicates that there is either a dead spot on the commutator, or that the brushes are not making good contact to the commutator. If the motor happens to stop on a dead spot, it won't start up. If it stops on a good section, often it will be able to skip over the dead section. A dead commutator section is usually non- repairable on the small motor in a shade, and will make it unreliable. Get ready to replace that shade.

Dick Lucas. '04 HR Imperial
Old 05-25-2013, 03:11 AM   #5

Absolutely right and this sun visor will receive minimum use for the remainder of it's life. I understand these visors cost several hundred dollars each and mostly I have used it to block some of the sun after parking. Now it will be a visor for driving safely into the sun only. Thanks for everyones help. It was all the way down and I was figuring I would have to remove it for the rest of this trip, so I am just glad it is out of the way.